Cutting out dairy

Options
blueeyes25s
blueeyes25s Posts: 78 Member
Hi, has anyone cut dairy from your diet. My doctor is recommending me to cut dairy 100% to see if my baby may have a dairy allergy. I am finding it so hard to do. Have any of you tried any types of supplements such as replacing cows milk with almond milk, etc. It just seems dairy is in everything and also used to make so many different meals. Any advice/tips would be great.

Replies

• ks4e
    ks4e Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I cut it out for 3 months. By the time my daughter was 4 months, she could adjust to dairy in small amounts.

I used almond milk, vegan cheese and vegan butter, or simply swapped it out for coconut oil. I read labels on everything that was prepackaged.

Once I realized I had to do it, it was just easier to avoid things with dairy and eat something else, honestly.
  • rubybeach
    rubybeach Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    This is the next step I have to take if my girl doesn't improve :frown:

Almond milk isn't bad IMO. And check out this; http://www.beanmom.com/nomilk.html
  • Jillsie11
    Jillsie11 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I did it until just recently- although I would have ONE small serving of cheese a day- which was usually dinner. It was hard at first, but I got used to it. I drank Aldi brand original almond milk and it was a GREAT substitute. Stopped eating ice cream- but they have good dairy free frozen options as well. I was also able to still eat certain types of yogurts. I saw SUCH a change in her so it was well worth giving up my cow's milk. Now slowly working it back in (she's 8 months now and eating more solids) and she seems to be fine now!!
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Dark chocolate almond milk is delicious! I cut out regular milk but still had some dairy, because it gave my little man gas.
  • rosy003
    rosy003 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I am about to cut dairy as well. I'm going to try cutting everything except Greek yogurt first. I really can't imagine NOT eating yogurt, but if it doesn't work I'll cut that too. I don't think substitutions are really worth it. Non-dairy cheese just doesn't work the same in baking and cooking, so I'll just do without. I rarely drink milk, so no need for a substitution.
  • momRN2B
    momRN2B Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I had to cut out dairy till my son was a year old due to a dairy intolerance. I used either almond milk or soy milk and ate mainly fruits, veggies, fish, chicken, meat, eggs and wheat products. I found it easier to eat healthy since I couldnt have pizza, ice cream, chocolate or cheescake....which are all things i like. Good Luck, you get used to it after a few weeks.
  • lovelyrose11
    lovelyrose11 Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I personally haven't but I had a friend who has 2 children and with both she has to cut out all dairy for the first 3 months and slowly re-introduce it to her diet. I know it was extremely hard for her but I think she tried to find dairy substitutes. Although, in the end she just said she had to bite the bullet and just do it. I am sorry you are having to go through this. I hope it all works out for you and the lil one!
  • ks4e
    ks4e Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Totally forgot to mention that you should also start taking probiotics. It helps you and the baby by introducing healthy bacteria back into both of your guts. I use Jarro's, found in the refrigerated section of Whole Foods. You want to buy the refrigerated kind as the bacteria is at its best then. My daughter had terrible tummy issues from my dairy intake, and while I went dairy free, this helped ease her issues until she could get it out of her system on her own.
  • blueeyes25s
    Options
    I am about to cut dairy as well. I'm going to try cutting everything except Greek yogurt first. I really can't imagine NOT eating yogurt, but if it doesn't work I'll cut that too. I don't think substitutions are really worth it. Non-dairy cheese just doesn't work the same in baking and cooking, so I'll just do without. I rarely drink milk, so no need for a substitution.

I love my Greek yogurt and usually eat that for an afternoon snack and just find it find something so filing to replace that.
  • blueeyes25s
    Options
    Totally forgot to mention that you should also start taking probiotics. It helps you and the baby by introducing healthy bacteria back into both of your guts. I use Jarro's, found in the refrigerated section of Whole Foods. You want to buy the refrigerated kind as the bacteria is at its best then. My daughter had terrible tummy issues from my dairy intake, and while I went dairy free, this helped ease her issues until she could get it out of her system on her own.

I have been giving my baby probiotics which I have seen a huge improvement by just giving him that but I am not taking any. I should give probiatics a try as well.