July 2

Options
HealthFitNow
HealthFitNow Posts: 1,205 Member
John 1 6 to 18 KJV

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=john 1:6-18&version=CEB;NCV;NLT;NIV

6 There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.
7 The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe.
8 He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light.
9 That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.
10 He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.
11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not.
12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.
14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.
15 John bare witness of him, and cried, saying, This was he of whom I spake, He that cometh after me is preferred before me: for he was before me.
16 And of his fullness have all we received, and grace for grace.
17 For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.
18 No man hath seen God at any time, the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.

OBSERVE:

Take a moment and write down three observations of the verses. What strikes you? An observation is an observable fact from the Word.

INTERPRETATION:

What do you interpret these verses to mean for you today?

APPLY

Today, I apply _____________________________________________________ because it will _________________________ me.

PRAYER:

Creator God, You are an awesome God. today the Gospel of John taught us the Word became flesh and lived among us. This meant that Jesus was indeed God. Thank you for this good news. Help me to recognize the power of Jesus in my life. May I bring you honor and glory in the success of my healthy and virtuous life. Amen

Replies

• cynthiapick
    cynthiapick Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hello Lynne
    From this passage I believe that God was the creator of all. God sent his Son to live amongst us and from God comes Grace, Truth and Mercy. I am always amazed that poeple did not know who Jesus was, but many did not want to know.
    Anything that happens comes from God, not from us. We are God's creation.
    This passage of scripture also tells me that the word, the bible is a living document and is as alive today as when it was first written.

Cynthia
  • flowergirl45
    flowergirl45 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Observations:
    1. The Apostle John tells us that the Word became flesh. Jesus, being fully God, took on flesh and he dwelt (or tabernacled) among us. Christ stepped into human history.
    2. The Jewish people had the scriptures that testified of Christ and his coming but they did not accept him.
    3. No man has seen God.

We know that God sent his son Jesus into this world to save sinners. The prophets foretold of his coming. We can trust God’s Word. It is truth. We can become Children of God if we believe in his Name and put our faith and trust in his finished work. Our own works will not save us nor can they contribute to one's salvation.

My faith is strengthened knowing that God came as a light to save sinners. Like Moses and the apostles, believers too shall one day see his glory.
  • HealthFitNow
    HealthFitNow Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Take a moment and write down three observations of the verses. What strikes you? An observation is an observable fact from the Word.

1. There was a man, named John, who bore witness to the light (we spoke of yesterday)

2. The light is the True Light and anyone who receives it becomes a child of God (v12)

3. The Word became flesh and lived among us

INTERPRETATION:

What do you interpret these verses to mean for you today?

I love these verses of John because this is how we learn that Jesus is God. Yesterday, we saw that in the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God and the Word was God. In verse 14, we learn that the Word became a living human, Jesus. Therefore we can conclude from these observations that Jesus was there at the beginning, that Jesus was with God and that Jesus was God.

These verses set up a very logical progression and bring us the knowledge that Jesus is God.

We also learn of John, the one who talks about the Light that will expose things. John is not to be confused with Jesus--the former is not the Light.

I love the section on Jesus is Light. Since Jesus is God and God is light, then Jesus is the light. Pragmatically, when we turn a light on in a dark room, suddenly everything becomes clear and it is easy to navigate. Jesus is our Light--making it easier for us to navigate through the challenges in life. And if we receive the Light, we become God's children (heirs!).

APPLY

Today, I am God's child, a member of the family, because John tells us that if we receive him we become children of God. Since I have received Jesus in my heart, I have become God's child and heir.

PRAYER:

Creator God, You are an awesome God. today the Gospel of John taught us the Word became flesh and lived among us. This meant that Jesus was indeed God. Thank you for this good news. Help me to recognize the power of Jesus in my life. May I bring you honor and glory in the success of my healthy and virtuous life. Amen
  • HealthyMamaG
    HealthyMamaG Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    OBSERVE:

1. Jesus came and died for a people that "might" believe. He did not only give to those that would give back, or love those that would only love him back. He gave his greatest sacrifice of love to those that would hate, never holding back.

2. The world did not recognize His light. Sometimes in pain and discomfort, I cannot recognize how God is working powerfully in my life.

3. vs 17. Law was given by Moses. Grace and Truth was brought by Christ. What a balance. Grace and Truth. Like a plane with two wings. Too much grace without truth...crash and burn. Too much truth without grace...crash and burn. It is truly a delicate spiritual balance that I would live my lifetime trying to achieve.

Application:
    Today I will reach out to those that I need to despite the response. I will ask God for grace and accept it. And I will listen to truth in my repentance.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I have read the passage, a few times now, here.
    I have nothing new to add to the stuff others have written.
    I have always liked the literary style used here, though. It's nice to read.