Man of Steel (spoilers, don't say you weren't warned)

Options
d0gma
d0gma Posts: 3,966 Member
I'm not really a fan of Superman, but I got free tickets to go see it and really wanted to like the movie. It was definitely entertaining, but it didn't make me any more or less of a Superman fan. I did have gripes, though.

After the ad campaign that had Bill Nye vs Kevin Smith vs Mythbusters vs Miayim Bialik, I was hoping the movie would answer the question of how Superman shaves. It did not. He walks through fire without a single hair getting singed, how does he shave?

The conversation Jonathan had with Clark right before he tells Clark that he's an alien has no context if Clark doesn't know he's an alien yet.

They show a flashback scene of Clark as a little boy with a towel or something tied around his neck like a cape. In a world without Superman comics, who was he pretending to be?

Considering all the things Clark did as a kid (or so we're told), wouldn't all of Smallville know who "Superman" is?

And maybe I'm just old, but seeing Zod and Superman destroy half the skyrises in Metropolis really bothered me. How many millions died because Superman couldn't lead Zod away to a cornfield or something?

Anyone else see stuff that bothered them?

Replies

• doggiesnot
    doggiesnot Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    **SPOILERS**
    Yes! I could see the news reports already... 12,000 dead, and 110,000 injured. Evacuations are in progress.

If a building is falling toward you, you don't run from it length-wise, you cut off to the side, dummies!

If you're falling and Superman swoops in and catches you at full speed, won't that hurt just as much as hitting the ground?

How can his Dad die from a simple stab wound to the gut? What a wuss!
  • Mr_Cape219
    Mr_Cape219 Posts: 1,345 Member
    Options
    Sorta related...but sorta not. If you ever played the Ghostbusters game, I liked how when the Ghostbusters became state funded, the damage you did to the building went as insured collateral. It was cool to see how the story would accommodate an area destroying hero (or in this case, a team). More super-hero movies should address that fact.
  • redhead1910
    redhead1910 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Who knew the way to kill Kryptonians was to snap their necks?
  • rmkramer003
    rmkramer003 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I was annoyed when they kept smashing into buildings because don't you think after trying that for five minutes and it not working you would try something else? Kryptonians are supposed to be pretty smart.

I was also really annoyed by the "Shaky Camera" effect. There was really no need for it most of the time and it gave me a headache.

Also, he pretty much told everyone who he was, where he was from. How is he supposed to hide it with some glasses and the same name.
  • spud_chick
    spud_chick Posts: 2,639 Member
    Options
    Sorry... I thought it was pretty great. I didn't submit myself to 3D because it always gives me a headache, but I saw it on a very high quality screen (not sure of the technology but it's a fancy local cinema with comfy seats and it always looks great, so that's where we go for movies like this). My eyes are terrible but I had no issues with any of the visuals; I was surprised I could follow it all as fast as things were going. Didn't think Amy Adams was a great choice for Lois, but I like her as an actress and she and everyone else did a very good job with Michael Shannon kicking major *kitten*. I didn't see or catch some of the things you guys are saying, but maybe I'm glad I missed them.

I had no attachments to the graphic series, and came in with just the pop culture stuff I saw on TV or in the first two Christopher Reeve movies when I was a kid. I did have a book about the history of the Superman comic someone gave me but only read about it a little. With no attachments, I can say that I liked the way Kyrpton was imagined and explained, and enjoyed the progress and development of Clark's character. There were no sore thumb actors or moments for me. Most importantly, my persnicketyarsed husband couldn't think of anything to complain about, so that says something (although I think he'd just as soon Henry Cavill wasn't so shockingly handsome, but that's neither here nor there).

We just went today, so I'm still kind of in the afterglow of being immersed in the awesomeness and Goldenberg's Peanut Chews. But I liked it a lot.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    After the ad campaign that had Bill Nye vs Kevin Smith vs Mythbusters vs Miayim Bialik, I was hoping the movie would answer the question of how Superman shaves. It did not. He walks through fire without a single hair getting singed, how does he shave?

tumblr_mo8pudpkWE1rukwy9o2_400.gif
    tumblr_mnvu0fEobO1qfmd2ro1_500.jpg
    tumblr_inline_mod3dxhM9e1qz4rgp.jpg
  • spud_chick
    Options

tumblr_mo8pudpkWE1rukwy9o2_400.gif
    tumblr_mnvu0fEobO1qfmd2ro1_500.jpg
    tumblr_inline_mod3dxhM9e1qz4rgp.jpg

Truly! If the man can cauterize internal bleeding, it doesn't seem like hair removal is going to be a serious challenge.

I may have to go see it again. If I get into work early I can bug out for a late matinee...
  • sedwards9999
    sedwards9999 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    The ending bothered me. Wouldn't Zod have "super" neck muscles that would resist Kal-El's "super" arm muscles?

I thought the same thing about the cape scene.

I really like the movie though.
  • CollegiateGrief
    CollegiateGrief Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about the comics and all that cannon, but it makes sense to me that one Kryptonian would be able to snap the neck of another. No one else could. But if they have equal strength to harm each other, shouldn't it work just like one human snapping another's neck?

Also, in that part when he kills Zod, any other whovians think of the scene when the Master dies in the Doctor's arms?
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about the comics and all that cannon, but it makes sense to me that one Kryptonian would be able to snap the neck of another. No one else could. But if they have equal strength to harm each other, shouldn't it work just like one human snapping another's neck?

Also, in that part when he kills Zod, any other whovians think of the scene when the Master dies in the Doctor's arms?
    ^^^This^^^

Also has anyone else noticed the complete and total absence of superman's other powers. He is supposed to be able to kills people and make them forget stuff. It might seem weird at first but think of how many lives he could save without killing anyone if he would just kiss some of his super villains.

I know I am not the only one who is wondering why he doesn't use that giant cellophane "S" more often.
  • d0gma
    Options

^^^This^^^

Also has anyone else noticed the complete and total absence of superman's other powers. He is supposed to be able to kills people and make them forget stuff. It might seem weird at first but think of how many lives he could save without killing anyone if he would just kiss some of his super villains.

I know I am not the only one who is wondering why he doesn't use that giant cellophane "S" more often.

I think they were trying to make this movie more grounded, so as to better establish the framework for the (presumed) Justice League movie. If I'm not mistaken, the cellophane S wasn't in the comics, and the amnesia kiss is no longer one of his powers in the comics.
  • sedwards9999
    sedwards9999 Posts: 160 Member
    Options

If that was the case why wouldn't they both be bloodied with broken bones, jaws and missing teeth from the rest of the fight?
  • d0gma
    Options

If that was the case why wouldn't they both be bloodied with broken bones, jaws and missing teeth from the rest of the fight?

Good point!
  • CollegiateGrief
    CollegiateGrief Posts: 552 Member
    Options

Good point!

Because people rarely are in action movies? *shrug* Maybe they have super healing.

I need to stop before I embarass myself, all I know of Superman seriously comes from Lois and Clark, Smallville, and this movie...

ETA: ^ And succeeded in aforementioned embarassment.
  • spud_chick
    Options

Oh yes! The terrible sadness of having to kill the only other remaining member of his ancestral race, the loneliness...

As for the strength part (and this is purely what I took from the movie), although Zod was in the process of adapting to the Earth's conditions (thanks to Clark helpfully mentioning the focus trick), Clark's having grown up and explored his strengths in those conditions still gave him an edge, I believe; discounting of course any advantages of the armor, which iirc was something of a null point by that scene.
  • Motivaator
    Options
    I was annoyed when they kept smashing into buildings because don't you think after trying that for five minutes and it not working you would try something else? Kryptonians are supposed to be pretty smart.

I was also really annoyed by the "Shaky Camera" effect. There was really no need for it most of the time and it gave me a headache.

Also, he pretty much told everyone who he was, where he was from. How is he supposed to hide it with some glasses and the same name.

I had the same thoughts. Doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results - it should be called insanity, should'nt it?

And i have never understood the coolness of the "Shaky Camera Effect" :D

But despite of all that, i really enjoyed the movie :) ("He is kinda hot" :D )