Indanmeal Moths and Food

Options
xstarxdustx
xstarxdustx Posts: 591 Member
Just wondering if anyone else has had trouble with these things since incorporating grains, flax seeds, etc into their diet(s) as a result of 'healthier' eating? I've read the larvae can be in the foods upon harvesting so even if you stored the goods in glass containers (because these pests can chew threw plastic bags) you may still have the potential to have them end up in your food.
Huge turn off right now.

Any experiences/tips? Perhaps not buying in bulk and 'higher quality' packaged items (though if it's at harvesting, can't see how this would help)?

Replies

• musenchild
    musenchild Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I haven't had this problem, but my dad used to. He started keeping everything in the freezer.
  • Evachiquita
    Evachiquita Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    We have had these stupid things in our house for a year! ARG!!!! I can kinda deal with a few of them around but It's so embarrassing when people come over! We have no idea how they got in our house or how to get rid of them. We buy things at discount stores, fancy stores, farmers markets, and pick wild fruit sometimes. We have thrown away so much food and used multiple pheromone traps in trying to get rid of them. I also try to kill every adult that I see flying around. They are less now but they are definitely still there. I have found them mostly in beans and grains but they have also gotten into nuts, chocolate, popcorn, and sugary things. I have found them in mason jars and plastic bags. We have started keeping stuff in the fridge and freezer but that is ridiculous because we have to share that space with all the produce, left overs, etc. We are trying to eat down the dried goods that are open and out in the cabinets to hopefully get rid of these dumb things.
  • feffynj
    feffynj Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Had the same problem for a long time. We also believed they came from bulk bins. And they would get out of the OXXO bins and every other supposedly sealed container!

What finally got rid of them was cleaning out the kitchen during Passover--involves taking everything out of the cabinets, scrubbing them down, and either throwing away most grains or storing them out of the kitchen (we ended up throwing most away because they were infested).

Now we try to only buy what we need for the next week or so to minimize the amount of time we keep grains in the cabinet. It's been working since April.