Self Identifying as Hispanic

Options
Lone_Wolf70
Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
I read an AP article on the Zimmerman/Trayvon case and it referred to Zimmerman as someone who "self identifies as Hispanic.." I have never heard anything like this before. Isnt it like calling him a fake hispanic?

Replies

• k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I guess I can see why they would say that... he is half German, half Peruvian... and I don't think South Americans are technically "Hispanics"... but I could be wrong about that as it was a very long time ago when a friend of Mexican descent explained it to me.
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Options
    South Americans are definitely hispanic. Your Mexican friend is quite mistaken.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options

Not necessarily. I know many an Argentine who would take issue with being called Hispanic.
  • JaneDough_
    JaneDough_ Posts: 301 Member
    Options

Not necessarily. I know many an Argentine who would take issue with being called Hispanic.

That's probably because he is arrogant like most Argentinians that refuse to assimilate with the rest of Latin American. They are Hispanics. Period.

"Hispanic" is a term that is broadly used to refer to the culture, peoples, or nations with a historical link to Spain. The term is commonly applied to those countries which were once colonized by Spain, particularly the countries of Latin America which were colonized by Spain. And Argentina WAS colonized by Spain. Tell your friend to get off his high horse.
  • wineplease
    wineplease Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    My sons' father is Hispanic and I am not. They consider themselves Hispanic, so some may say the "self identify" as Hispanic because they could also choose to say they're caucasian. But, that doesn't make them fake Hispanics.
  • JaneDough_
    JaneDough_ Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Actually tell him to go educate himself on the history of his own country.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Jane is speaking for me today.

Maybe in Zimmerman's case they just mean he chooses to focus on his Hispanic ancestry and culture more than his German/Jewish/whatever roots? I don't know. It's an odd term.

What I find laughable is the idea that someone who is a minority cannot possibly be a racist against another minority, which is something I hear a lot of people say to defend Zimmerman.
  • CapnGordo
    CapnGordo Posts: 327
    Options
    My sons' father is Hispanic and I am not. They consider themselves Hispanic, so some may say the "self identify" as Hispanic because they could also choose to say they're caucasian. But, that doesn't make them fake Hispanics.
    Being Hispanic and being Caucasian are not mutually exclusive. In fact, most Hispanic people are Caucasian. One references cultural/linguistic heritage, while the other is a race category.
  • k8blujay2
    Options
    I dunno... all I know that has been explained to me that there is a difference between Latino's, Hispanic's, and Mexican's...

But either way... his mother is Peruvian.
  • wineplease
    wineplease Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Being Hispanic and being Caucasian are not mutually exclusive. In fact, most Hispanic people are Caucasian. One references cultural/linguistic heritage, while the other is a race category.
    My point is they can call themselves whatever they want.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I dunno... all I know that has been explained to me that there is a difference between Latino's, Hispanic's, and Mexican's...

Mexican and Peruvian are nationalities. Latino and Hispanic are two different words that mean you descend from Spanish ancestry.
  • k8blujay2
    Options

Mexican and Peruvian are nationalities. Latino and Hispanic are two different words that mean you descend from Spanish ancestry.

Not necessarily though, from what I understand... For example, Brazilians are considered Latino but not Hispanic as they speak and identify with Portuguese language and culture. And what I am saying is that Zimmerman could be considered Hispanic (?) because he is half Peruvian.
  • CapnGordo
    CapnGordo Posts: 327
    Options

Not necessarily though, from what I understand... For example, Brazilians are considered Latino but not Hispanic as they speak and identify with Portuguese language and culture. And what I am saying is that Zimmerman could be considered Hispanic (?) because he is half Peruvian.
    Hispanic: Of Spanish descent
    Latino: Of Latin American descent, including Brazil (the term is pretty much only used in the US)
    Mexican: From Mexico
    Peruvian: From Peru
    Argentine: From Argentina
    Martian: From Mars...
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    Actually tell him to go educate himself on the history of his own country.

such anger. His parents are German and Italian descent.
  • k8blujay2
    Options

Hispanic: Of Spanish descent
    Latino: Of Latin American descent, including Brazil (the term is pretty much only used in the US)
    Mexican: From Mexico
    Peruvian: From Peru
    Argentine: From Argentina
    Martian: From Mars...

I'm fully aware of what the last four are and even what the first two are.... my point is, even within people of Hispanic/Latino origin there is ambiguity... Thus, he can call himself whatever he wants... just like I don't call myself Caucasian...
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Yeah. I have all kinds of friends from the Spanish Speaking countries in the Carribeans, Mexico, South America. All of them consider themselves Hispanic. People from Spain, on the other hand, consider themselves white. Go figure.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    As Captngordo said:

"Being Hispanic and being Caucasian are not mutually exclusive. In fact, most Hispanic people are Caucasian. One references cultural/linguistic heritage, while the other is a race category."
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, here's an example of a guy born in Argentina who has no Spanish ancestry but "self identifies" as Hispanic.
    Pakman was born in Buenos Aires; one side of his family had emigrated from the Ukraine to Argentina before World War I, and the other from Poland just before World War II. http://www.jewishledger.com/2010/04/q-a-with-david-pakman/
    Although he is Hispanic, would David Pakman be likely questioned under this new law? http://www.davidpakman.com/2010/04/april-28-2010/
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Options
    the point of my post is the writer of the article is the one who disputes his hispanic-ness, by claiming he self-identifies. Which is really a crock of ish. Do ppl refer to Obama as someone who "self identifies" as black? That would be stupid.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Yeah. I have all kinds of friends from the Spanish Speaking countries in the Carribeans, Mexico, South America. All of them consider themselves Hispanic. People from Spain, on the other hand, consider themselves white. Go figure.

Well, yes, ethnic Spanish people are white. But so are many Hispanic people. Hispanic (in the US) implies a historical relationship to Spain or Portugal (thanks, wikipedia!), it's not a race. Just like the US, Central and South America has people descended from natives (brown people), slaves (black people), and Europeans (white people), but they are all Hispanic. My wife is Hispanic (Colombian) and white.