Paleo or Zone Diet.... What do you do?

Options
jbwalker77
jbwalker77 Posts: 7 Member
I just started crossfit two weeks ago (1 year committment) and I love it!!!! I would like to live a healthier lifestyle, fuel my workouts, as well as lose some weight. I have been going to crossfit 4 days a week. I am a runner, but I recenly lost interest in long distances since starting crossfit. Right now, I don't follow a specific diet. I just track my calories on MFP. My question is which diet is preferred Paleo or Zone?

I would love to add crossfit friends!!

Replies

• nashai01
    nashai01 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Hi, My box prefers Paleo. I tried Paleo for a few weeks and I didn't stick with it. The zone is alot easier to follow in my opinion. However I've seen some amazing results with Paleo and crossfit.
  • Dmkolls
    Dmkolls Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Mine prefers both, but I think with a stronger lean towards paleo. I personally do paleo. I read about the Zone, and honestly, I get confused on the whole ratio thing. It's easier for me to remember 4-5 oz of quality meat, TONS of veggies, and a half avocado....
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    I do the paleo thing (for over a year now). I tried to combine Zone & Paleo for a nutrition challenge, but I got very frustrated with zone. I think zone works well for people who, for whatever reason, can't or don't want to concentrate as much on the quality of the food. For example, our box owner lives 40 minutes from the box and has 2 kids, so she often eats out and uses zone principals, but applies paleo when cooking at home.
  • jlcuster
    jlcuster Posts: 22
    Options
    I do Zone and have had great results! Having said that, it is important to not eats fried donuts and cotton candy as your carbs. Therefore, make sure you're eating carbs with a low GI (glycemic index). When you do this, you'll get better results and feel better.

Here's a good video on this topic. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfpz4w39IOc

Hope this helps.
  • bushokie
    bushokie Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I just started zone and we will see...I have a lot of planning to do so I have food measured and cooked and ready to go...
  • Mrs_Duh
    Mrs_Duh Posts: 263
    Options
    I've been Paleo for 10 months, and I love it!
  • alissadough84
    alissadough84 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I eat zone... my box is pretty evenly split between Zone and Paleo and encourage people to do whatever they are comfortable with. I follow the article from CrossFit Journal and avoid all the junk they say you can have (like bread, icecream, donuts, etc). I am moving more towards just going Paleo- but I changed my eating habits a lot since starting CrossFit, so it was an easier transition to the zone. I am getting pretty great results with the zone though- since January I have lost 18.5 inches and almost 30 pounds!
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I am largely Paleo, though I will put beans in my chili when I make it just to save money. I haven't noticed any adverse effects from it.

I also do a cheat meal once a week and a cheat day every other week. I've read up on it quite a bit and am convinced it's actually good for your metabolism much in the way that muscle confusion is good for muscle growth.