Team Twilight 4th of July week challenge

Options
surfrgrl1
surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
Happy Sunday All!

Are we ready for a little summer challenge? This one will exercise our brains and bodies.
For kicks and grins lets start the challenge today (Sunday) and run it through next Sunday July 7th!

:drinker: H20. 64 ounces per day...or 48 H20 + 16 decaf beverage, don't forget that foods like fruits and veggies contain high amounts of water and are good for you too. (Think juicy and refreshing - did you know that lettuce is 95% water, and watermelon is 92%?)

:huh: strength training Make a list of what you do that is probably less obvious....... Focus on things that contribute to overall strength ..lifting stuff like groceries, carrying kids or pets, watering flowers with a watering can, rearranging furniture ( all that tugging, pushing, pulling), lowering yourself into the tub at the end of the hard day. :wink:

:flowerforyou: Cardio. Focus on choices that require more leg power. Stairs versus elevator, walking up escalator versus standing, parking further away from the store or work (safety has to be #1 concern, unless you are packing heat..and I don't mean hot flashes, however, I will say that either should be a deterrent to a would be assailant)!

:happy: Laughter... Find and do something that makes you or someone else smile this week. According to a PBS article..."Laughing out loud, being quietly amused, anticipating something funny, and even forcing a smile or chuckle can all lead to increases in positive emotions and neutralize negative emotions, which can help keep us on the “upward spiral” to greater happiness."

:tongue: Twilight: always makes me smile! Let's cite Twilight scenes, moments, music, that makes us happy!

:smokin: Daily report out: Come back and share with us. Did you laugh or smile? How did you do with your non traditional strength training and cardio? Did you think of Twilight today?

Have a great week ladies!

Replies

• 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,850 Member
    Options
    I'm in! This week will be challenging, what with party on the 4th and prepping for it before. :drinker:
  • surfrgrl1
    Options
    Kathy, I was thinking it would be kinda tough as well. But just think, all that prepping will involve strength, endurance, humor and I am sure some thought of Twilight will pop into your head!
  • ScarlettVamp
    ScarlettVamp Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Great challenge, Yvonne! Especially for a holiday week. I could certainly use some additional laughter in my life too. :laugh:
  • surfrgrl1
    Options
    Sunday Check in:

Strength....trimming a big overgrown towering bush, used heavy tree loppers. I think I am gonna be sore tomorrow. Also did some arm work with a weighted bar.

Cardio...was watching "Roll Bounce" a retro roller skating movie and I got some dancing in during some of the songs. I think I need that soundtrack!

Laughter: ummm, laughing at myself dancing during the movie. And laughing at humorous parts of the movie.

H20-- about 4 cups of water, and some tasty sugar free strawberry lemonade

Twilight thoughts: saw some teen boys out walking tonight. One was dark headed and reminded me of the wolf pack. Too slight of build to be Jacob, maybe Embry....
  • Shell_7609
    Shell_7609 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Sunday Check in:

H20. 8 glasses

strength training: grocery shopping today, decided that 1 trip from the car was enough

Cardio. Focus on choices that require more leg power. 35 minute walk this morning

Laughter... read a funny fan fiction earlier

Twilight: because of Twilight I've met several great friends, and going to see 2 musicians originally because they were 2 of Rob's best friends, then finding out I love their music, Sam needs to come back to Cleveland. I need another hour long bizarre conversation about taking a road trip & having naked pillow fights while drinking Jamesons. I also could use a Sam Bradley hug!!
  • w8sarge
    w8sarge Posts: 3,798 Member
    Options
    I'm in! What great ideas for independent thinking about food and fitness on Independence day week!

My Sunday check-in:

Strength: Wrestling with two child infant car seats--trying to get them in the back seat of my small two-door car. I finally succeeded, but was dripping with sweat by the end of that workout!

Cardio: Walking in short bursts to run the different sprinkler stations at my MIL's house.

Laughing: umm, same as you, Yvonne, laughing at myself and how funny I must have looked during my "wrestling match".

H2O: Working on more water as I post, but had 6 + 2 cups tea.

Twilight: When I came in with sweat dripping off me this afternoon all I could think was that I really needed a Cold One! :wink:
  • 77tes
    Options
    Sunday check in.

Strength: Pulled myself out bed after a loooong nap, lol!:laugh:

Cardio: Running the TV and the AC. :laugh:

Laughing: Watching a Coach marathon.

H2O: 10 cups of water. When it's hot, it's pretty easy to drink enough water.

Twilight: A friend posted the video of the cottage scene on FB. :love:
  • ScarlettVamp
    Options
    Sunday check in.

H2O: 7 cups + 2 cups of coffee (though I guess the caffeinated stuff doesn't count!)

Strength: Lugging in groceries from the car including 2 cases of bottled water.

Cardio: Walked the super Walmart while alternately pushing/pulling the cart depending on which my 6 yr old wanted to do at the time (she likes to help with the cart but changes her mind often on pushing/pulling). Actually running in and out of my house to get the groceries in before a storm hit.

Laughing: I laughed quite a bit yesterday when my 6 year old insisted we play "mommy and baby" and I had to be the baby.:laugh:

Twilight: I read this challenge and thought about the scene in Eclipse where Edward says something about Jacob being bare chested AGAIN. I think it's "Doesn't he own a shirt?". That always makes me giggle.:wink:
  • MindyBlack
    MindyBlack Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Sunday check in: I didn't track water but I know I was way over, no problems there.
    Strength/cardio: cleaned bathroom, rode bike as cross training day. That may not seem like an alternative exercise but you all know I want to be running instead.
    Laughing: Umm, please don't check my texts between me and my buddy Esther. Really, you don't want to know.
    Twilight: It rained a bunch, does that count? And I am positive at some point in the day Rob's hotness crossed my mind.
  • MindyBlack
    MindyBlack Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Sunday check in.

H2O: 7 cups + 2 cups of coffee (though I guess the caffeinated stuff doesn't count!)

Strength: Lugging in groceries from the car including 2 cases of bottled water.

Cardio: Walked the super Walmart while alternately pushing/pulling the cart depending on which my 6 yr old wanted to do at the time (she likes to help with the cart but changes her mind often on pushing/pulling). Actually running in and out of my house to get the groceries in before a storm hit.

Laughing: I laughed quite a bit yesterday when my 6 year old insisted we play "mommy and baby" and I had to be the baby.:laugh:

Twilight: I read this challenge and thought about the scene in Eclipse where Edward says something about Jacob being bare chested AGAIN. I think it's "Doesn't he own a shirt?". That always makes me giggle.:wink:

You mean this one, Twi?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaXt_5dBF14
  • nlsalvatore
    nlsalvatore Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    A day late, but I love it! I posted earlier on my status about goals for the new month - drop 5 lbs., add more fruits/veggies, & cut back on the soda - I only drink diet, but I'm cutting it back to one or less a day. I have been replacing it with water, and hit the water goal for yesterday and today.

I have been back at exercise with my Wii Fit. I had done 30 minutes last week, and set the goal for myself to up it to 40 this week.

Laughter & smiles - my daughter made me laugh today!
  • surfrgrl1
    Options
    Monday check in:

Laughter, reading all the Sunday posts made me smile! I went to a friends and we had movie night. We watched Warm Bodies and that movie always makes me laugh!

H20. Did better today than yesterday, but not as well as I should have.

Cardio...okay...I did take the elevator once I got in to work, but, I got to grab a 30 minute outside lunch walk with my coworker, which we haven't been able to do since it's been so hot lately. Taking advantage of this nicer weather while it lasts.

Strength...nothing today but I can sure feel the effects of taking down that overgrown zombie shrub in the back yard yesterday.

Twilight: the trailer for Breaking Dawn Part 2 was at the front of the movie we watched tonight....all I can say is...damn that Edward looks hot!

The Host comes out this month! Wooohoo I know what we will be watching for our next movie night!
  • 77tes
    Options
    Monday check in :

Cardio/strength: Curves circuit.

H2O : 13 glasses

Laughter: My granddaughter was discussing the merits of Email vs phone calls. (She is six) .

Twilight : Flightless Bird was playing at Starbucks today :) which got me thinking about the Prom scene.
  • surfrgrl1
    Options
    Grrrrr. I got almost my entire Tuesday check in written and it all disappeared! Rats.

Laughter: I wore a wig to a meeting today as a joke. Red, long, curly, it came from Target, it's the girl from the movie Brave. Anyway, Our meeting was to celebrate meeting our WIG (wildly important goals) for 2nd quarter. Some of us had joked about wearing a wig, but I was the only one that followed through, or 'Brave' enough to do it. Our VP, senior and first level managers were at the celebration. I think they all thought I was crazy and maybe I am, but I think I made a lasting impression on them.

Twilight: just once, I wish I was brave enough to tell my VP, whose name is Robert Mattinson from the UK that I wish he was Robert Pattinson from the UK. :love:

H20. Really focused on keeping a full glass of something at my side at all times!!

Cardio/strength. Pulling the hose around the yard to move the sprinkler, & spraying weeds....now I understand why people invest in sprayers, gotta be so much easier than bending down a hundred times to spray weeds. Sprayer is definitely going on my checklist!!!

Hope everyone is having a great week!
  • ScarlettVamp
    Options
    Monday and Tuesday check in.

H2O: 8 cups Monday and 10 on Tuesday

Strength: Monday - I worked my brain thinking of a way to force myself to eat cottage cheese. Does that count?. Tuesday - playing with my 6 yr old, picking her up, moving her around - light "wrestling" basically

Cardio: Monday - neighborhood walkin' while mentally holding off the rain. Tuesday - Running around my currently messy bedroom while channel surfing. No, I didn't clean it while in there. :ohwell: Oh, and shivering at work until my boss loaned me her ceramic heater. That place is too freakin' cold!

Laughing: Monday - I looked in my file cabinet drawer at work and realized it looks like I'm stocking my pantry. Bread, oatmeal, syrup, paper plates/bowls, measuring cups, crackers, rice cakes, and even cookies...and that's just the stuff that's not in the fridge! Tuesday - My daughter pretended to call the police on me because I wouldn't let her be the mommy. It was pretty darn funny listening to her pretend conversation.:laugh:

Twilight: I saw a blip on t.v. about Kristen Stewart hanging out with other single female celebs since she broke up with Rob. I thought it was pretty funny that she's hanging out with other women while I'm hanging out with Rob. Okay, so it's in my imagination, but that still counts!:blushing:
  • surfrgrl1
    Options
    Leigh Ann, you killed me with your comment about spending time with Rob while Kristen spends time with her single friends. You managed to make me laugh first thing this morning!
  • 77tes
    Options
    Tues check in (a bit late) and Wed check in (a bit early).

Cardio / strength - Tues - nada! More of a give me strength kinda day. Wed - Curves curcuit.

H2O - 11 - 13 glasses per day. Yvonne, having a glass at my elbow is what works for me. There is always a bottle of water on my desk (it used to be a cup of coffee with LOTS of cream and sugar).

Laughter - I laugh a lot, but when asked to say something funny, the crickets begin to chirp.

Twilight - Tues. a coworker recounted the tale of when Taylor came to the lab, back in 2009. Why, oh why wasn't I working that day! Of course, that was before I got into Twilight, so I probably wouldn't have appreciated the opportunity.
    Today I was left home alone briefly (my keepers slipped up), so I put on the Twilight soundtrack, cranking it up full blast, and made tomorrow's potato salad to the accompaniment of Super Massive Blackhole.
  • ScarlettVamp
    Options
    Yvonne, I just want to see a pic of you in your WIG, preferably talking to Robert Mattinson Pattinson!:wink:

Wednesdy check in.

H2O: 8 cups

Strength: Picking up the feelings of all the butthurt customers I dealt with today, soothing said feelings, and then giving them back to their owners all shiny and pretty. UGH.

Cardio: Got a 30 minute walk in between rain showers and darkness.

Laughing: After declining the Chick-fil-a chocolate chunk cookie today, the co-worker who brought them told me she didn't even want to know how many calories were in one...at least not until Monday. Hours later when I looked up the calories to fight off my craving for one, I sent her an email with the nutritional info with the subject line "Don't read until Monday". At the end of the email it said "No, you can't hit me! I told you not to read it until Monday".:tongue:

Twilight: While walking tonight and trying to deal with the stifling humidity, I thought of Bella saying " I'd rather drink water not breathe it" in Eclipse regarding the Jacksonville, Fla. humidity. No kidding, Bella!
  • Shell_7609
    Shell_7609 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Catching up on my week:

Monday:

H20. 8 glasses

strength training: realizing that the laundry fairy is never going to show up & carrying a laundry basket up & down the steps catching up with procrastination (also arguing with the sock eating monster in the dryer)

Cardio. 55 minutes water walking

Laughter... listened to a Gabriel Iglesias stand up show

Twilight: was thinking of vampire baseball when I saw the thunderstorms in the forecast

Tuesday:

H20. 7 glasses

strength training: grocery shopping with mom, carrying the bags in with one trip

Cardio. Mall walking, parked further away

Laughter... thought my goddaughter's response to having to buy a larger bra size was really funny (she's 12)

Twilight: Watched "Under the Dome" on DVR with Rachelle LaFevre in it

Wednesday:

H20. 8 glasses

strength training: cleaning & moving furniture

Cardio: water walking class

Laughter... at myself for not being up & ready before the AC guy got here & I had to answer the door in my pajamas

Twilight: watched Breaking Dawn 1 on Showtime
  • surfrgrl1
    Options
    Ohhh..I didn't know Rachel was in Under the Dome. I have it recorded so I need to watch it!

Edited to say I watched my recordings and Butt Crack Santa is also in Under the Dome!!! WTG, love to see our Twilight actors in other roles!