What are your triggers?

Options
ShannonTourne
ShannonTourne Posts: 77 Member
Does anyone else have any "triggers" ? Things that happen that you allow to get you off track? I have realized that when I get really stressed or tired, I want to turn to food for comfort. What do you do to counteract it?

Replies

• BrensKimberly
    BrensKimberly Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    a big "trigger" for me is boredom....i turn to food and eat absentmindedly when I'm bored. The only way I can counter it is to keep moving, keep my hands busy with other things and drink lots and lots of water :)
  • ajbltn
    ajbltn Posts: 57
    Options
    I tend to want to graze in the afternoons... It used to be boredom but now as a stay at home mom, its clearly a habit... Sigh. Im trying to consciously make myself do other things. I tend to want to eat when i feel like im losing control of something too.
  • deprek
    deprek Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I think what I find to be hard or a trigger is when I actually bake and/or cook. I have a few events where I'm bringing desert and I'm more apt to eat it knowing I made it. Same thing with cooking. We had such hectic schedules the last few weeks of school with the kids and ate allot of pizza or other fast type foods and I've been cooking lots of good foods the past week or so...but then I tend to eat more because I made it if that makes any sense. So maybe just being in the kitchen is what my trigger is.
  • xX_PhoenixRising_Xx
    xX_PhoenixRising_Xx Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Stress makes me want chocolate, which is how I got to over 300lbs in the first place I'm sure! I'm aware of it so even if I do have chocolate now I weigh it and only have a little. And I try to avoid it when I know I only want it because I'm stressed.

And I realised when I went back to working for hours that sitting at my desk for hours made me want foods there to nibble on. Like sitting and working actually made me hungry when I knew I shouldn't have been. I caved a bit on the first day, then I decided to ignore it. I think the key is recognising the triggers and putting a plan in place to deal with it, even if it's ignoring the craving.