10k Runs in/around Brum?

Options
Hi all!

I've been working on the C25k plan since the start of the year (it's been slow going what with all the snow and the fact that I fell over twice in it and was off jogging for a bit!) and I'd like to build myself up to a 10k later this year, if possible. I'm struggling, however, to find 10k runs in/near Birmingham that don't have a charity already attached to them (I'd like to choose my own). Anyone know of any I can do? I had thought about just setting up a JustGiving page and going to run about on my tod, but I imagine people will want me to do a 'proper' run so they can be sure I actually did do it :P

Replies

• smiffy645
    smiffy645 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Have a look here:

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/events/

in my experience you don't have to raise money for charity aligned with the runs, that way you can do your own just giving page and people can see your results on line.
  • Stacebob85
    Stacebob85 Posts: 95
    Options
    Splendid, thank you!
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Have a look at http://www.walkjogrun.net

Edit: I misread your original post :ohwell: The link I posted will show routes that other's have run rather than charity runs.

A runner friend of mine signs up for charity runs and makes a donation to the cause rather than running for the specific charity involved.
  • Stacebob85
    Options
    Thanks very much :)
  • plantboy2
    plantboy2 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    If you fancy some fun with it (jumping through flames and dodging obstacles!) then there is the Spartan Race in Tamworth on 21st September....

I'll be there with my top off and a red cape on, for Sparta! ;-P
  • Stacebob85
    Options
    That sounds utterly terrifying, I don't think I'm quite at the flaming-hoop stage yet :P
  • kiekie
    kiekie Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I'm just finishing up C25k and wanting to do some races too.

I thought that if there was a charity attached, it meant that part of the race fees were donated to that charity but you could still fundraise for them or another charity yourself by setting up a JustGiving or the like?

I'm in Cheltenham and am hoping to do the Badminton 10k in September. I'd LOVE to do an obstacle challenge like Spartan or Tough Mudder but am a bit apprehensive about flaming hoops and electric wires!

Good luck Plantboy2!
  • Stacebob85
    Options
    I could do. I was hoping to find some free races that I can just then attach whatever meaning I want to it (i.e. I don't have to do it for charity at all if I decide against it). I think I'm just inventing obstacles in my head because I'm scared to embarrass myself in a race!!
  • jollyjoe321
    jollyjoe321 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Stace, I know what you mean, rather than having the added pressure of sorting out a charity, initially just do the run for yourself to show you can do it!
  • Stacebob85
    Options
    I was thinking of starting the Park Runs (weekly 5ks in diferent parks around the country) but to run them properly you have to sign up, which means your time will be logged online so you can see where you placed... Not quite ready for that! I might just go along, scope out the course then run it later when everyone's gone :P
  • kiekie
    kiekie Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I'm planning on doing my local ParkRun too. They should have their own web page with the course marked out (mine do) so you can do it any time you want and join in with the actual race when you feel confident.

In my local results, the last people to finish the course are usually around 53 minutes so you have nothing to worry about joining in!