anxiety before ultrasound

Options
jenluvsushi
jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
Hi ladies!! So after suffering a missed miscarriage this last fall, I am lucky to say that I am now 12.5 weeks into this pregnancy (due 1/2/14). I am having the big 12 week ultrasound tomorrow as well as genetic counseling. I am soooooo nervous I can't stand it. I am praying that I get to see a little heartbeat this time. I got to see the heartbeat at 7.5 weeks due to a small uterine bleed but not since. I never did get to see a heartbeat with the last pregnancy so this one is already showing better signs of viability. It was a great heartbeat (163) and my doctor said the chances are super slim for m/c at this point but I feel like I am going crazy. ....anyone else going through this? I wish I could just get it over with NOW!

Replies

• freckledLeanne
    freckledLeanne Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I'm so sorry to hear about your anxiety (and the reasons behind it). I think anxiety pre-ultrasound is normal for everyone. This is my first baby, and I haven't miscarried before, but still... one of my ultrasound techs was checking out things for what seemed like forever and didn't say a word to me. I was SURE something was wrong. Just remember that you staying (relatively) calm is good for baby (way easier said than done, I know). Sending positive thoughts your way for tomorrow!
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I had a lot of anxiety my first trimester due to a chemical pregnancy previously (even with a 3 year gap!). The first trimester is stressful anyway, and I think a lot of women have a lot of anxiety then. I have no advice, just commiseration, but I can say I'm currently 25+3 so it's going well :)
  • Erinthebodo
    Erinthebodo Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I had a couple of MC between my 2 year old and this pregnancy (28 weeks) and each time I would go for an US I would feel exactly this way. I would almost feel sick waiting. Try not to stress though... if you made it to 12 weeks you are doing great and seeing the heartbeat once is a great sign and a HUGE decrease in chance of MC. Just relax and grow that baby!
  • igottaworkout
    igottaworkout Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I hope your baby is ok and that you will have a joyful time at the ultrasound. Take care!
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel, I had a missed miscarriage at the beginning of the year and was super nervous before my scan yesterday. Best of luck, you'll feel like a million bucks when you see that heartbeat. Fingers crossed for you.
  • HeyImRin
    HeyImRin Posts: 13
    Options
    I recently had a miscarriage, and am pregnant again too! I'm 7 weeks now. I know what you're going through, it's hard.

Good luck!!
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Sadly, I think the anxiety is normal....especially after a miscarriage. During this pregnancy (I'm currently ~17 weeks) I didn't even look at some of my early ultrasounds. It was easier not to. But by the time I hit 8 weeks I was thrilled to see them. I'm sure you'll get there too. And yes, with every week and every solid heartbeat your chances of miscarriage drop dramatically. We're never really out of the woods, but things get considerably better.

One thing I can say has saved my sanity was buying an at-home Doppler. I paid $30 on Amazon and having the opportunity to listen to the heartbeat daily has been awesome. I was able to hear it from about 9 weeks on and have been calm, cool, and collected ever since. Some friends can't even believe I'm pregnant since I'm so relaxed. Some people despise the things, but for me it's been the best $30 I ever spent. Just something to consider....
  • cindymcd
    cindymcd Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Fingers crossed! I'm just getting over a miscarriage myself and already nervous about next time around and I'm not even trying again yet! It's one of those things that will just haunt you I think, unfortunately. You can't ever unfeel the feelings and anxieties you felt after a loss. But that doesn't mean history will repeat itself!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I haven't had the u/s and I'm so scared I don't want to go to the doctors.
  • Jessibear86
    Jessibear86 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    The anxiety is normal, especially when such circumstances are behind it! I would say do your best to RELAX! It may be too early for a doppler to pick up your baby's hb just yet, but I say definitely invest in one for the future. I was able to hear my baby at 16 weeks and it really reassured me. I literally listened to his heartbeat every single day first thing in the morning until I felt him moving.
  • scienceteacherAK
    scienceteacherAK Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have had two miscarriages and I get so anxious that I cry when I get to the doctor's office! Anxiety is normal, especially if you have suffered losses. I was so noticeably shaking/teary at my 8 week visit that my midwife went straight to the ultrasound so I would relax before the rest of the appointment. Still have 3 weeks to go before my next scan, but I know I will probably have the same reaction.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Well we went and had the scan yesterday and everything was fantastic. The heartbeat was 167 and the baby was so active that they actually had a hard time doing the measurements! All of that worry for nothing....thank God he/she was fine. And no wonder I am having a hard time getting a heartbeat with my Doppler...this kid was doing gymnastics in there, lol! We also did that new genetic blood test that basically tells you everything an amnio would so we will know the sex and if there are any issues (of the big four anyway) in the next 10 business days......I am so happy! Thanks for all the reassuring comments ladies....I soooo needed it!
  • igottaworkout
    igottaworkout Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad everything was fine! I had an ultrasound yesterday too and my baby turned head down, so I'm really happy too. I wish you all the best for the rest of your pregnancy :)
    Well we went and had the scan yesterday and everything was fantastic. The heartbeat was 167 and the baby was so active that they actually had a hard time doing the measurements! All of that worry for nothing....thank God he/she was fine. And no wonder I am having a hard time getting a heartbeat with my Doppler...this kid was doing gymnastics in there, lol! We also did that new genetic blood test that basically tells you everything an amnio would so we will know the sex and if there are any issues (of the big four anyway) in the next 10 business days......I am so happy! Thanks for all the reassuring comments ladies....I soooo needed it!
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    So glad it went well - yay baby!