Question for new people 45+

Options
irvisscott
irvisscott Posts: 18 Member
I started a couple of weeks ago, missed a couple of classes due to pulling a muscle helping move furniture, but like/hate, look forward to/dread it so far. My question for other older beginners is at what point do you need to start keeping track of advil in the food diary? They are becoming a staple of my diet.

Replies

• photogmama
    photogmama Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I started in May...I check on facebook to see if it's attainable for me...some are just way too advanced for my ability...be careful with advil...bad for your belly!
  • irvisscott
    Options
    I almost never take any pain medication, or any other medication if I can help it. I am sure a couple of weeks won't kill me.

I logged in to enter my dinner and had a message already from that Janebshaw warning me of the dangers.
  • photogmama
    photogmama Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    yes...and she's never done crossfit so what's her deal????
  • irvisscott
    Options
    No clue. We exchanged a couple of messages and she scolded me for not thanking her for going to the trouble of sending me the information.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    <-- 45 (46 in August)

I'm finishing up my 4th week of CF. I go M-F at 5am. Haven't missed a day yet. LOVE IT.

LOL at Advil. I've had to take a couple for my knee the last couple of weeks. Old Army injury. But honestly, it gets better. Just remember we are older and it is quite a shock to the system when you start CF. Glucosamine helps with the joints and BCAA's really reduce the soreness and help muscle recovery. Don't forget the whey protein on strength days. ;-)

Also be sure to scale or mod the exercises if something is beyond your ability. There's nothing wrong with it and it's actually how you avoid injuries. Your coaches should be offering scales and mods. If they aren't, you may want to check out another box or ask them to scale it for you. You should always push yourself, but never sacrifice form or safety.

Janebshaw is a pain in the a**. She and another user troll the CF boards bashing CF every chance they get. Just report her or block her. She gets banned all the time and comes back reincarnated as another user and continues her harassment.
  • happyheathen927
    happyheathen927 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Magnesium and potassium help a LOT with muscle soreness. I'll be 43 this year and started CF in January. Not gonna lie, 5x5 Romanian Deadlifts a week ago had me hobbling for a few days, but I think I only took one dose of Aleve. :wink: (Advil makes my ankles swell. Can't have that. :grumble: )
  • bushokie
    bushokie Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    l glutamine and foam roller and ice...the three food groups of crossfit....lol
  • ahemming1
    ahemming1 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I just turned 47 last month and have been doing CrossFit for about a year. BEST thing you will ever do for yourself. I tell everyone it's a fountain of youth.

As far as pain/soreness goes, I went months without much at all. But, I couldn't do an unassisted pull-up, either. Once I was able to get pull-ups, my shoulders seem to be sore a lot. Now, one other thing that I noticed...I took 8 BCAA (pill formula from Muscle Pharm) right after my WOD. I stopped taking them for a while and that's also when I felt more sore. I started taking them again about a week ago and feel much better. So, I am convinced it at least helps. I'm with you - I don't usually take anything, even for a headache.

Feel free to Friend me if you want.
  • irvisscott
    Options
    Made it without advil the latter part of the week. will try the bcaa's. maybe they will replace the calories I am missing from the advil :-).
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I turned 47 last month and been doing CF for 9 months. I also hit the gym 2 or 3 times a week. I guess I like the pain, I may take advil every now and then. Really haven't kept up with the calorie tracking lately either.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    No clue. We exchanged a couple of messages and she scolded me for not thanking her for going to the trouble of sending me the information.

She's a wingnut. Probably has never competed in anything in her entire life, put her kids into Little League baseball where they don't actually keep score (but every kid in the league knows who won and lost) you name it.

Why she feels it's her mission in life to **** on Crossfit I have no idea.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Made it without advil the latter part of the week. will try the bcaa's. maybe they will replace the calories I am missing from the advil :-).

Only 18 calories per scoop in the BCAA brand I use.