Inside Cycle Training?

Options
Slivnfree
Slivnfree Posts: 152 Member
Hello I was wondering if anyone here does inside cycle training? I have my Mountain Bike on the way (It is nothing fancy but in time I will go down to the bike shop and get a cross county mountain bike that is fitted for me) I want to start inside cycle training and need a few tips. I need to know what cycle training would be a good start out. I can't go and buy a $1000,00 Trainer right now so just a good cheaper one that gets the job done. Also is there any DVD out there for a beginner? I have seen a few on YouTube but they are crazy fast! And last how does the cycle trainers workout feel to a outside ride workout? I will be riding through the summer, but winter I will be mainly inside training. Will your body notice the difference? Thanks

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I'm fortunate that my gym has a couple of excellent Spinning bikes (with TV, music, training programs...) so I use them for my indoor training.
    They are very smooth, stable, adjustable and have shimano compatible cleats so they are pretty close to the "real thing".

I did a lot of endurance building plus high intensity sessions over the winter and spring so when the cycling season started my fitness was months ahead of my normal schedule.
    As I have Reynaud's Syndrome my hands don't tolerate cold at all well so I don't do many outside miles in winter.
  • Slivnfree
    Slivnfree Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I'm fortunate that my gym has a couple of excellent Spinning bikes (with TV, music, training programs...) so I use them for my indoor training.
    They are very smooth, stable, adjustable and have shimano compatible cleats so they are pretty close to the "real thing".

I did a lot of endurance building plus high intensity sessions over the winter and spring so when the cycling season started my fitness was months ahead of my normal schedule.
    As I have Reynaud's Syndrome my hands don't tolerate cold at all well so I don't do many outside miles in winter.

Thanks. Yes the Gym here has some however they don't allow children under 12 Years of age so I can't workout at the gym. But I think that once I get a good Used cycle trainer it will be just the same as the ones at the gym. Thanks for your reply.
  • Murphdog06
    Murphdog06 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Living in North Dakota, I've done quite a bit of indoor train as you can imagine.

I have some DVD's but find that watching a program on TV that interests me is just as beneficial as a DVD. (At least it makes the time seem to go by quickly) That is one of the problems of indoor training.. it can be boring, Another problem is over-heating, so you'll want a fan pointed your direction and have a water bottle handy (as well as a towel).

Actually, indoor training is a little tougher than outdoor for the above reasons, and that you are constantly pedaling. (No downhill coasting opportunities). Still, it is a great way to workout when weather, daylight, and schedules prohibit outdoor riding. Good Luck and make it fun!
  • pghtrader
    pghtrader Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    When I am on my trainer I set my laptop so that I can watch youtube. If I really want to be motivated to ride a long ride, I find a "Tour of" cycling video (like tour of california, tour of turkey). You can find videos that are anywhere from 45 minutes to a couple hours long.

Here is a link to a stage from the Tour of Turkey:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70ULAOkl4Mk

Sometimes I put the sound on, other times I just put on my own music and race along with the professionals :)