Recovery post-workout

Options
momof2osaurus
momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
I did my first foundations/on-ramp program today. I struggled as I'm in horrible shape, but I pushed and got through it. Unfortunately after I was done, I was basically incapacitated (queasy, dizzy, kind of out of it) for about half an hour. I also threw up in the parking lot. :-/

What can I do to improve that recovery time?? I knew I was working hard, and that I wanted to quit, but I didn't think I pushed THAT hard.

Replies

• SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    Sorry you felt bad after your first workout, but congrats on starting (and finishing!) it!

Be sure to hydrate well before, during & after the workout. Also, I WOD either on an empty stomach (early a.m.) or if I'm working out in the afternoon, I eat something about 1-2 hours before the WOD so that I have time to digest. Be sure you are fueling properly as CF is intense. If you wod early am, eat something before bed.
  • ahemming1
    ahemming1 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I WOD on an empty stomach first thing in the morning as well. I take some supplements and drink plenty of water, but no food.

Now, my son's first day, he puked as well. But, he was always a morning puker at football lifting as well. He would eat a few saltine crackers on the way, and that seemed to help. He never puked again.

Welcome to CrossFit! and Good Luck on reaching your goals!
  • kevie1021
    kevie1021 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I am also one who generally does my WOD on an empty stomach because I workout first thing in the morning. But this was a big mistake for me this past weekend when I went to a little later class and hadn't eaten in over 12 hours by then. I was dizzy, and nauseaous and weak by the time we hit the second part of the workout. I am going to try to get at least a little something in me no sooner than an hour before I workout; something like just a banana. I know you need to fuel your body, but I can't have too much because then i'll meet Mr. Pukey!

As for recovery, that will just develop as you progress. Once your body gets more acclimated to working out, and your stamina and endurance improves, your recovery will as well. Most people (including myself) will have a protein drink afterward which will help repair and rebuild your body. So I would look into that. I also know some people use simple chocolate milk as their recovery drink and claim it's just as good.

Good luck!! Great job on getting through day 1!
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    I have eaten a half of a larabar or the larabar minis before an early morning WOD just to have SOMETHING in my stomach
  • momof2osaurus
    Options
    So I thought about it some more, and I'm pretty sure what happened was that my blood sugar went way down, very quickly. I had a couple oz of chicken breast about an hour before I started (at 7 am), but I probably should take some fruit or something. I'd love to do a protein shake, but I eat paleo and am not sure I can afford paleo protein powder, ha!
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    So I thought about it some more, and I'm pretty sure what happened was that my blood sugar went way down, very quickly. I had a couple oz of chicken breast about an hour before I started (at 7 am), but I probably should take some fruit or something. I'd love to do a protein shake, but I eat paleo and am not sure I can afford paleo protein powder, ha!

Don't be too anal about Paleo. Isopure Low Carb is pretty decent. There is some artificial sweetener but one serving is 50g of carbs.

I know from my high school soccer days that I can't eat for 3 hours before an intense workout like that. Anything closer and I risk puking and I wanted to make a good first impression today.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options

Don't be too anal about Paleo. Isopure Low Carb is pretty decent. There is some artificial sweetener but one serving is 50g of carbs.

I know from my high school soccer days that I can't eat for 3 hours before an intense workout like that. Anything closer and I risk puking and I wanted to make a good first impression today.

YES! Do not be uberPaleo. Nothing wrong with a little Whey Protein for your muscles. As far as your first WOD, YOU FINISHED! Here's some tips...

1) If you eat prior to a WOD, eat something VERY neutral and only in a small amount. Better to not eat within 2 hours of your WOD.
    2) HYDRATE! HYDRATE! HYDRATE!
    3) Breathe! Always breathe!
    4) Rest... listen to your body during a WOD. If you feel dizzy, take a rest. If your muscles are cramping, take a rest. No reason to visit Uncle Rhabdo.
    5) Scale/Mod the exercises. No one goes in balls out Day 1. There's no shame in scaling.
    6) Keep going!

Just keep WODding. You will be amazed at how fast your body will respond. Just always try and push yourself to be better than yesterday.
  • momof2osaurus
    Options
    Unfortunately dairy is one of the food groups that cause me physical discomfort, so I'm not sure whey protein is the best plan.

I was MUCH better the second day of class, I ate more before class and had food available for right after and felt a ton better. Thanks for the help!
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    Glad you felt better on the 2nd day - like others have said - scale scale scale and listen to your body. No point carrying on if you are feeling dizzy/sick, you will end up being a danger to yourself and others around you.
    You will soon learn to recognise when you can and shouldn't go on - best of luck.:drinker:
  • ortega1990
    ortega1990 Posts: 236 Member
    Options

As for recovery, that will just develop as you progress. Once your body gets more acclimated to working out, and your stamina and endurance improves, your recovery will as well. Most people (including myself) will have a protein drink afterward which will help repair and rebuild your body. So I would look into that. I also know some people use simple chocolate milk as their recovery drink and claim it's just as good.

I know chocolate milk is a popular post-marathon drink. The combination of sugar and protein helps the runners recover.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately dairy is one of the food groups that cause me physical discomfort, so I'm not sure whey protein is the best plan.

I was MUCH better the second day of class, I ate more before class and had food available for right after and felt a ton better. Thanks for the help!

Excellent! Most people who have dairy issues have it with casein, not whey, but there are other protein options out there too.

I have a grocery store literally right next to my box. I walk in and buy two bananas before every workout now to eat afterwards.