How often do you crossfit?

Options
momof2osaurus
momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
How many days a week? Do you do other exercise on your non-CF days?

Replies

• shaywallis
    shaywallis Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    5x a week. Other than that I chase kids
  • momof2osaurus
    Options

Is your box kid-friendly? I have two kids (4.5 and 2) and a local CF'ing friend said the box I'm thinking about doesn't mind if kids come (assuming they behave of course!).
  • alissadough84
    alissadough84 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    3 times a week- I'd love to do more but it's expensive. Hopefully after my first year is up I can switch to unlimited. One days that I don't go in I do some tabatas and run.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I try to go at least 3 times a week, unless I am racing on the weekend, then maybe just 2. Shift work is also a killer.
    I also swim, bike and run on other days. I try to run 3 times a week and swim and bike twice.
  • shaywallis
    shaywallis Posts: 165 Member
    Options

Is your box kid-friendly? I have two kids (4.5 and 2) and a local CF'ing friend said the box I'm thinking about doesn't mind if kids come (assuming they behave of course!).

yes, as long as they behave. I dont really like to take them as woding is my "me" time. but every once ib awhile I will drag them to the box. Mine are 3yrs and 10mo :-)
  • photogmama
    photogmama Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    still "new" to crossfit, month two, goal is at least 3x a week!
  • Kmh45126
    Kmh45126 Posts: 21
    Options
    I try to go 5 x's a week, just finished up my first month. Love it. I try to run at least once a week too.
  • BenW1980
    BenW1980 Posts: 9
    Options
    I've just started out on all things Crossfit...

Currently I'm hitting it quite hard at the moment... I'm doing Crossfit 6 days a week in the early evenings and swimming every early morning. Am also doing an hour and a half in the gym 4/5 days a week doing a mixture of mi coach training and free weights.. Chest, Legs etc etc etc.....
  • kevie1021
    kevie1021 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I go 3-4 days a week, then I try to run 25-30 minutes on my off days for extra cardio. Provided of course my legs aren't done from the WOD! Lol
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I've just started crossfit (I have a background in DIY deadlifting, squatting etc). My trainers have said that newbies should be doing hour sessions no more than 4 x a week as it can cause injury doing too much too soon. So I'm pretty much going every other day and walking at least 10,000 steps on my off days. I'm hoping they'll let me ramp it up once I'm more used to the movements and intensity.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Is your box kid-friendly?

Most CF Boxes are family oriented. Mine has a CF Kids program as well as a Kid Corral to keep them safe during WODs.
  • wswilliams67
    Options
    I go 5 days a week at 5am (M-F). Depending on how strong I feel I may go back 2-3 times a week for an evening MetCon class. Other than that I work on my WOD skills in my garage, double unders, BWE, slosh pipe, etc.

Weekends are for getting out with the family and doing fun things to keep active, or maybe just veg out and sleep. The latter depends on how many 'girls' we did that week. LOL
  • happyheathen927
    happyheathen927 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I started out doing CF 2-3x/week, yoga once a week and c25k on my off days. Due to knee issues, running is verboten and due to scheduling, I haven't been to yoga in months. This week, though, I'm starting a new schedule: CF'ing M/T/TH/F and hopefully alternating Saturdays with my husband. They don't mind if we bring our kids, but I HATE it. Like a pp, CF is time to focus on me. I've struggled with setting those boundaries since they were born and I really want to be firm about this. So, either we can alternate who goes/who keeps the kids on Saturdays, or he can go as long as he gets back in time for me to make my yoga class. :)

Our trainers really stress resting on off days; those are Wednesdays and Sundays for us and I don't do anything outside of my normal activity then.
  • Huggenkiss27
    Options
    When I first started I was going 5 days a week plus running a couple days and going to boot camp twice a week. Took me about 6 weeks and I burned out big time. I didn't want to do anything for days! At my new box I can really only afford 3 times a week and I have not been working out in addition. I've been focusing on making sure I'm really lifting heavy (for me) and my body seems to really like/need those rest days. Once it isn't taking me so long to recover I would like to run a day or two a week.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I try to go in 3x/wk - I also bring my kids with me when they are not in school... why not set a proper example? Plus my youngest always entertains us while we are in the throes of the workout by 'box dancing'.
    I really need to pick up the pace again with my other workouts. early spring I was jogging - but then as it got hot, I let it slack and yesterdays 1 mile TT was pathetic.
  • momof2osaurus
    Options
    It's so completely unexpected to me that boxes are kid-friendly! I'm so used to kids being considered a nuisance during workouts! I LOVE that kids/family are part of the culture. Who knew?

The box I joined has CrossFit Kids programs, but no kid corral. They're working on moving to a larger space I guess, so hopefully it'll be part of that.
  • alysa521
    alysa521 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I go 5 times per week, 3 on 1 off, 2 on 1 off. I also get at least 3 runs in per week of 3-5 miles each time. I double up on two of my crossfit days so I can take at least one full rest day per week. I started with 3 times per week for 8 months, then switched to 4 times a week for another 4 months and started going 5 times per week at the one year mark which I think helped me minimize injuries.
  • happyheathen927
    happyheathen927 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    It's so completely unexpected to me that boxes are kid-friendly! I'm so used to kids being considered a nuisance during workouts! I LOVE that kids/family are part of the culture. Who knew?

The box I joined has CrossFit Kids programs, but no kid corral. They're working on moving to a larger space I guess, so hopefully it'll be part of that.
    A big part of the reason I don't like to bring our kids is that the space is SO tiny and there's no safe place for my youngest (2 y/o) to play. I have to watch him constantly. If we ever move to a larger space with a Kid Corral, I'd be all over it. My middle child (6) is already jonesing to join in; the oldest (9) would rather read a book. :p
  • Dmkolls
    Dmkolls Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I'm going 3-4X/week. M-W-F with the occasional free Saturday Metcon class, if my schedule permits. Even once I become "fit enough" to go more often, I'm not sure I could.

My problem is I wake up for work at 4:30 AM so I get to work early. I leave work around 4 PM to rush home and take care of my dog and change, and so I take the 5:30 class. Once I get home at 6:45, it's a rush to shower, get dinner on the table, eat, spend time with family, and get into bed by 9 PM.

My SO "helps" with getting dinner started, but it has to be quick and foolproof, which me finding is yet to be seen. If I went more than 3x in a work week, he might get a little huffy because he's used to me cooking dinner each night. He said he would support me, but sometimes his kitchen "help" costs me more time. =/
  • wswilliams67
    Options
    My SO "helps" with getting dinner started, but it has to be quick and foolproof, which me finding is yet to be seen. If I went more than 3x in a work week, he might get a little huffy because he's used to me cooking dinner each night. He said he would support me, but sometimes his kitchen "help" costs me more time. =/

Meal planning may help here. Take an off day and pre-prepare some meals. Gather the ingredients, chop the veggies, etc and then prep time during the week is minimal. I usually have 1 or 2 'cook days'. Where I cook all my chicken and pre-slice my beef so I can just throw it on the Foreman. Saves so much time during the week.

Just a thought.