Weekly Challenges

Options
XtyAnn17
XtyAnn17 Posts: 632 Member
Would anyone be interested in weekly challengea to help us on this 30lb journey.

Ideas/suggestions welcome.

Replies

• ChristinaOrtiz23
    ChristinaOrtiz23 Posts: 1,546 Member
    Options
    YES, IM INTERESTED!! On MFP Theres this section that shows how much calories you burn a week. Maybe we all should put down what our goal of calories burned a week and evey sunday we post how we did??? I heard you have to burn 3500 to lose 1 solid pound! MFP said i should burn atleast 1200 calories a week!
  • MrsAllOk
    MrsAllOk Posts: 4
    Options
    Hey,

I'm excerising with Mel B. She's has great workouts for each part of the body. 50min and full workout done! It's not easy at first, but with time you want mooore ;)

I was told that 30min per workout at least 3times a week is enough to support diet and lose weight quicker than dieting alone.
  • XtyAnn17
    Options
    I was thinking something like this, ON TOP of our normal routine

Challenges

Week 1: 250 pushups in 1 week
    Week 2: Go for a hike
    Week 3: Complete 1 early morning workout
    Week 4: 1000 jumping jacks in a week
    Week 5: 10000 steps in 1 day
    Week 6: 500 squats in 1 week
    Week 7: Drink 8 glasses water everyday this week
    Week 8: Run 3 miles this week
    Week 9: beat yourself: improve your time/reps on something this week
    Week 10: do 250 burpees this week
    Week 11: Eat 5 servings of fruit/vegetable one day this week
    Week 12: grab a buddy for a workout this week
    Week 13: Try a new food & Try a new exercise this week

We can change these if people dont like them, im just throwing out suggestions!

We can also post cals burned and have a winner every week for bragging rights
  • PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    You could do a progressive challenge and add a new thing every week to introduce and promote better habits slowly?

Example:

Week 1: Drink at least 8 glasses of water each day
    Week 2: Complete so many push-ups this week AND drink at least 8 gasses of water each day
    Week 3: Go for a long walk this week, complete so many pushups this week, and drink at least 8 glasses of water
    Week 4: Complete one early morning workout, go for a long walk, complete so many pushups this week and drink at least 8 glasses of water
    and so on and so on..

Then by week 13, everyone would have 13 better habits? Just a suggestion. Of course you would have to make each week's a little bit of a smaller accomplishment or it would be impossible on the 13 week to do everything. lol Other challenge suggestions: Park further from the grocery store/any other store every visit, log your food each and every day, make a meal from scratch...
  • TinaBina90
    TinaBina90 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Double post whoops
  • TinaBina90
    Options
    I would really love to do weekly challenges. I think, however, we need to keep in mind of other's fitness levels. Not saying we cannot push ourselves, but something to keep in mind.

I really like the progression idea! We could also have one fitness and one diet challenge.

Some challenge ideas:
    - Elevators/escalators for a week
    - Eat out only once
    - No HFCS for a week
    - No artificial sweeteners for a week
    - Go meatless for 2 days
    - Try a new workout
    - Plank progression (day 1 10 seconds, day 2 15 seconds, and build up plank strength for a week)
    - any exercise progression
    - eat the rainbow everyday
    - Reinvent a recipe to make it more healthy then share!
    - Eat without tv, computer, or phone for a week.
    - Swap 30 min session of tv time for meditation for a week
    - Get a friend to join MFP!
  • XtyAnn17
    Options
    Love all these suggestions. Progression sounds good too. Love the plank challenge! Well wait to hear from others than throw it all together with our best ideas!

Note: for the progression if its all exercise, wed probably have to do 10 min per item or else it will be impossible come end of week 13 lol so maybe we can do progression on the non exercise challenge and regular for the exercise challenge . Thoughts?
  • TinaBina90
    Options
    For the progressions, I was mostly thinking building up amnt of pshups, crunches, squat time, jumping jacks etc.
  • Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of progression, but it's hard to do a lot of 'on top ofs' for me- as my job is 35 hours a week + an additional 48 hours of driving to and from work sites. So when I do work out, it is literally 60-90 minuets when I can, and thats normally only 3-5 days. Assuring that I am alloting myself 8 hours of sleep, mind you (sometimes i have to wake up at 2am lol).

Anyhow. I like the idea of adding things! I already drink 15 glasses of water.
    Why not like
    Week 1- Work out more then 3 times a week
    Week 2- Try to burn over 500 calories per work out
    Week 3- ect.
  • southpaw211
    southpaw211 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of progression, but it's hard to do a lot of 'on top ofs' for me- as my job is 35 hours a week + an additional 48 hours of driving to and from work sites. So when I do work out, it is literally 60-90 minuets when I can, and thats normally only 3-5 days. Assuring that I am alloting myself 8 hours of sleep, mind you (sometimes i have to wake up at 2am lol).

Anyhow. I like the idea of adding things! I already drink 15 glasses of water.
    Why not like
    Week 1- Work out more then 3 times a week
    Week 2- Try to burn over 500 calories per work out
    Week 3- ect.

Completely off topic - is that Anders from Dragon Age in your avatar? I'd swear it was, if it weren't for the aviators.

I'm up for a weekly challenge as well, but definitely something that's not going to take a lot more of my time or demolish muscles that keep me from doing my normal workouts (Chalean Extreme 3x week and running 3x week). I work full time and have two busy kids and a house to run. I feel like I need to accomplish a "keep up with the laundry" challenge. Wish it burned more calories...
  • TheShrinkingKween
    TheShrinkingKween Posts: 91 Member
    Options

Challenges

I like most all of these... with a few exceptions...
    Go for a hike - Not everyone has a place to hike
    10000 steps in a day requires the equipment to figure that, and not everyone has those monitors.
    Run 3 miles this week... just change to run/walk for those of us who can't run.
    Burpees - Idk about anyone else, but I can't do them because of my knee.

I also really like the progressions. I think if we work those in with some of the ones above, we'd have a good mix. I also like the idea of "Forming 13 New Positive Habits" with the add-on every week. Oh well... just my 2 cents!
  • XtyAnn17
    Options
    Well im gonna take everything everyone has said and mash it all together and make a final product for us and post week 1 Sunday night!
  • mluxo91
    mluxo91 Posts: 65 Member
    Options

Challenges

I like most of these! Every week, we could even post different ways one can accomplish each of the weekly challenges. For example - I just learned from a video how to do about 10 different kinds of squats. That would also help to keep us motivated.

For those who may have trouble with a certain challenge - someone mentioned that they might not have a place to "go for a hike." That might be part of what makes it challenging; you'd have a week to figure out where to take that hike or how to modify the challenge for your needs. =]

Also.. I am a bit of a newbie. What is a burpee?
  • PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options

Also.. I am a bit of a newbie. What is a burpee?

They are straight from hell...

here is a youtube video of them
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX9z7uUBJOY
  • epb0713
    epb0713 Posts: 5
    Options
    I think a weekly challenge would be great!
  • 911kate
    911kate Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Can you share the video which taught different kinds of squats? Thanks for the help.