new here...just prescribed metformin...help! :-)

Options
Irishspitfire
Irishspitfire Posts: 10 Member
I was diagnosed w/ Pcos years ago, but was managing it just fine till health problems crept up and I slowly started gaining weight. Now I can't get rid of it and am insulin resistant!!! So I was prescribed metformin and am nervous about taking it. I have heard lots of people suffer from nausea...anyone out there that didn't or it was very mild?..any tips??

Thx, Heather

Replies

• WifeofPJ
    WifeofPJ Posts: 312
    Options
    I was diagnosed w/ Pcos years ago, but was managing it just fine till health problems crept up and I slowly started gaining weight. Now I can't get rid of it and am insulin resistant!!! So I was prescribed metformin and am nervous about taking it. I have heard lots of people suffer from nausea...anyone out there that didn't or it was very mild?..any tips??

Thx, Heather

I really didn't have many side affects from taking it. I do have some digestion issues but a pro-biotic helps with those. My DR had me start on half the dosage she wanted me on and then after two weeks increase it to the full dose. I think that helped me not have many of the side affects.

PS. I always take mine with food.
  • shamilton1984
    Options
    I don't know how thorough your doctor is but the first doctor to prescribe Met to me told me to start with 500mg once a day, add a second one a week later then a third until I finally reached 2000mg total per day. What she didn't tell me is that my body would hate me for it lol. I had diarrhea, nausea, dizziness and one day I vomited and said ok I'm done. Well last year I decided to try it again and this doctor told me to progress much more slowly and I feel so much better than I did the first time. I still have intestinal issues (mixed with IBS so not all Met related) but no nausea or other symptoms. Make sure you take it with food as recommended, space your doses (like if you're on 1000mg to start, take 500mg morning and 500mg night) and don't increase your dose too quickly. Hope this helps :)
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Mine was not bad at all. If I eat something very sugary (like birthday cake) I might end up in the bathroom soon after - sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.
    It's made a huge difference for me though. My hair stopped falling out right away and my cycle resumed (from not having a period at all for seven months) and I was able to get pregnant.
  • ContentedBeauty
    ContentedBeauty Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I was put on 1000 mg of the extended release formula, and the first few weeks were not fun. I felt nauseous most of the time and I also felt like I was having hot flashes. I knew that it would eventually go away and that the drug would really help me, so I stuck it out. Now I only have occasional digestive problems. Strangely enough, the two foods that I have to stay away from while on Metformin are iceberg lettuce and celery. My digestive tract rebels for the entire day after eating either one of those. Other than that, I think Metform has really helped me. I definitely don't gain weight as easily as I was before, and it has helped control the sugar cravings quite a bit.

I wish you the best in your experience!
  • Irishspitfire
    Options
    Thanks for all of the tips! I was prescribed 1500mg, no mention of starting slowly, but I am definately going to start with just 500mg. I am taking my 1st dose tonight, so we'll see how it goes.
  • Claairey1992
    Claairey1992 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    oh my goodness thank you so much for posting this thread - was literally just about to post one very similar. I started on 1000mg/day of metformin and I feel ravenous all the time, tired, diahorrea and gassy .. Can anyone tell me if this is normal? And if so will it stop? Also does anyone think I should increase my cals per day (I'm on 1200) cos I'm honestly so hungry all the time :'( kinda consider coming off them cos the tiredness and hunger is so bad! Any help would be much appreciated!!!
  • KMJ2324
    KMJ2324 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the advice to start slowly. I have been on Met for years, and, although it was a bit of a rough start, I have no problems with it now, and it really helps my symptoms.
  • Irishspitfire
    Options
    Well last night was a little rough. Within one hour I got really hot, then the nausea set in...not really bad though, then some stomach cramps and then this morning I woke up fine. I actually didn't have the brain fog as usual. Don't know if it's related. And tonight I took it again about 2 hers ago, barely any nausea, and very mild cramps. So, so far so good!

Claire, I am glad we are starting around the same time... can you lower your dose to 500 for a bit? That is the dose I started on. I am supposed to increase every 3-4 days by 500 till I reach 1500. Of course it will depend on how well I adjust. Hang in there.
  • Claairey1992
    Claairey1992 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I lowered my dosage to 500mg myself and gonna stick with that for a week before increasing back up to 1000mg. Hope it goes well for you. I still have diahorrea but hoping that'll calm down soon! I'll give you an add so we can support each other while we're getting used to it :)
  • StephanieMykytuk
    StephanieMykytuk Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just started Metformin as well and am very nervous about the side affects. I was perscribed 1500mg (3 pills per day). Dr told me to start slow too. A pill or even half to start out with. I have a very fussy stomach as well without this medication. I started half a pill at supper time I am not noticing it too bad. Next I will have a half pill at breakfast and then half pill at lunch. I think I will increase half a pill each week.

Anyone every had problems getting to sleep or achy legs from metformin?

I am taking it it hopes of getting a regular cycle and possibly getting pregnant. I have been TTC for 7 years and just last month I became pregnant but had a very early miscarriage. But it gives me hope now!
  • anu127
    anu127 Posts: 8
    Options
    i also started taking metformin from this saturday. earlier i hav took metformin SR for 2 months 500mg/day. n then left it for 2 months. now again i hav started taking jst metformin but thid time my doc prescribed me 1000mg/day and its simple metformin.
  • anu127
    Options
    yes.. i too had severe leg pain for first two days that i can't sleep whole night. :(
  • anu127
    Options
    right now i am talking 1000 mg /day for 5 days , i am having upset stomach i.e. had severe constipation and dizzyness. I am a student and have to attend 6 hrs continues lecture.. this dizzyness make me sleep during lecture cause me loss in studies and also face humiliation among my class-mate. Today, my lecturer throw me out of the class as he get irritated because of my napping during class , i can't help because how much i tried i fail and fall to sleep in class. i seriously like my subjects but due to this i am falling behind. and i can't even give my lecturer the reason for my dizzyness. if anyone had any any solution for my problem , that is how to prevent dizzyness cause due to metformin then that would be really helpful for me..
  • mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    i started in march with 500mg for a week then up to 1000 for two weeks then 1500 for two now i am at 2000 i had minimal side effects but feel it when i eat to many carbs in a meal and overeat so eat slowly to stop right when you are full and watch those carbs

forgot to add. And take it with food and make sure you have some snacks around when you go out i had some blood sugar spikes the first week
  • ep1989
    ep1989 Posts: 8
    Options
    I was prescribed 1500mg of metformin per day and I agree to start slowly. I took one tablet (500mg) a day for a week or two then slowly upped it, and I always take it with food. I've had no side effects and it helped start my cycle again. I can't say for definite that it has helped with my weight loss, but it's helping with other symptoms so I'm happy to keep taking it. Good luck :)