What's your "creature comfort"?

rhall9058
rhall9058 Posts: 270 Member
We all know what creatures of habit we are and can become. I'm new to the (for lack of a better way to say it) running for pleasure arena, so I'd like to know what it is I'm "missing out on" or haven't yet discovered. So I come to the wealth of knowledge of those "in the know."

What are your creature comforts for your workouts/races/training, whatever you want to call it. Whether it's a particular pair of socks or sock material, it's running with or without music, armbands, hydration packs, belts, earphones, types of shirts/shorts. What is it that you just absolutely have a horrible run if you don't have. It just bugs you if you are missing something, or you have to change something. What's your security blanket?

Replies

• sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Outside of the obvious (shoes, proper clothing), I love having my Garmin with me. I like seeing my mileage, route, and time. It can be pricey, but my husband got it for me as a birthday gift.

In term of shoes and clothing, there is nothing in particular I have really latched on to. I only get moisture wicking fabrics and I know what styles of shorts I avoid due to riding up & chaffing but I am not brand loyal at all.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Interesting question! I have to have my headphones, sweat band (sweat in the eyes is very painful), a piece of gum, lip balm and in the winter kleenex! If I forget any of those components I get grumpy. And my phone! To play music and track my run pace and mileage.
  • rhall9058
    Interesting question! I have to have my headphones, sweat band (sweat in the eyes is very painful), a piece of gum, lip balm and in the winter kleenex! If I forget any of those components I get grumpy. And my phone! To play music and track my run pace and mileage.

I think the headphones and phone with running app is the one thing that I've so far come to enjoy. That constant voice in my ear about distance, and HR, and goal training has really helped. I tried to run at lunch one day and didn't have it, and I was miserable the whole time.

What else?
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Love my Garmin, but get so frustrated when it takes eons to find the signal or craps out on me mid-run. What else? I must run with music (my brain would go batty without it) and I'll admit to an irrational fondness of lululemon running pants/crops.
  • rhall9058
    Love my Garmin, but get so frustrated when it takes eons to find the signal or craps out on me mid-run. What else? I must run with music (my brain would go batty without it) and I'll admit to an irrational fondness of lululemon running pants/crops.

An irrational fondness huh? Why that brand over others? comfort? fit? quality of material? do I hear an endorsement coming?
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    This is silly maybe but I am super picky about my pants. Picky to the point of distraction. Picky enough that when I bought my last set, I ordered an extra pair and left the tags on so I will have a pair in good shape for the marathon in December :happy:
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member

An irrational fondness huh? Why that brand over others? comfort? fit? quality of material? do I hear an endorsement coming?

I think Garmin was the first decent quality on the market and had a large share of the market for a long time. But now there are competitors out there that are getting comparable quality and better prices.
  • smiffy645
    smiffy645 Posts: 167 Member
    I try to force myself not to have something that I become superstitious about so that input myself on a downer before I even start.
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Love my Under Armor - compression shorts in the summer and compression tights in the winter! Runs just aren't the same when I don't have my dog Haley keeping me company!
  • cococa
    cococa Posts: 122 Member
    I always run with my nathan handheld, music of some sort, and inhaler. I also prefer my hidden comfort socks, favorite sports bra, and quickdry clothes. It's not the end of the world if I have to substitute something on a training run, but I'm a bit pickier for races.
  • WannabeStressFree
    WannabeStressFree Posts: 340 Member
    I need to carry water even in the shortest runs! My belt or handheld are fine. A trainer I once dated told me we need a drink every 10 minutes for the best heart function (I think I remember correctly..)
    I feel safe with it.
    Otherwise good running shorts (tight) to prevent riding up, phone to track everything and music, cap, polarized glasses on super sunny days. On long runs, a gel or energy bar...
    that's it for summer...
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member

Mostly it's the fabric. When I'm running I'm barely even conscious of them being there, yet they are supportive at the same time. I don't know how they do that! Unfortunately they're super expensive so I don't have nearly as many as I would like.
  • rhall9058
    I always run with my nathan handheld, music of some sort, and inhaler. I also prefer my hidden comfort socks, favorite sports bra, and quickdry clothes. It's not the end of the world if I have to substitute something on a training run, but I'm a bit pickier for races.

hidden comfort socks? please explain further? Just regular moisture control socks to prevent blisters, or something else?
  • rhall9058
    Love my Under Armor - compression shorts in the summer and compression tights in the winter! Runs just aren't the same when I don't have my dog Haley keeping me company!

Ok, since I'm to lazy to google, please explain what the advantage of compression shorts over regular running shorts is? More for distance? or you use all the time?
  • chriscm70
    chriscm70 Posts: 76 Member
    Nike pro combat compression shorts for sure, love 'em! I'm not sure what the "combat" is all about but they sure are comfy :-)
  • kijoneko
    kijoneko Posts: 56 Member
    My running hat has become my 'creature comfort'. I bought it to keep the rain out of my eyes, but it also keeps the sweat from running into my eyes, isn't too hot in the sun and stays on when it's windy.
    However the best thing about it is it makes me feel invisible! Weird but true. :)
  • Destanie_Robyn
    Destanie_Robyn Posts: 304 Member
    My dog! It feels weird to run without him.. and I also feel bad leaving him because he gets so excited when I put my workout gear on.. so when I leave the house without him I definitely feel bad :(
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Just getting out the door to run. The act itself is the creature comfort.
  • rhall9058
    My running hat has become my 'creature comfort'. I bought it to keep the rain out of my eyes, but it also keeps the sweat from running into my eyes, isn't too hot in the sun and stays on when it's windy.
    However the best thing about it is it makes me feel invisible! Weird but true. :)

That's a cool one. What kind do you use? brand?
  • rhall9058
    My dog! It feels weird to run without him.. and I also feel bad leaving him because he gets so excited when I put my workout gear on.. so when I leave the house without him I definitely feel bad :(

I know that feeling. Mine sees my shorts and shoes and he knows he's about to go do something. I also love running with him. My only problem so far is that he is only a year old and after a couple of miles he struggles to keep up. He's a border collie/lab mix, so I know he's got a lot of energy to expend. I'm hoping he gets conditioned in the same way I did and his mileage will creep up so that I'm not slowing down for him to keep up.
  • Destanie_Robyn
    Destanie_Robyn Posts: 304 Member

I know that feeling. Mine sees my shorts and shoes and he knows he's about to go do something. I also love running with him. My only problem so far is that he is only a year old and after a couple of miles he struggles to keep up. He's a border collie/lab mix, so I know he's got a lot of energy to expend. I'm hoping he gets conditioned in the same way I did and his mileage will creep up so that I'm not slowing down for him to keep up.

Mine is an american lab and so far I've been able to take him up to 6 miles with me and he does great.. I just started out slowly with him at 2 miles and then crept up. I also bring two water bottles with me ... one for me and one for him ☺

2qal8gk.jpg
  • rhall9058

Mine is an american lab and so far I've been able to take him up to 6 miles with me and he does great.. I just started out slowly with him at 2 miles and then crept up. I also bring two water bottles with me ... one for me and one for him ☺

2qal8gk.jpg

That's a gorgeous puppy!! He's very handsome!