Easy healthy dinners

Options
Need some ideas for healthy , easy dinners please. Only allowed 1200 cals per day so need them to be low cal. So far iv been having scrambled egg on 2 toast, crackers and philli light , tin of soup, but need more ideas please . Thank you x

Replies

• shelleycolton
    shelleycolton Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    How about Spanish Omlette with mix of veggies youve got in the house and a bit of bacon if you've got spare cals. Chicken Breast and veggies (not pots).
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Try http://www.bbcgoodfood.com

Some fab recipes to try!

As for 1200 cals per day...not my thing, but search the forums, plenty of reasons why 1200 isn't really a good idea long term
  • michelle198477
    michelle198477 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you. the my fitness pal told me 1200, why isnt it a good idea??. have you got a link to where i can look about it please x
  • kendrafallon
    Options
    I'm guessing you put your weight loss at 2lbs a week - 1200 is the amount it defaults to for most people who choose to lose 2lbs a week.

As for forum links, literally use the search facility for the forums and the list of topics on the subject is endless. It is a popular topic of debate on here
  • Mrsshellers
    Mrsshellers Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me I am on 1230 per day but I fast twice a week as well, I add lots of my own recipes so if there is anything you would like more details on let me know.

I would also say look at BBC good food as it is definitely where i get most of my ideas from.

MFP has also put my daily total at 1230 (I know you're on 1200) I think it depends on how much you want to lose. My weekly weight loss is set for 1lb a week which is what is recommended, I think as you lose the daily amounts go up in value until you reach your target then its up to you to set your goal as maintaining.
  • sullycc
    sullycc Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of cooking, feel free to add me so you can see my diary. I must admit to being a follower of Jamie Oliver. I love his 15 minute meal book and find the meals healthy and nutricious.

I also use BBC good food guide so.

I am trying to stick to 1500 calories, I was too hungry, tired and moody on 1200!
  • michelle198477
    michelle198477 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanx all, il try to add you both now. im pretty new to this(you will be my first friends ha ha) so any pointers/advice would be gratefully received. x
  • Mrsshellers
    Options
    My only advice would be do what suits you, if you're not feeling right then change something!
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 4,028 Member
    Options
    I have quite long spells at 1200 calories (I'm only 5' tall)...

My top suggestions would be:

One:
    Make big saucepans full of homemade veggie soup...(this is the easiest thing in the world to make, all you need is water, stock cubes, veggies and salt/pepper)...if you're on a tight budget buy seasonal veggies, hit markets at close of business, or even use frozen veggies (fine if you're blending the soup). Feel free to throw in some beans or other pulses for added protein. Guaranteed delicious. Heat, serve in a bowl over stale bread, add a sprinkle of parmesan and it's a meal fit for a king...

Two:
    Get some cheap dry pulses (chick peas, red kidney beans, borlotti, lentils, flagelot, cannellini, haricot, whatever takes your fancy) and soak overnight, then boil up until soft, then spice up with things like chilli, curry paste, cumin, salt, pepper, paprika, tinnned tomatoes etc and make things like spicy beanburgers, rissoles, falafels, homemade baked beans, beany curries, bean chilli, baked dishes etc. Totally nutritious, packed with protein, cheap as chips and low in calories and fat.

Three:
    Egg dishes such as poached eggs with grilled chorizo or black pudding (cheap and tasty!); poached eggs with asparagus (seasonal at the moment) and rocket; frittata make with eggs and potato,and whatever's to hand, such as onions, peas, chorizo or salami, etc.

Four:
    Potato dishes such as homemade gnocchi served with a simple homemade tomato sauce; potato and bean curry; corn beef hash; baked potato with homemade baked beans

Five:
    Lots of seasonal salads and veggies to fill you up - plain old boring salads can be jazzed up with a handful of sultanas and two or three walnut halves; add a sprinkle of parmesan to add zing with hardly any extra calories; add balsamic or wine vinegar and a drizzle of olive oil; include things to enhance crunch and flavour, such as a handful of seeds or stale bread ovenbaked into croutons with a bit of oilve oil and a few sprigs of rosemary. Buy seasonal veggies if you're on a tight budget and put in a plastic bag with a teaspoon of olive oil, a pinch of salt and some fresh or dried herbs, give it a good shake so that all the veggies are coated, and oven bake on a baking sheet until roasted and caramelised. Scrummy! You can do that with onions, tomatoes, courgettes, carrots, beetroots, parsnips, celeriac...the sky's your limit!

If you work, and any of your colleagues are home veggie growers now's the time to offer to take their excess produce off their hands! If they're anything like us they have a glut of rhubarb, spinach, rocket, lettuce, tomatoes, beetroot, courgettes and onions at the moment...they might give you some for nothing if you ask them nicely!

If you're on a tight budget don't forget to put the kids in the pushchair and go foraging...not much in the hedgerows at the moment, but in a few months you'll be able to get tons of blackberries, hazlenuts, crab apples, plums and cherries if you look hard enough...there's nothing more satisfying than making a meal out of foraged grub! At the moment if you're in a rural area your should be able to find wild garlic, horseradish, onions etc. to add flavour to all these dishes!

Good luck and have fun!!!
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

Some fab recipes to try!

As for 1200 cals per day...not my thing, but search the forums, plenty of reasons why 1200 isn't really a good idea long term

Agreed. MFP sets the majority of people at 1200 a day when it really isn't necessary. Slow, steady weight loss will stay off - and you will be less miserable in the process. A simple rule of thumb is to calculate your TDEE then minus between 10% to 20% to set your daily goal.

This one is really straightforward: http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

As for dinners, do you mean midday meal or evening meal (from your choices I'm thinking middle of the day).

Either way, keep it simple.

* Salad: With salads, I chop up 2-3 days worth and keep in the fridge. Lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, celery, grated carrots, grated beetroot, onions etc etc. Use a drizzle of balsamic vinegar instead of dressing to keep the calories down (or mix in with a smaller amount of olive oil, mustard, oregano, black pepper - shake to mix in an old jam jar).

* Serve with a tin of tuna or sardines tipped on top or grilled meat (seasoned with herbs and chili for a kick). I love my George Foreman grill as chicken breasts only take 8 mins and it's less messy than the oven or grill. Also try adding hard boiled eggs (a super diet food), raw fine green beans, mixed beans and pulses.

* Poach some salmon. Simply put some salmon fillets in a pan, pour boiling water from the kettle over, bring to the boil, clamp a lid tightly on and take off the heat. Leave for 20 mins and heat will cook them to perfection. I buy them when they are yellow-stickered for use-by in the supermarket and cook a few at the same time - they keep in the fridge a couple of days.

* Wraps: Stuff with tuna, ham, chicken, salad, houmous etc. Have a look at which ones have the lowest calories (usually the smallest ones). Discovery wholewheat ones are lovely and not too calorific. Also keep an eye on how much houmous you use. It's lovely and good for you but quite high calorie so be a bit careful.

* Make up batches of food at the weekends (or an evening you are free) to use during the week. Homemade soups, chili, curry etc are all really filling and healthy (have a look on the BBC website others have posted for low calorie versions). To keep calories down I usually serve them with a big salad or heaps of veg instead of bread or rice (which I save for the weekend when I'm doing lots of exercise). A dollop of Greek yogurt also makes them feel luxurious.

The trick to staying full is to eat foods with plenty of protein and fibre in them (which is why things such as wholemeal wraps stuffed with meat or eggs are great). Buy a cheap set of digital kitchen scales and weigh everything you eat and drink - it's amazing how easy it is to get it wrong.

And make sure your kitchen is stocked with easy-to-prepare food such as frozen veg (microwave or heat up on the stove in minutes - look in the freezer section for steam-in-the-bag microwave veg), Cheese Strings, cooked meats and salad (cucumber is my fave as you simply wash, chop and go. Throw in some dried oregano, tuna, mixed tinned beans and balsamic vinegar and you are good to go).
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Even though it was not my query there are some lovely suggestions, thanks all

if it helps anyone, Asda have Kraft light salad dressings on offer at 50p a bottle just now, and loads of salad items also at 50p

I have the Hairy Dieters cook book, I think some recipes are on line, never tried them but could be a source of ideas
  • Mrsshellers
    Options

Thanks for this all the others I had looked at were really confusing. Going on the -10% 20% theory would mean I could up my daily allowance from 1230 to 1360 which us a massive difference so I wont feel so bad about being a little bit over from now on!
  • kendrafallon
    Options

Thanks for this all the others I had looked at were really confusing. Going on the -10% 20% theory would mean I could up my daily allowance from 1230 to 1360 which us a massive difference so I wont feel so bad about being a little bit over from now on!
    Just bear in mind -10%, -20% 'theories' refer to TDEE calculations.

Don't reduce the calorie value MFP gives you depending on how much you say you want to lose a week. MFP takes TDEE and BMR into consideration so you should 'in theory' be eating back the calories you burn working out.

A topic on the forums to read if you want to go the TDEE route http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013
  • Mrsshellers
    Options
    Whatever the TDEE is the fact in less calories in and more moving about is going to make a difference anyway
  • angiewf
    angiewf Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Most fish is low, if you like it. You could try looking at the Rosemary Conley TV site, she does calorie counted recipes.
  • sussexbythesea
    sussexbythesea Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Loads of great ideas here I even made low cal meat balls, cottage pie etc when I was on 1200.Never eat bread have ryvita so did not use lots of calories at lunch and porridge and fruit for breakfast. I did it at lb a week loss for 5 months and it worked for me no problem, plus 30 minute walk 5 times a week-everyone is different. Am sure you can do it.
  • joblmayes
    joblmayes Posts: 42 Member
    Options

Some fab recipes to try!

These look great - thanks for the tip!
  • Stacebob85
    Stacebob85 Posts: 95
    Options
    I hate to look like a corporate shill, and I must say that I have no affiliation with the Hairy Bikers or any companies they work for, but hot damn do I want to recommend their Hairy Dieters cook book! I think some of the recipes are online on the BBC website somewhere, but I have to say, I got the book for Christmas and swear by it! I've tried about 8 recipes so far and they've all been yummy, and they have calorie details for each recipe.

Also, I'm a big pusher of stir fry. I use soy sauce to fry the meat and veg (adds flavour without the kcals etc found in oils), and fresh egg noodles aren't too calorific either. Even if you buy a packet sauce instead of making your own, the meal still comes up pretty healthy. I had a veggie stir fry in sweet chili sauce with noodles a couple weeks back and it came in at around 500kcal. Of course, I pigged out a bit and got spring rolls to go with which bumped it up tad! :P

If all else fails, and if it's at all possible, if you're finding low(ish) calorie dinners difficult, just do a bit more exerise so you can have a slightly more calorific dinner. I know that when I'm planning to eat out/have a fairly big meal, that's what I do. In fact, tomorrow I'm off to my mother-inl-law's, who's single portions could feed a family, so I'm planning to do at least a 5k run in the morning to earn some extra calories for the meal!
  • Mrsshellers
    Options
    @Stacebob85 I couldnt agree more about the Hairy Bikers cook book, I got mine from the book people and I think it only cost me a fiver - I 100% recommend their Mediterranean burger, it is delish and healthy too! I also love the lamb and spinach curry, the spanish fish stew, actually I am just listing everything thats in it now! Yes I agree buy it!