Brewer's Diet

Options
ldrosophila
ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
I did a search on the topic but didnt see much...

Brewer's diet has any one tried it, has it been successful meaning lowered blood pressure and a healthy baby, how safe was it, did your doctor approve of the diet?

I'm already starting with some hypertension early into my pregnancy (11 weeks), and I'm freaking out.

Replies

• aprilkida
    aprilkida Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    They use Dr. Brewer's diet for The Bradley Method of natural childbirth with the idea in mind that you need to eat nutritiously to keep yourself and the baby healthy and low risk. I've just started with my classes so I'm new to it but it seems very reasonable. Sorry I can't be much more help that that!
  • ingridveenema
    ingridveenema Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I did with my 2nd pregnancy and had a very healthy baby and pregnancy:) My midwife was happy with it,but was OK with a little less protein.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    http://www.drbrewerpregnancydiet.com/

I am doing it now...this is my fourth day. I can't eat 2600 calories a day yet (I'm at 1900-2000) but maybe I will when my appetite returns (I'm 12 weeks and still nauseous). It is basically high protein, whole grains and high in vitamins/fiber. Nothing unusual and nothing that anyone couldn't do. In fact, I think I would do it even if I didn't have preeclampsia issues. I have had preeclampsia in both of my previous pregnancies so anything I can do to help is worth it. My doctor also has me taking baby aspirin which may help. I've seen some studies that show Vitamin C, E and Calcium also help.

I am praying that having a baby in the winter helps too....good luck to you!
  • igottaworkout
    igottaworkout Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    2600 calories a day?? Wow, if I ate that much I'd probably explode. 40 weeks x 7 days x 1000 extra cals/day = 280000 extra calories over the pregnancy = 280000cal/3500 cals/lb = 80lb more gained.

I would not eat a general amount of calories that is not based on your body's requirements.. I'd have gained 80lb + 18lb = 98lb right now plus whatever I'm going to gain over the next 5 weeks :)

But the diet does seem healthy, lots of protein, fresh veggies/fruit and not too much carbs esp. refined ones. That's basically what I eat except I adjust it to my daily calorie needs.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    2600 calories a day?? Wow, if I ate that much I'd probably explode. 40 weeks x 7 days x 1000 extra cals/day = 280000 extra calories over the pregnancy = 280000cal/3500 cals/lb = 80lb more gained.

I would not eat a general amount of calories that is not based on your body's requirements.. I'd have gained 80lb + 18lb = 98lb right now plus whatever I'm going to gain over the next 5 weeks :)

But the diet does seem healthy, lots of protein, fresh veggies/fruit and not too much carbs esp. refined ones. That's basically what I eat except I adjust it to my daily calorie needs.

I'm not eating that much either and I don't think he means for the 2600 to be for every person. I am already overweight so I'm aiming for under a 20 pound gain....Dr. Brewer is more concerned with preclampsia than weight gain though. I mainly aim for all of the food groups he recommends and some of them intersect. If I eat cheese, I mark off a protein and a dairy, etc. I can easily do it at under 2000 calories and I eat well over 100 grams of protein a day (usually 120).