When to start lifting?

Options
rosy003
rosy003 Posts: 251 Member
I am 1 week pp and I'm just wondering when to start lifting weights again. I'm not talking heavy stuff- nothing more than 20 lb hand weights for me. I had a easy vaginal delivery and worked out throughout my pregnancy (this is my 3rd baby), including weights (only 10 lbs though).
I asked the dr in the hospital and she gave me the old school 'no exercise for 6 weeks' answer. She even told me not to push the stroller when walking! I'm unwilling to accept this answer, so I'm wondering if any of your dr.s gave you better advice. Thanks!

Replies

• Crys483
    Crys483 Posts: 18
    Options
    Even though you're feeling up to it, I would really wait at least 3-4 weeks before doing any strenuous activity. You're body is going through a lot of changes right now and it's important for you to be well rested. Take your time healing, it sounds like you're going to bounce back pretty fast anyway :) Congratulations on your new arrival!
  • stellcorb
    stellcorb Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised she said 6 weeks after a vaginal delievery! My doctor pretty much said I can do whatever I want after except sex, and though my labor wasn't bad, she was sunny side up so it wasn't really easy either.... I'm no doctor, but I would say it's up to how you feel. I know after my second I waited about 2 weeks to start walking and my only side affect was a little increase in bleeding and mild cramping. I don't lift myself (it's on my to do list though!) but I can't think that it would be an issue...
  • savemama
    savemama Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Part of the reason they advise nothing strenous- is that your pelvis and uterus and ab muscles don't begin to return to a normal location until at least 6 weeks. Straining earlier than that can cause permanent damage.

So light activity is great- but lifting etc... probably not yet.

The reason (again) is that the act of birth itself has changed your body and you're still trying to heal.

I worked out throughout my whole pregnancy and was shocked at how different the same workout felt just a few weeks PP. My hips felt like they were in the wrong place.

Also- I twisted my ankle at 8weeks pp (just doing simple walking) and ended up in PT for it and it STILL causes me grief 7 months later! Ick!