I ran in a Zombie Run today

Options
janeensan
janeensan Posts: 66 Member
Weeeee!

Today I did a 5k Zombie Run, and it was a BLAST!!!

So, I "ran" (okay, did my fast shuffle) in the first heat in the morning. Then I got all zombied up with my makeup and went out to do a 2 hour stint as part of the zombie horde. I had more fun today getting dirty and scaring children than I've had in long, long time :)

It was an obstacle course run with zombies all along the way who were out to "infect" the runners. Each runner was given a belt that had 3 flags on it. Zombies attempted to pull their flags. The goal was to cross the finish line with at least one flag. If you lost your flags you could stop at a Medic along the way and they'd give you something to do to earn back a flag, such as 25 pushups, etc. I had to do 25 crunches at one point to get a flag..

The obstacles were a ton of fun! Of course they weren't seriously hard like a Spartan/Warrior/Tough Mudder race, but they were enough to make things challenging. Three different water courses to get through, cargo net climbs and descends, balance beams over moats, monkey bars (don't laugh--they're tough!) and a whole lot more. They did a great job with the obstacles.

I just started week 5 in Z5k. While I didn't run the whole course I could have run a lot more than I did. It was safer to run with a group of people, so as to keep zombies from getting you. I did, however, totally bite the dust two times running from zombies. Embarrassing! At least I wasn't the only one falling on my *kitten* in front of lots of people.

All I can say is, if you have any opportunity in your area to do a zombie run, get there and do it! It is SO much fun!

http://www.mudnbloodzombierun.com/

Replies

• Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I'm signed up for a 10k one in October - really looking forward to it especially as its a bit more 'fun' then Tough Mudder.
  • kindasortachewy
    kindasortachewy Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a zombie themed on in October runforyoulives.com

SO hope I am a survivor and not dinner!
  • dragon1ady
    dragon1ady Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    So, I "ran" (okay, did my fast shuffle) in the first heat in the morning. Then I got all zombied up with my makeup and went out to do a 2 hour stint as part of the zombie horde. I had more fun today getting dirty and scaring children than I've had in long, long time :)

Where do I sign up? That sounds like a blast! :laugh:

I'd love to do a zombie run like that at some point. For now I have to settle for a color run by the end of this month.
  • janeensan
    Options
    I'm doing a zombie themed on in October runforyoulives.com

SO hope I am a survivor and not dinner!

Sweet! Goodie for you! You're going to have a BLAST!
  • janeensan
    Options

Where do I sign up? That sounds like a blast! :laugh:

I'd love to do a zombie run like that at some point. For now I have to settle for a color run by the end of this month.

Dragon1ady, I can SO totally see you getting a kick out of scaring little children :):):)
  • janeensan
    Options
    I'm signed up for a 10k one in October - really looking forward to it especially as its a bit more 'fun' then Tough Mudder.

Yay! Yes, it will be more "fun" than "tough". If you're anything like me, you need to 'fun' before we can get into the 'tough' part. Next year we'll be TOUGH!
  • Flab2fitfi
    Options

Yay! Yes, it will be more "fun" than "tough". If you're anything like me, you need to 'fun' before we can get into the 'tough' part. Next year we'll be TOUGH!

lol I'm doing a Tough Mudder in October before the Zombie one - must have been crazy to sign up.
  • FakingFitness
    FakingFitness Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Super cool!

I was thinking about doing the one by me in August, but I'm really not sure I'll be ready by then.

I may still go, just to watch. It sounds like such a blast!!

http://www.runforyourlives.com/locations/
  • janeensan
    Options
    Super cool!

I was thinking about doing the one by me in August, but I'm really not sure I'll be ready by then.

Don't worry about "being ready"...you can walk the whole thing if you want to! It's all about getting outside and having fun. I think you should do it! Got any friends who'll go with you?
  • janeensan
    Options
    lol I'm doing a Tough Mudder in October before the Zombie one - must have been crazy to sign up.

I think you're AWESOME for signing up a Mudder! Stop talking about being crazy for doing it--start talking about how you're going to DO it! Because you are, one way or another, you're going to train for it, you're going to get through it with help from others, and you're going to help others, and when it's all done you're going to be SO freakin' proud of yourself you're just going to pop! and *kitten* well you should----you will have earned the right to pop with pride!

If you haven't already, start training!
  • Flab2fitfi
    Options

I think you're AWESOME for signing up a Mudder! Stop talking about being crazy for doing it--start talking about how you're going to DO it! Because you are, one way or another, you're going to train for it, you're going to get through it with help from others, and you're going to help others, and when it's all done you're going to be SO freakin' proud of yourself you're just going to pop! and *kitten* well you should----you will have earned the right to pop with pride!

If you haven't already, start training!

Definitely training for it. Been the best incentive ever. Gave up smoking the day I signed up and back into the gym. Started Zombie 5k training 2 weeks later. I'm really looking forward to doing it and giving it my best ( plus the fact it was not cheap helps) and the best bit is the weight is falling off again.
  • dragon1ady
    Options
    Dragon1ady, I can SO totally see you getting a kick out of scaring little children :):):)

Only nasty ones. :bigsmile:

I'm confused... what's tough mudder? If it sounds like fun, maybe I'll sign up for that next year. For now I'm not signing up for anything until my foot heals, but there will still be races here in the fall.
  • FakingFitness
    FakingFitness Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Super cool!

Don't worry about "being ready"...you can walk the whole thing if you want to! It's all about getting outside and having fun. I think you should do it! Got any friends who'll go with you?

I may still sign up. I didn't think about walking if I can't run it all.
    I tried to get my daughter to go, but so far she's not into the idea.

Only nasty ones. :bigsmile:

I'm confused... what's tough mudder? If it sounds like fun, maybe I'll sign up for that next year. For now I'm not signing up for anything until my foot heals, but there will still be races here in the fall.

Tough Mudder is dirty and full of obstacles:
    http://toughmudder.com/about-us/.
  • dragon1ady
    Options
    Aha! It's basically a version of the Dirty Dash. We have that here, I may sign up for that...
  • sarannakitten
    Options
    Sounds cool...my sister and I have talked about signing up to "play" zombies in the fall for one...we will see :).
  • AmyZ46
    AmyZ46 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    My Goal is to run a Zombie run after I llose 50 lbs ...cuz I can't run yet :)
  • shady81x
    shady81x Posts: 290
    Options
    w00t!!! We are gonna have our 1st ever 5k Zombie Obstacle Run in Singapore (http://www.racethedead.sg/race.php) in October & I managed to register! Only 5,000 spots available, and ½ were sold within the 1st ½hr of it’s midnight launch on 10 June (it was filled soon after). Crazy, huh? Ahhh... am so excited. Running aside, what other stuff could I be doing to “train” for it? :D

PS. Am taking part in our 1st Color Run too and the response to that was insane as well. 12,000 spots, all sold out within hours o_O
  • dragon1ady
    Options
    Practice running in zombie makeup! :bigsmile:

On a more serious note, if you are going to run an obstacle course, lifting between runs to build your upper body strength and core strength will probably help you climb over any obstacles along the way.

For the color run, put any electronics you bring with you in tightly sealed plastic bags! I used my phone to time my run, and had it in a plastic bag. Thankfully, since all my pockets were filled with color powder afterwards.
  • shady81x
    shady81x Posts: 290
    Options

NoooOOOOooo I'm supposed to be a HUMAN survivor! :sad:
    On a more serious note, if you are going to run an obstacle course, lifting between runs to build your upper body strength and core strength will probably help you climb over any obstacles along the way.

I haven’t really done lifting before – only played around with a few machines @ the gym at low intensity (it still got my arms aching the next day though), and tbh I’m quite afraid to try w/o the guidance of a personal trainer as I don’t have much strength to begin with. I’m trying to do yoga & pilates like once a week though… does that help?
    For the color run, put any electronics you bring with you in tightly sealed plastic bags! I used my phone to time my run, and had it in a plastic bag. Thankfully, since all my pockets were filled with color powder afterwards.

O_O even the pockets! Gee, I’ll make sure I’ll ziploc everything on race day. Will I need sunglasses or something for my eyes?
  • Flab2fitfi
    Options

NoooOOOOooo I'm supposed to be a HUMAN survivor! :sad:

I haven’t really done lifting before – only played around with a few machines @ the gym at low intensity (it still got my arms aching the next day though), and tbh I’m quite afraid to try w/o the guidance of a personal trainer as I don’t have much strength to begin with. I’m trying to do yoga & pilates like once a week though… does that help?

O_O even the pockets! Gee, I’ll make sure I’ll ziploc everything on race day. Will I need sunglasses or something for my eyes?

Thanks for the info - i have fine in 3 weeks so useful to know.