Anyone Conceive while they were actively losing weight?

Options
I posted this on a differet forum as well but this forum is a bit more active and has a larger number of memebers and there are a few of you who are very active who seem to be very knowledgeable.

As many of you know I have been trying to conceive for the past year. I am on my first cycle on Clomid, and I am 10 lbs away from no longer having a 2 in front of my weight. I am going to continue working to get that 10 lbs off. I was going to then try to maintain but I don't want it to take another 6 - 12 months to conceive at manatain at a weight that isnt' my goal weight, but I also don't want my weight loss efforts to cause me to not get pregnant. So it's a case that I have anxiety no matter what I do.

The DR I saw when I first started trying to conceive (before i Was diagnosed with PCOS) told me that when you are actively losing weight (Trying to lose weight as many of us our doing) your fertility goes down. I have also heard that women with PCOS are the opposite as they actively lose weight their fertility goes up. So I am woundering if anyone here was actively loosing weight and successfully conceived. I think if I knew that I wasn't hindering my fertility by being on a weightloss program my anxiety will go down. (As you many of you I'm not the most trusting of DRs and I never think of these things when I am at the Dr.)

Thanks!

Replies

• miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    <--- Got pregnant (the first time) after just starting to lose weight (had lost about 10 lbs). This time, no such luck.
  • WifeofPJ
    WifeofPJ Posts: 312
    Options
    <--- Got pregnant (the first time) after just starting to lose weight (had lost about 10 lbs). This time, no such luck.

I've lost about 55 lbs and we just got more agressive with the trying on clomid now. Just not sure if I should purposly try to slow down my weight loss. I do beleive however that the CLomid will slow it down as some people have gained on clomid.
  • VeronicaanddMatt0605
    VeronicaanddMatt0605 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    When I am losing weight my cycles are more regular I got pregnant very quickly with my 2nd child and at the time I wa actively losing weight. exercise also helps me regulate my cycles. Good luck in your weight loss and hopefully getting pg very soon. Btw I lost about 25-30lbs and saw a big difference in my fertility.
  • WifeofPJ
    Options
    Thanks! That is where I get a little worried but need to try to stop being woried because I have lost 54 lbs, think I started to ovulate but I had not reason to think I wasn't ovulating before since my periods were always regular but prety sure now that I always had Anovulatory cycles.

Thanks for your imput!
  • artelyn
    artelyn Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I got pregnant while losing weight, and then continued to lose weight the whole pregnancy. I have had 3 kids and each time I actually lost weight while pregnant. Of course I gained it back after, but that is a whole different story. The first pregnancy I was on Metformin, the other 2 I was not. Good luck.
  • WifeofPJ
    Options
    I got pregnant while losing weight, and then continued to lose weight the whole pregnancy. I have had 3 kids and each time I actually lost weight while pregnant. Of course I gained it back after, but that is a whole different story. The first pregnancy I was on Metformin, the other 2 I was not. Good luck.

Thanks that's good to know! Those are the things I like to hear!
  • LoveandGuns
    Options
    Even though I am not actively conceiving, I DID notice that my periods came back on a regular basis after I lost 25 pounds last year. I was so relieved I was absolutely giddy and I even hugged my fiance! Please try to not to worry so much, though the worry is absolutely understandable. *hugs*
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Thanks! That is where I get a little worried but need to try to stop being woried because I have lost 54 lbs, think I started to ovulate but I had not reason to think I wasn't ovulating before since my periods were always regular but prety sure now that I always had Anovulatory cycles.

Thanks for your imput!

Give your body time to normalize with the loss took about 6cycles of regular mensturation to become pregnant that was a 50lb loss sadly I lost the baby pregnant a second time after 70lb loss currently 12weeks saw the baby move today :love:

It can happen lots of prayers for a baby
  • Mommylicous
    Mommylicous Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I got pregnant with our first after I lost about 25 lbs, we weren't actively trying to conceive but we had put ourselves in risky situations many times with no resulting pregnancy, and never once even had a scare/late period.. We just thought that we couldn't get pregnant. Once I hit the 25 lb mark, it happened lol. I chalk it up to having lost enough weight that my body was starting to get back to 'normal'.

Oddly enough, I'm at an even lower weight now than I was when I got pregnant with our 1st.. We got pregnant and I miscarried at 7 weeks. Our bodies are strange things, difficult to understand :(

Good luck on trying to conceive!
  • dezbear
    dezbear Posts: 21
    Options
    I got pregnant with my son when i was doing a low carb diet and lost a good chunk of weight.
    We have been ttc for over a year and a half with no luck. Only ovulated once on 6 cycles of clomid. But less than a month into losing weight and eating little to no carbs I ovulated on my own. I am now one week away from my expected AF. So we shall see if it worked this time.
  • Quiche867
    Quiche867 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I was working out and dieting when I got pregnant. I was also on my 2nd round of Clomid. I ended up with TWINS! :) I also used Fertilityfriend.com and charted on there. I think it really helped with the timing of everything.

Just try to relax. I definitely understand how exciting, stressful, and frustrating it all can be at the same time. :flowerforyou:
  • dande2169
    dande2169 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm currently 27 weeks pregnant with child #2 (3rd pregnancy). All 3 conceptions were during weight loss ( pregnancy #2 were twins and it, unfortunately, wasn't meant to be). With this pregnancy, I was doing fitness boot camp 3 days a week, running 2 days a week and hiking 2 days a week - I had lost 27 pounds in 5 months when we conceived. The only pre pregnancy medication I have been on is Metformin for my type 2 diabetes and prenatal vitamins.

When it comes to having PCOS and how my body handles various situations in comparison to someone that doesn't have PCOS, I recognize it's probably opposite for me and so far that's exactly how it has turned out for me. For example:
    Taking care of my body by eating properly and exercising regularly seems to help me with conception, but I struggle to lose weight. When I am pregnant, I lose weight with ease like the fat is being melted off.

Early in my pregnancy, my OB approved me for the Low Glycemic Index diet (he said I am the only pregnant patient he has that he would approve for that diet because of how strict I am) and I have lost even more weight during this pregnancy than my 1st one. One rule that I have that I won't stray from (ever) is absolutely no artificial sweeteners. There are a ton of recipes out there that call for usage of artificial sweeteners and I will either avoid the recipe or use small amounts of real sugar.

I wish you all the luck in the world with conception.
  • dande2169
    dande2169 Posts: 9 Member
    Options

Thanks for your imput!

I know how difficult it is to not worry, but try to stop stressing about it.

The night we conceived our 1st child, my husband and I decided that if we really had difficulty conceiving that we wouldn't potentially waste money on IVF - we would adopt instead. Our son is 3 years old. Pregnancy #2 was not planned at all and we were pregnant with twins, but that didn't work out for us. I'm currently 27 weeks pregnant and on the day we conceived this baby we were looking up adoption procedures/requirements (I was convinced after the loss of the twins that we wouldn't be able to have more children and that our son needs to be a big brother). When we made the decision that we'd adopt, if necessary, I felt like a huge weight was lifted of my shoulders and I got pregnant that night. When we were figuring out what we need to do in order to actually adopt a child, I felt the weight lift from my shoulders again and we conceived that night. Stress plays a big role in how our bodies work or don't work - especially with PCOS. So, try not to stress as much.

*With our son, I used the ovulation test kit and it was accurate. I went with the kit that gave me the most for our money at the time - Answer brand 20 pk. I have tried the clear blue kit, but I only got error readings from them (probably user error but those are too expensive to get error readings)

I wish you all the luck in the world with conception.