gripless weightlifting

Options
Yesterday, while taking down a shade tent, my hand got caught in the mechanism and got kinda mangled. I can hardly type and my grip is going to be useless. I don't want to completely stop lifting though. Any ideas?

Replies

• lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    ow! I would go with getting it better personally.

are you using an overhand grip (thumbless grip) on squats? that doesn't require any 'grip'... however I wouldn't want to strain it or damage it further!
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    You can still low back squat and just use your hands for bracing the bar rather than gripping it. Place the bar on your upper back, squeeze your shoulder blades back, position the bar on the little muscle "shelf" that develops, and use both hands to brace it in place. Then squat, squat away!

Sorry about your hand, hope you get better soon! I cut my thumb yesterday on an apple slicer. Owie. Gonna lift today, though.
  • KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    KirstenTheFamilyCoach Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies - I was thinking about going for a walk/jog but that just makes it throb. :sad:

34npn9c.jpg
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Ouch! Rest up and ice as necessary.
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Yep, I would throw all my efforts in to helping that heal - rest, ice, elevation - maybe some arnica gel to help with the bruising. And your anti-inflammatory of choice. I know it stinks to have to take a break - but it's your hand, and you need it - so help it get better!