Drills, dance, or both?

Options
Rororosie
Rororosie Posts: 113 Member
What do you like better? Are both equally as fun or good for weight loss?

Replies

• SilverLotusGirl
    SilverLotusGirl Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how they correlate to weight loss but I like em both.
  • lentigogirl
    lentigogirl Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    both.
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I like both! But dislike blocking!
  • LilithNoor
    LilithNoor Posts: 42
    Options
    Dancing (improv or choreo) is by far the most fun for me, but it looks so much better when you've put in the hours of drilling and conditioning before hand.

I'm off for a three hour drills and conditioning class today!
  • Rororosie
    Rororosie Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Consensus is BOTH! Both are fun. Agreed. And when i used to wear my heart rate monitor during classes drills and dance classes got me up to the same rate, but I will say stopping for a lot of talk during a class would probably make it be less helpful for weight loss but could be good for technique...

I miss class... I haven't bee able to go for a while and it is horrid. Life with Belly is 10x better than life without!!!
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Life with Belly is 10x better than life without!!!

Agree! :heart:
  • ThorneDust
    ThorneDust Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Consensus is BOTH! Both are fun. Agreed. And when i used to wear my heart rate monitor during classes drills and dance classes got me up to the same rate, but I will say stopping for a lot of talk during a class would probably make it be less helpful for weight loss but could be good for technique...

I miss class... I haven't bee able to go for a while and it is horrid. Life with Belly is 10x better than life without!!!

I had to miss classes for about 6 months. Worst 6 months of my life. I felt disconnected from my body and my weight just went crazy.
  • SusanB148
    SusanB148 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I took some belly dancing classes at the Y 4 or 5 years ago, and it was more dancing than drills. I took several weeks of classes with a dancer that just started teaching a few years ago, and it was mostly drills -- which was kind of boring. So my preference is maybe 50/50 drills and free dancing in a class so I can learn AND have fun!
  • jlc0213
    jlc0213 Posts: 3
    Options
    I think you need to do both...one is for discipline, and muscle memory...the other is to keep your spontaneity and ability to think fast on your feet.
  • missdaisy79
    missdaisy79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Over the weekend I was fortunate enough to take a workshop with Ariellah, who is a truly awe inspiring tribal belly dancer. She advised that drilling needs to be done consistently in order for it to be effective. It doesn't have to be more than about 20 minutes each day, as long as you do it regularly. It helps to have drill buddies, but it's not essential.

She also advised putting on a song that you are really into that lasts maybe 5-7 minutes and just drilling one move for that length of time. The theory is you love the song, therefore the time will fly.

I haven't had the opportunity yet to put her wisdom into action, but I plan to soon.
  • Janice2Shakira
    Options
    Hmmm, I should really put an actual "program" together for myself. I always just kind of freestyle. I imagine a good structured drill system would build those muscles better.
  • LilithNoor
    LilithNoor Posts: 42
    Options
    I'm definitely taking that advice from Ariellah.