Chocolate cravings

Options
Hello everyone!!! I am almost two months post op and majorly craving chocolate!!! I haven't had any chocolate since July before my surgery and pre-op diet on August 13. I mostly eat healthy vsg low carb high protein choices. What do you recommend that I can eat that is chocolate but not too fattening or full of sugar? A chocolate protein bar maybe? Let me know....thanks! Also....I am craving crunchy. Chewing ice and eating low fat crackers with dinner has helped but I want something else like popcorn or similar but a HEALTHY choice. I will not go back to eating my old unhelathy things. What do you recommend?

Replies

• Auntrobbie1
    Options
    I am struggling with the crunchy thing big time! I'm about 6 weeks post op so I've just been starting real food and I feel like its absolutely taboo to have any carbs. Another VSG'r told me if she absolutely had to have something to crunch she would have a few of the callbee snapea crisps 1oz serving 130 calories 6 grms of fat and 4 gms.of protein. There are also hummus chips and kale chips. Not too sure about the kale chips but I liked the hummus chips. Really trying to find good substitute for my chip fixation. And then limit to once a week, very hard for me.

Chocolate not so much so far but maybe measure out tablespoon or so of mini chocolate would love to hear more feedback from other VSG' rs!
  • actg95
    actg95 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    The one thing I like is the Metragenix Choc Peanut Butter Protein bar - 30 grams of protein, it is chewy and doesn't taste too bad. I have used this once or twice when craving something like cheesecake. (I don't tend to crave chocolate.)

Once upon a time -- I tried weight watchers and the presenter told our group that ONE Hershey's kiss will satisfy most cravings. If the protein bar doesn't work, that might.

On the crunch, I like nuts. They are higher in calories and fat, bu they help hold you longer and I like the flavor. Some are more heart healthy than others, but that is something to look into.

Good luck!

Mel
  • actg95
    actg95 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Forgot to add...my surgery was 03/05/12. My weight loss tracker is from August 2011 to now...I lost the first 48 with the nutritionist and the pre surgery shakes.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Try the Swiss Mix Hot Chocolate mix that only has 25 cals in it. It does a couple grams of protein also in it I think. Some of the protein bars too might work. There are some on Bariatric Choice that look like those chocolate wafer cookies that I tried last week. I think they are called BariWise. Think Thin has a good protein bar called Chocolate Brownie I think that is tasty too.
  • themommyiwannabe
    themommyiwannabe Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I eat chocolate protein bars and they can really help with that. I also drink chocolate protein and cookies/cream protein shakes. Those help with the sweet cravings. Actually, I never crave anything sweet because of the shakes and bars. Have you tried some raw vegetables such as celery or carrots to help with the wanting something crunchy. If you like pig skins, they have 0 carbs and are crunchy. I don't like them, but I have a friend who eats them all of the time. My husband loves the BQ pig skins.
  • maeya321
    Options
    I eat Zone protein bars chocolate/almond. You find them in Wal-mart - satisfies my chocolate cravings, my crunch needs and adds protein! It's a win win all around! LOL
  • truddy6647
    truddy6647 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    new directions have a chocolate mint protien bar...taste like a candy bar to me....all russel stovers sugar free gronala bar has chocolate in it and taste good
  • rlshopp6
    rlshopp6 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    There are lots of chocolate protein drinks, I liked Premier Protein Chocolate (the ones already mixed always taste better to me than the powder ones). With you being 2 months out from surgery I'm not sure how well your body would tolerate a hershey's kiss? I'm almost 2 years from surgery, and I can have a few bites of chocolate and not have any reactions, but I don't think I tried anything that was "just sugar" until at least 6 months post surgery.

Chocolate pudding, sugar free and non-fat is also a good one. I don't remember what other restrictions you have at 2 months post-op, but if your program allows you to call the nutritionist on staff and ask for recommendations? My program allows for that, and it's a great way to get ideas without having to have a full regular session with the nutritionist.

Good luck! Definitely finding something to satisfy the craving is a good idea, but sticking within what you're allowed and considering all yours goals is what is most important.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I get protein bars from my surgeon's office. I prefer the Cinnamin Bars, but their chocloate are pretty good too. Curnchy and salty are more my things. I can get stuff for that there too. All is high in protein, low calories and carbs. The local health food store might have a better selection than the grocery store.
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    I bought Protein Hot Cocoa and Cappuccino to sip on in those first months post op. Also, sugar free chocolate/vanilla swirl pudding and SF fudge pops were my best friends LOL

Try: http://www.mybariatricpantry.com

PS-CAPP_VAN-2T.jpg?1326465359
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Try sugar free chocolate pudding with plain greek yogurt for a chocolate pudding/ custard sensation.
    I read about mixing the sugar free puddings with the greek yogurt and I'm addicted, its FANTASTIC and full of protein. If it gets too lumpy add some milk to smooth it out. Some people say if its slightly frozen it tastes like ice cream, which I hope to try soon.
  • LexThaSongbyrd
    LexThaSongbyrd Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I use Body Fortress whey protein powder mix. They have cookies n cream, chocolate and chocolate peanut butter. I make protein cookies/bars by adding oatmeal, egg, etc. and then bake. I also use it to make pancakes.

GNC also has the Crunch Pro Lite protein bars (make sure it's the "lite" version) and there is a chocolate peanut butter one that totally fulfills my snickers/peanut butter cup cravings! It's like 15 grams of protein and 190 calories. Sugars/carbs is not extremely horrible, especially since I don't eat the whole thing in 1 sitting.

You can also add sugar free chocolate pudding mix to plain greek yogurt. I've been having extreme sweet attacks post surgery (I was a salt lover prior) and all these options have really helped me.
  • specialemy
    specialemy Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    How about having it as a Calcium Citrate chewable? the brand was 'Healthy Indulgence' and I used to eat these 3 times a day daily when I couldn't bear the large pills. They taste just like dark chocolate and I don't think I had any chocolate cravings for a while when I had these. I used to find these in the Vitamin Shoppe...it's pricey but was worth it at the time I was taking them.

Here's a link: http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp?id=YB-1042
  • scrapingd
    scrapingd Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    there are hersheys sugar free mini bars, or reeces cups or russel stover has sugar free chocolate as well.. small and tasty...
  • vmamccoy
    vmamccoy Posts: 1
    Options
    For crunchy salty... try soy nuts. They are very crunchy and high in protein. I keep a bag at my desk for when I need a salt fix.
  • Nadikins08
    Nadikins08 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Great Idea!!
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    A chocolate protien shake, SF/FF chocolate pudding cup, chocolate protein bar and for crunchy with a protein kick try pork rinds. They come in various flavors and my absolute favorite is Turkey Creek brand Chicharron Chili Lime. They are the bomb!
  • Cagsfa
    Cagsfa Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    For Crunchy I have apple slices with breakfast. I have a hot sugar free coco everyday...keeps me full and it is delish.
  • specialemy
    specialemy Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Perhaps take a chocolate protein drink that you like and put it in the freezer to harden to an almost slushy or even harder than that consistency. Almost like having a 'Wendy's type frosty". Also maybe sugar-free chocolate pudding.