Training

Options
So I started the Couch to 5K program on Monday. Wow, that was much more intense than I was expecting! I also ran during the hottest part of the day and wore workout pants not short, so it was definitely not the best planning I've ever done haha! I'm going to run day 2 this evening. Wish me luck! :)

Replies

• mafferrell
    Options
    Hi I finished my 3rd week day 2 of C25k today. I am not a runner and don't particularly like running but thought it would be fun to do color run and a challenge. I run on the treadmill at the gym so not dealing with the elements. Good luck and feel free to friend me. Mary Anne
  • taranicole8402
    Options
    I need to join a gym or buy a treadmill haha. I'm not a runner either, and this training in summer in Florida is ridiculous! Nice to meet you and hope to see you in September!
  • varuca1
    varuca1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping to start C25k tomorrow. I haven't had much luck working out in the afternoon lately because of the weather, but I'm hoping it will start cooperating. Otherwise I have to run on my treadmill which kills my knees.
  • taranicole8402
    Options
    Hi varuca1!

Firstly, I apologize for not seeing your post earlier. This is my first group on MFP and I thought it would alert me to a new post, but obviously not. I need to look at the settings to see if that's an option. Anyway, welcome!

I'm having the same problem. There's not a great time to train outside in Florida between the oppressively hot and humid air and the sudden summer rainstorms. I have knee issues as well and had been looking into getting a treadmill but now am having second thoughts after your post. :-/ I really really want to participate in the Color Run but I've only been able to do 2 days of training in 2 weeks. I'm pretty bummed and disappointed in myself even though it's not my fault that the weather is so crazy. I live in a safe neighborhood, but still don't feel comfortable training in the dark even though it would be so wonderfully cooler!
  • varuca1
    Options
    No worries and Thanks for the welcome :)

The reason I have a problem with my treadmill is that it is really old and not made for running. I broke down and bought a new one, which will not be here till next Tuesday :(. I think that will make a difference until I can get outside an run. I ran on the one on the running store when I bought my shoes and didn't have a problem with my knees. I like to do my exercising on the morning, but like you, I don't feel comfortable running outside early in the morning. It's a safe neighborhood, but I don't want to see what it looks like at 4 am...lol.
  • taranicole8402
    Options
    That's so frustrating! Please let me know how the new treadmill works out for you. If you don't mind me asking, what kind of shoes are you using? I've been researching and there are so many options! I'm looking at the Asics Gel Kayano since they're apparently really good for those with knee issues.
  • varuca1
    Options
    I'm wearing the Saucony Women's Guide 6, which I love. I went to the Fleet Feet store in Altamonte Springs to get fitted for the right shoes and I'm so glad I did. We tried a few different brands before I found the right ones. The staff there is very knowledgeable and friendly. I had been wearing some Easy Spirits I had around the house and my feet and knees were both hurting. The right shoes really made the difference.

It can be very confusing with so many choices out there.
  • taranicole8402
    Options
    It's so confusing haha! Cool, I'm not too-too far from Altamonte Springs, I'll definitely have to give them a visit! Thanks for the info! :happy: