Painted Minis

Options
schonkreuz
schonkreuz Posts: 493 Member
I've never painted minis before or even played a table top game but my husband recently got into Warmachine/Hordes so I thought I'd give it a go :) I don't think it looks too bad for my firs try! Thoughts?

kdcZ3cu.jpg?1

sS1ckDD.jpg?1

uNvVaMM.jpg?1

Edit: Well apparently I'm not sure how to post pictures : / Don't know how to make them fit

Replies

• kvandeman
    kvandeman Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Piece of advice. Prime the minis before you paint them. If you are going for darker tones prime in black and for brighter white. If going for medium you can use grey. By priming them the paint will stick to the metal and go on more evenly. Other than that it looks pretty good for a first try.

I do have to say that I am not a painter but my husband does. I feel to insecure to paint because he does such a bang up job.
  • schonkreuz
    Options
    Yeah thankfully hubby knows what he is doing and they are primed with a spray paint grey :)
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Nice work. You are ready to draw up the stats for it and get it in to a combat.
  • schonkreuz
    Options
    Very excited to play my first game Saturday, trying to get my other pieces painted before that but the baby has other plans.
  • kvandeman
    Options
    Sorry looking back after I posted I could see the grey primer. I do like that ice blue that you are using.
  • schonkreuz
    Options
    No problem at all kvandeman :) And thanks, I didn't want to paint it the traditional colors
  • kvandeman
    Options
    Traditional sucks. They are imaginary creatures so why can't you paint them any color you want? My husband and I play fantasy Warhammer and I play the Orcs and Goblins. He paints for me. I told him I wanted a squad of blue gobos, to look like Smurfs. He said he couldn't because they are green. Who says they are green. One of these days I will just have to paint them myself.
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I can see some merit in having traditional colors. It provides a continuity to the structure of the game. Sometimes the color of a unit will be the characteristic that is most easily recognized and making normally green orcs that blue might make them look too similar to another unit which could make the already complex combat system even more complex and as a result it could take longer to finish.

One of my friends who painted figurines for a gaming store told me the number one goal should be making it blatantly obvious what that figurine is supposed to be. Sure they are fantasy characters and sometimes nontraditional color schemes can look amazing but when it comes to playing a fantasy game a dragon of a different color means that he has different abilities. You don't want to have to remember in the middle of a game that my gold dragon is actually painted silver.

If you just plan to put it on your shelf paint it whatever color you like but if you want to use it in the game I think you should use the proper colors for ease of recognition and to help speed up combat decisions.
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    <<<<<a few of my painted minis!

Personally I under coat in bleached bone spray. That's just my choice, I think it gives a less stark base for any other colours. I've not had any lessons but just make it up as I go along!!!

I have been known to stop minis back 2 or 3 times until I get it the way I want!!!

It's fun and relaxing and I think if you feel like thst too, you should carry on painting! You've done a really good job and you should be proud!!!!
  • styledsky
    styledsky Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    There are a few of us miniature enthusiasts here. Here's one of mine:

viktoria_1.jpg

Feel free to add me as a friend
  • susanhiding
    susanhiding Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I'm impressed by both posters! I learned last summer at Gen Con, but haven't had a chance to apply my skills. I've been waiting for the Bones kickstarter I helped to show up.
  • schonkreuz
    Options
    I'm impressed by both posters! I learned last summer at Gen Con, but haven't had a chance to apply my skills. I've been waiting for the Bones kickstarter I helped to show up.

are you going this year? Because of a new baby we can only go one day but I'm sooo excited!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I've done a few at Emerald City Comic-con. It was a intro/workshop for newbies. Let's just say if there's a miniatures game out there that's set in the zombie apocalypse setting, my painting skills would be unrivaled!
  • mruntidy
    mruntidy Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    That looks awesome :D and a really good start too. Here are a couple of mine;

221836_1038372762072_4650_n.jpg

226716_1038372882075_5495_n.jpg

231041_1038373002078_6369_n.jpg
  • schonkreuz
    Options
    That looks awesome :D and a really good start too. Here are a couple of mine;

221836_1038372762072_4650_n.jpg

226716_1038372882075_5495_n.jpg

231041_1038373002078_6369_n.jpg

They look awesome, I'm so nervous about painting the face on some of my small base models. : /