This Is War!

Options
linda_p
linda_p Posts: 25 Member
After months of struggling to get back on track after the holidays, about 2 weeks ago, I finally found renewed strength to commit to healthy eating & exercise again. It's been fairly smooth sailing and easy to turn down the usual temptations over the last 2 weeks; however, yesterday the old taunts returned. "You can have just 1 candy bar." "What's the point, you know you can't keep this up anyway." I kept seeing myself lapse back into a depressed state, constantly seeking my next sweet fix. I hate this constant battle that I fight in my head. To me, it's not just a physical battle but mostly a spiritual one that wants to keep me down and out. Yesterday's battle was won. I pray for the strength to keep fighting.

Replies

• AlliBarlik
    AlliBarlik Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Linda, you can do this! Pray!! I have the same issues. It's MY head that I need to re-adjust sometimes. I have to remember that I am His child and He wants the best for me. Keep fighting, keep your eye on your goal!
    Don't worry if you have a little set-back, we all do, but remember that you can always make a better choice at the next meal or snack! :flowerforyou:
  • byrdiebee
    byrdiebee Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm fighting the same war. And while it's nice to know I'm not alone, I am sorry you are in the trenches , too.

Keep fighting! I will if you will!
  • Hanfordrose
    Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    To me, it's not just a physical battle but mostly a spiritual one that wants to keep me down and out.

There you go, Sis. You just hit upon the answer!

I know that most folks on MFP don't want to acknowledge the REAL PROBLEM with losing weight. This IS A SPIRITUAL BATTLE. We have an enemy, and he has been tempting humans, since he first showed up in the Garden of Eden. His name is Satan.

That old demon is using the same old agenda and temptations that he used then. The great liar is still waving food under our noses and trying to get us to do things that we shouldn't do...eat things that we should eat...feel like failures, because that makes him happy.

Think about it. That miserable, old cuss wants COMPANY. He's not happy, so why should he want us to be happy, to be successful, to like ourselves...our bodies. He wants us to fail, to be unhappy, resigned to never be WHAT GOD WANTS US TO BE. If we agree with him, then we deny the hope and the plan for progress and success that God is offering to us.

That's right. God has a plan for each of us, and it does NOT included failure, sadness and resignation to Satan's way of thinking.

Tell that old so 'n so to take a hike..."IN THE NAME OF JESUS". That will clear out some cobwebs from your brain. Then, start thanking God for 'His plan' for you and your future that includes a healthy, slimmer body and a better life.

When Satan begins to tempt you with 'forbidden fruit' (including those candy bars), remind him that you are using God's food plan for your life, and you don't need his unsolicited advice.

Don't worry. We all knows that he is going to lose in the end. He just wants to take a few more of us with him. As for me and my house...We will serve the Lord.

I thank God every day for giving me a good food plan, friends and family to encourage me in my efforts to lose weight and strength that I don't have some days to just do what I must do, even when it isn't easy. Only God can get me through those times. Only my Lord and Savior deserves my praise. I won't give Satan the time of day, especially when he is trying to mess with my food. That's none of his business. :wink:
  • jmnicholas
    jmnicholas Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with this - taking up the cry to be transformed by the renewing of the mind! Only our Lord and Saviour is in that business, so I'm totally on board to seek the Holy Spirit's help in that battle...

Praying for us collectively to win these skirmishes.:heart:

J
  • Lovelyloralee
    Lovelyloralee Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Amazing advice Sisters in Christ! I was struggling earlier today and prayed for guidance and strength to not let my urges defeat me. He will see us through the challenges in our journey :D
  • linda_p
    Options
    Thank you all for your words of encouragement! I know I am going through a trial and I want to emerge victorious this time instead of living in defeat yet again. "Greater is He who lives in me than he who lives in the world."
  • maryhannold
    maryhannold Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Amen to all f the posts! Right now I seem to have overcome my cravings, at least for a while! ???? I have hit on an eating plan that seems to have evened out my cravings...praying that continues to be the case!
  • valmaebel
    valmaebel Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Someone had recommended a book "Made to crave". I recommend it, it addresses these issues!
  • linda_p
    Options
    Someone had recommended a book "Made to crave". I recommend it, it addresses these issues!

Yep, read it. I think I've read them all. The first one was "Weigh Down Workshop" which first introduced me to the possibility of a relationship with God, that He is the One who fills our needs and satisfies our cravings. I grabbed a hold of that whole-heartedly and for 6 months was faithful to my hunger & fullness cues, listening to & obeying that still small voice. In the process, I did reach my target weight effortlessly. It was a miracle for me, to no longer suffer with the constant obsession to eat or to be controlled by food. I felt I had finally found the right thing to be obsessed about - my relationship with God. Needless to say, at some point I lapsed in being faithful & dismissed that small voice too many times. Now I'm right back where I was, plus another 20 lbs. Like the house that was swept clean, only to have the demons return 7 times stronger. I know what I need to do, it's just harder now. I think each new book is going to have the answer for me but they all say the same thing. God has shown me what works and how to achieve it. I just need to stop looking/waiting for another miracle cure and start fighting the battle.
  • valmaebel
    valmaebel Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options

Yep, read it. I think I've read them all. The first one was "Weigh Down Workshop" which first introduced me to the possibility of a relationship with God, that He is the One who fills our needs and satisfies our cravings. I grabbed a hold of that whole-heartedly and for 6 months was faithful to my hunger & fullness cues, listening to & obeying that still small voice. In the process, I did reach my target weight effortlessly. It was a miracle for me, to no longer suffer with the constant obsession to eat or to be controlled by food. I felt I had finally found the right thing to be obsessed about - my relationship with God. Needless to say, at some point I lapsed in being faithful & dismissed that small voice too many times. Now I'm right back where I was, plus another 20 lbs. Like the house that was swept clean, only to have the demons return 7 times stronger. I know what I need to do, it's just harder now. I think each new book is going to have the answer for me but they all say the same thing. God has shown me what works and how to achieve it. I just need to stop looking/waiting for another miracle cure and start fighting the battle.

Pretty much nailed it on the head. I've seen a lot of people who log on their diaries only various supplements, nutrition bars, etc and no real food. Not only is it not beneficial to their health, it's almost impossible to maintain. A lifestyle change is much slower, but the rewards are great. It has taken me over three years to learn to eat healthier meals, that leave me full longer, and I'm still not there yet. But there is something satisfying about knowing the changes I make are ones I can keep until I go to meet Jesus. Keep it up, you can do it, with God's help!
  • 324toOnederland
    324toOnederland Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You can do it I am hearing the same things you just got to keep fighting and praying. You can do it.