So...

Options
AleksD3
AleksD3 Posts: 194 Member
what made you all decide to do WW instead of just MFP.

I've gone back and forth for a while (years actually) and am currently counting both. I prefer WW but I'm not sure why, maybe because it feels more like a game instead of a "diet," but just wondering why the rest of you are choosing this.

And i really, really want to stop counting both because it's annoying so I'm slowly moving towards that.

Replies

• stratcat45
    stratcat45 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I joined WW in 2010 under the old point system (which 3 mos. later changed to the current points plus). Within the year I lost 40 lbs. and made Lifetime. But I only made Lifetime at a very small margin. When I went thru maintenance they told me raise my daily pts to 35; I did and gained...so they told me to keep lowering by a point until I found my maintaining daily point value. The next thing I knew, I was back at 29 pts (which was the lowest you could go at the time) and now I wasn't maintaining or losing...I got to lifetime but couldn't really focus after that because I couldn't maintain. It got frustrating, I began to eat.

For a while I maintained at 6 lbs higher than my goal (my doctor believes that is probably where I should of set goal); but stopped WW and old habits creep back very fast. I'm now 20 lbs. over goal. My doctor says to work on losing 10 lbs. and when I get to where I was maintaining for a length - stay there; he'll write a note for Weight Watchers. Although he has no problem with what their weight ranges are...he doesn't like that your weight range is judged only by your height. He says age and body build need to be looked at as well.

I've tried SparkPeople, LoseIt, MFP and numerous others...but it all comes back to "WW worked" - it's the only dieting I ever did that truly worked and it didn't feel like a diet. I miss the group dynamics and I really think I need that accountability of weighing in every week.

I'm going to do E-Tools to get me through the summer and head back to meetings in September, unless I gain more..then meetings will come sooner.
  • SASSYGIRLY30
    SASSYGIRLY30 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    In DEC of 2010 I got really bad report back from my doc. My diabetes was completely out of control and my cholesterol was terrible!!! He wanted me to go on all these pills and i said NO..I will do it through diet and exercise... He basically said well if you start feeling really terrible go to emergency and they will put you on an IV and not feed you for a few days to get you back in control... I left in tears... This was a few days before Christmas and I said in 2011 I have to change or I'm going to die.

I started WW on the PP+ plan (Jan 2011) and lost 37 lbs in 5 months, got my sugar in control and was feeling fantastic. By the the following Dec I went back to my (NEW) doc and got tested. I did so well all year that the diabetes was gone.. :) I was so happy and proud of myself that I gave me the strength to continue..

Forward to Sept 2012 - I was following WW but not religiously but still in control, I got pregnant and miscarried and found out I had a huge fibroid that was causing my issues with my stomach... I had surgery scheduled for Oct and i was extremely stressed and depressed from all that had happened that i just stopped following WW, I still ate healthy and exercised to make sure i was in good condition for surgery but once i had the surgery i was thrown into recovering and was extremely upset with all that had happened.

I got clearance at the end of Jan to workout again and I started MFP. From Feb until the end of March I yo-yo'd the same 5 lbs and didn't understand why this was happening.. So i rejoined WW 4/20 and logged in a few days using MFP and realized that i was eating 34-35 pts daily yet i was sticking to a 1200-1350 cal count!

So I'm sticking to what worked for me for almost 1 1/2 and got my health in order.

Sorry for the long story :)
  • Ready4Thin
    Ready4Thin Posts: 9
    Options
    For me, I will be using WW and MFP simultaneously for 10 weeks. I only paid for a 10 week program through work. I am hoping that I will be firmly established enough with those 10 weeks that I can keep up the program on my own. I signed up here on MFP so that I might be able to find like-minded people and set up a support structure for after those 10 weeks. I have every intention on succeeding this time (I've been trying to lose weight for half my life). I can only afford to PAY for this short WW course, so I need to set up strong support.

I hope to see this group here on MFP get revived somewhat!

~ready~
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I joined WW because it's worked so well in the past (this is my 3rd time on it). I had tried to do MFP a few years ago but it didn't work out too well because there are no structured guidelines like there is with WW. It makes me more aware that I need to measure my portions and get in my fruits and veggies everyday.

Last week I decided to start cross tracking on MFP to get the data that I can't get on WW so that's why I'm here now.
  • aranchmom
    aranchmom Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I was on here for 2 yeas, never lost more than 5 lbs. I joined WW 4 eeks ago, and have lost 8 lbs and feel like I could do it for life. I eat a ton more veggies, too. LOVE ww. I just keep my acc here to track my weight- cause it has my entire history. :)
  • Carol_
    Carol_ Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I agree. Both have good things to offer. I use both.:smile:
  • corinnemccaffrey
    Options
    I signed up for WW about 6 weeks ago and have lost about 20lbs. It has really has changed the way I think about what I eat, and I am able to make better food decisions. Foods that are higher in points usually are higher in carbs and protein but alot of those foods also help keep me full. When I just tracked calories I didn't really think about the nutrional value and would often eat foods based soley on how many calories they had, but those foods didn't necessary keep me full and satisfied. I try to have a breakfast or lunch that won't leave me starving, and those meals may me higher in points but because I am full I don't need to snack and I eat less. I try to eat snacks and dinners that are lower in points and these foods tend to be lower in carbs and protein and foods that my body can metabolize faster. I feel like WW gives me a helps me because it is built around the way your body processes food. I also like the flexibility, and having those extra weekly points. When i would just try to diet I would eat well for most of the week and then have a cheat day where I would just eat whatever. With the weekly points I am allowed to indulge, but I don't go overboard. I use think of dieting as all or nothing, if I went to McDonald's for lunch I would say that's it I blew it today and would just eat bad the rest of the day. Now if I want an occasional greasy burger or treat I say Ok you can have that, but that means for dinner you have to eat a salad with grilled chicken or something, or ok you can have that piece of cake but that dips into your weekly allowance. It has taught me how to think before making an unheatly decision, is it really worth having a smaller dinner or exercising more? And some days I decide that that yes it is. And that is what I like, and I can see myself really making a huge lifestyle chane with WW. I joined MFP because I purchased a FITBIT. I really haven't done much exercising besides walking a few times a week and wanted to get start moving more. I decided it would be helpful to be able to synch my exercise and moments from MFP to the FITBIT to really get the most out of the FITBIT,. I also am hoping to start doing more cardio and toning up and want to be able to accurately know how many calories I should be eating in place of wwhat I exercised and like the whole calorie in/calorie out aspect of MFP and Fitbit. It's great that I also have the points plus set up on my food tracker, and MFP tracker is better then WW. I may eventually cancell WW once I feel completely comfertable that with knowing the points/nutrional values of food, and just track them here, but I intend on usuing the WW system long term whether I actually track through them or on my own.
  • Momof3hree
    Momof3hree Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have recently started back with WW. MFP has not really helped me out and on WW you are pretty mindful of portion sizes and all. I lost 43 lbs on WW and have started back counting my pts and determined to not give up this time.