8 months...

Options
dicegame04
dicegame04 Posts: 8 Member
Ok, so I've been taking Phentermine for about 8 months now. It has really helped kick start my (now) healthy habits and makes me feel great (full of energy and in a good mood)...along with losing almost 50 lbs! :happy: I see a doctor every 6 weeks for it, and he assesses me, takes vitals, asks me if I have any issues, etc, then says, "ok here's a script and I'll see you in 6 weeks." I started with a fourth of the pill (I have a very low tolerance for meds), and am now taking half and another third in the afternoon, only if I KNOW I'm going to work out. He's never told me it should only be taken for 3 months at a time, or tried weaning me off of it. I guess what I'm trying to get at is...I just want to make sure this is safe. I do feel like I'm at the point I can continue eating well and exercising without it, but sometimes I'm so tired! On the weekends, I try not to take it and have no issues, but during the week when I have to get up at 6:30 am and work all day, take care of a two year old alone (I'm a single mom), Phentermine is the only thing that helps me through the day. Any one else taken it for this long without long periods of stopping? I just want to make sure I don't become dependant on it!

Replies

• aubreywandell
    Options
    Today is only my 7th day on it. I would ask your Dr. because it is bad for your heart if used over 3 months. Im not trying to freak you out because I am obviously not a Dr. But I would ask him just to be sure. Some Drs. wont even prescribe it because of the heart risk. And it is also highly addictive. Just be careful with it (: I love it so far and I am so glad to hear that you lost 50 lbs on it!!! Gives me hope! I am headed to my first weigh in because I go once a week!
  • dicegame04
    Options
    Thanks! Yeah, that's kinda what I was thinking, but he does do ekg's every 3 months too. My heart and bp have always been ok. I think I'm more afraid of the addiction. :frown: I go see him again next week, so I'm gonna be sure to ask him!
  • Shannota
    Shannota Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    July 3rd will make 12 months for me. I have had tremendous success and have discussed the risks with my doctor. He informed me that the latest research, which treats the obesity medicines as disease medications (just as you would with cholesterol or blood pressure problems), has shown that while the phentermine may become less effective over time, it still helps. He stated that people who "take a break" from it tend to regain. The studies have shown that adding another medicine to get the weight further under control (just as you would do if you had results with lowering bad cholesterol, but needed to lower it further) is much more effective. For weight loss, this is adding Topomax to end up with the newer approved qsymia, which is exactly what my dr prescribed for me and it is helping me to break through my 5 month plateau.

Before everyone who has been on Topomax for as a seizure medication starts jumping all over this thread and scaring everyone, the dosage is much smaller as a prescription for weight loss than for seizure and the side effects are typically much more mild. I am told it is highly unlikely that I will become any more forgetful than I already was, for example.

Basically, find a doctor who you trust and with whom you can discuss your concerns. My dr is fantastic and explains everything until I understand thoroughly, and he monitors all my numbers to make sure I stay healthy...a good doctor is worth his weight in gold!
  • dicegame04
    Options
    So since your doctor treats it as an obesity med like a bp med, does that mean you will be on it forever? I do not want to use it that long! :noway: lol! I hate taking meds in general, but I do see my doctor this week, and I trust him, so I will be sure to question him with all my concerns. Thanks so much for your help. It's nice to have this group and get insightful advice, instead of people just judging and coming back with outrageous responses! :smile:
  • Shannota
    Shannota Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    O, no. I was really sleepy when I replied last night...sorry. Once I am finished losing weight, I will be weaned off both medications. My calories will also be increased until I figure out where maintenance is. I don't know the ins and outs completely yet...as I have another 40-50 pounds that I really want to lose (50 would put me at the high end of "normal" for the first time in my life, according to that darned bmi chart...my family carries a lot of muscle though, so we tend to be outlighers). No, I don't want to be on medicine the rest of my life either! And I doubt the medicines would stay effective for decades at a time even if I wanted to be on them that long!

Truthfully, I anticipate that maintenance will be the really tough part...learning to STAY in the right place...I have always been a yoyo, so once I an at goal, staying will be a whole new thing to learn.

I hope you have a fantastic journey to the new you!
  • dicegame04
    Options
    Truthfully, I anticipate that maintenance will be the really tough part...learning to STAY in the right place...I have always been a yoyo, so once I an at goal, staying will be a whole new thing to learn.

This is so me here! Plus, I also have about 50 more lbs I need to lose! :grumble: I do feel confident this time I will be able to keep the weight off. Eventually I know I won't need the pill anymore, but i will wean off it when I get closer to my goal...as long as my doc agrees, of course! Thanks again!