Binging at night

Options
I lost 8 pounds and recently I have been binging at night. I have gained 5 of those 8 pounds already. I eat well during the day and exercise but after I go to bed I will wake up throughout the night and visit the fridge. I have tried everything and I haven't found a solution to the problem. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• Daisydog37
    Daisydog37 Posts: 1
    Options
    I so relate to this! I've been bingeing on and off for nearly 20 years, and have recently committed to stopping this horrible cycle once and for all. I've had good nights and bad nights, but here's what has worked for me:

1. Sitting with the emotion: what feeling are you trying to "stuff"? Bored, lonely, stressed, etc? Sometimes identifying that I'm not hungry but trying to "feed" my emotion helps me stop. It's uncomfortable, but it's better to deal with it then continue the cycle.
    2. Distraction: what else can you do that will make you happy? Read a good book, take a bath, dance around your bedroom, take a walk, call a friend. Whatever it takes to get you over that initial craving to eat whatever's in sight.
    3. Eating healthy and working out: keeping on a consistent schedule of eating healthy things and working out sometimes makes me not want to binge at night--when I wake up in the morning and I feel awful and don't want to work out, I feel guilty and terrible. Keeping me on a healthy path helps sometimes.
    4. Getting support: I have a few friends that I know I can text/call/email when I feel a binge coming on. Sometimes just having them listen, and sometimes talk me out of it ("Remember you're trying to lose weight", "You don't need that cookie, you need to talk", whatever) is enough to make me stop.

I'm constantly looking for ways to kick this icky problem of mine. I hope these ideas help. Let me know what works for you too!
  • ebscrebs
    ebscrebs Posts: 17
    Options
    Also, make it super inconvenient to go to the fridge. Maybe flip the fuse that lights your way to the kitchen, place chairs in front of the pantry and fridge. These things wouldn't be a big deal in the morning, but in the dark they may make you think twice about all the extra effort that may be required.

Also, you could count a midnight snack in your daily calories. Put something by your bed such as a bowl of veggies or fruit and snack on them when you get the urge.