First Official Stall....and it's really discouraging

Options
I think I am officially in a stall, have not lost an ounce in 10 days! I also think I got a little too comfortable with the instant gratification of losing 3-5 pounds or more a week and now I am really upset over nothing the past 10 days. I am not an every day weigher, I only weigh at the doctor's as an effort to avoid this feeling of disappointment but today I was the same as 10 days ago and that just deflated me like....ALOT. I know I should be happy with the 57 pounds since surgery 13 weeks ago but I am just frustrated to not see a smaller number at the doctor.

On the other hand, I am losing inches still....Only not a single one from my thighs since surgery and they are HUGE, like huge huge. :(
C'mon squats get working any day now!

Replies

• trinoc
    trinoc Posts: 73
    Options
    I haven't had my surgery yet but I just wanted to offer you some encouragement. You've done so great! Don't lose heart. I'm sure those pounds and inches will be coming off again very soon. They have to! :-)
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I estimate you are about 3-4 months out. This first year is your grace period. The measurements and scale will drop, not exactly the same all the time, but in the first 12 months is your chance to learn how to eat and exercise the rest of your life, if you want to keep it off. The scale doesn't always tell the true story, like you said you are still losing inches.

Concentrate hard on weighing/measuring and logging everything that passes your lips. Liquids can be the biggest down fall sometimes, so make sure you include all drinks. Don't look at the scale, look at the things that need to change. Otherwise you are just going to look at the scale go down and then up again.
  • rlshopp6
    rlshopp6 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    It is hard when you're used to doing everything right, and the wonderful gratification of seeing the scale change. I agree, your first year after surgery is the time to get all your good habits in place, and celebrate when you do lose weight or inches, and just keep doing those good things even when you don't. Because by sticking to those things (daily workouts/activity, eating the right amounts and healthy, filling foods, etc.) you are changing your brain and all the years of other ways of thinking that were not as healthy. It's definitely the harder job, to stick with it all when the plateaus and things happen, but they do and they will and what you do now is so important.

It's exactly right to reach out to friends who have been through this, to your doctors office, nutritionists, etc. as they'll have encouragement and good ideas for you. I've had several stalls, for most of my second year post-surgery I hovered at the same weight (up and down within 20 pounds, but overall around the same marker) and there was definitely times of discouragement and fear. Trying new activities (for me, weightlifting with a trainer, and the right trainer was an incredible help) so mix things up and keep your workouts enjoyable, or some new foods or combinations, depending on what stage you're at and what you can tolerate. And of course for women, the monthly cycle wreaks havoc with my weight, I'll go up or maintain even though by all the math in the world I should've lost weight that week.

You can do this, just keep going!
  • ashleegil
    ashleegil Posts: 26
    Options
    I was wrong about my weeks out, I am only 10 weeks out yesterday! Wooops. I broke my stall as well just this morning down 4 pounds! Thanks everyone for the encouragement!
  • trinity9058
    trinity9058 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on breaking out of your stall :bigsmile: