Gluten issues and PCOS

Just wondering if anybody could shed some light of whether or not there is a relation between PCOS and Gluten sensitivity/Cealiac Disease? I'm just curious as I have been having issues where I eat wheat based foods (like a simple sandwich or a bowl or pasta) and after I feel extremely bloated, have an upset stomach,occasionally have a gas build up, the inflammation in my hands plays up and I have headaches which will turn into migraines. Also through some googling I saw PCOS being mentioned as a symptom. Whether or not this is the case I am unsure.

I have an appointment with my gynecologist in 2 weeks for a PCOS check up and will run it by her. I am also eliminating wheat and gluten for a few days (3 or 4) just to see if I feel different. I'm trying not to do anything greatly drastic foodwise atm until I've spoken with my gynocologist.

Any information would be really helpful. Thanks!

Replies

• WifeofPJ
    WifeofPJ Posts: 312
    Some PCOS nutritionist like PCOSDiva and PCOSNutrition believe that many women with PCOS have an insensitivity to gluten. Check out those websites.
  • Thanks for the reply! I'll have a read of them and then arm myself with questions to ask my gynaecologist :)
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    My naturopath said that gluten is bad for people with PCOS and/or insulin resistance but didn't explain why. I just try to avoid it where I can, but haven't been able yet to cut it out completely.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    I've read that it's common for Cysters to have gluten sensitivities. Not sure how much research is backing it but I think wherever I read this, they said a certain percentage of Cysters have gluten sensitivities.
  • toxicat
    toxicat Posts: 79
    I personally think gluten is not healthy for anyone. I stopped eating it completely. I don't think it's necessarily more common among those with PCOS. This coming from my own experiences, research, and meeting MANY many people with gluten intolerance/sensitivities or even Celiac... and they do not have PCOS. I just feel most people if not all are better off without it. Some just tolerate it better than others- doesn't mean it is healthy though.

Here's some info from PCOS Diva: http://www.pcosdiva.com/2013/03/pcos-gluten-fertility/
  • Thanks for all your responses! I'll have a chat with my gynaecologist when I see her in a couple of weeks and let you know what she says :)