Movie Reviews

For the Movie Critic weekly challenge, post the name of the movie, the main actor(s), a brief summary (without giving away the ending of course), and whether or not you recommend others watch it and why. This does not need to be a movie that is showing at a theater, but it should be readily available on dvd or netflix, etc. :)

Replies

• Prephred
    Prephred Posts: 140 Member
    Since I am having a tough day, I am making today my music critic day.

RED is a 2010 American action-comedy film. RED stands for Retired Extremely Dangerous. It has Bruce Willis and Morgan Freeman and several other pretty decent actors/actresses. It is hilarious in parts and tender in others. A very nice action packed film. LOL with a real plot line for a change.

I think the sequel will be out soon. Anyway, if you are down and need a pickme up, this would do it.
  • ImprovingEla
    ImprovingEla Posts: 396 Member
    I watched also a music movie today!
    AGE OF ROCK

There were some pretty well known Actors in the cast, like Tom Cruise, Catherine Zeta-Jones and Alec Baldwin!
    First of all I asked myself, how much did they pay those guys to sing???
    Second, how can one disgrace so many good Rock Sngs???
    And Third if there was a story to all this I would not know, because after the irst 5 minutes I did not take this movie serious anymore and instead just tried to laugh it of as a good joke!!!

So my resume I guess is: Do not watch it and expect anything out of it!
  • naticksdonna
    naticksdonna Posts: 192 Member
    Hey all,

Hubby and I watched "Trouble with the Curve" starring Clint Eastwood, Amy Adams and Justin Timberlake. It's the story of a baseball scout who is aging and having difficulty doing his job well. His daughter is guilted into going on a trip with him to help him if need be. I just love Clint Eastwood (I have to love actors whose characters are aging as well) and would recommend the movie on the basis of him being in it. That being said, it was not his most inspired piece. He did the best he could with the script and the story had promise but just fell short of being notable. I'm glad we saw it but I'm equally glad we didn't pay to see it!
  • dmdegrassi
    dmdegrassi Posts: 151
    I'm loving these reviews! Keep 'em coming!
  • Prephred
    Since I am having a tough day, I am making today my music critic day.

RED is a 2010 American action-comedy film. RED stands for Retired Extremely Dangerous. It has Bruce Willis and Morgan Freeman and several other pretty decent actors/actresses. It is hilarious in parts and tender in others. A very nice action packed film. LOL with a real plot line for a change.

I think the sequel will be out soon. Anyway, if you are down and need a pickme up, this would do it.

LOL I had such a bad day yesterday, I called this my MUSIC critic day not MOVIE critic day :blushing:
  • SavvyGurl0528
    SavvyGurl0528 Posts: 228 Member
    This is my "Movie Review" of the movie "X-Men Origins: Wolverine".

First, I have to classify this: I am a HUGE X-Men fan. I have seen them all, multiple times. Plus, Hugh Jackman is soooooo hot! Yes, I am a little biased.

The story is basically the early life of Wolverine. It brought in another of my favorite actors, Liev Schreiber (love/hate relationship for me, he's my favorite "bad guy") as Wolverine's half-brother Victor Creed. It also explained how he got involved with Major William Stryker and the bonding of Wolverine's skeleton with the indestructible metal adamantium during the Weapon X program.

Okay, if you are an X-Men fan, I've said enough. If you are a (drool) Hugh Jackman fan, you've GOT to see it (he is so ripped), but if you are a Patrick Stewart fan (Professor Xavier), he isn't in it, nor is Ian McKellen (Magneto). But it is a good, action packed movie!

Great! Now I am going to have to have an X-Men marathon night with my son while he is recuperating! Bring it on!
  • traynorj82
    traynorj82 Posts: 234 Member
    Twister- is a 1996 American disaster drama film starring Helen Hunt and Bill Paxton as storm chasers researching tornadoes.

This is one of my favorite movies to watch during a bad thunder storm in the summer.
  • missability
    missability Posts: 223
    Today was an emotionally draining day for me.....I needed a feel good movie....and Temple Grandin is it!!!!!

Here is the stats:

Temple Grandin
    Golden Globe(R)-winning actress Claire Danes shines in this fact-based story of an autistic woman who became an unlikely hero to America's cattle industry--and to autistic people everywhere.
    Starring: Claire Danes, Catherine O'Hara
    Directed by: Mick Jackson
    Runtime: 1 hour 49 minutes
    Release Date: 02/05/2010
    Studio: HBO
    Rating: NR

My review:

I think this is one of the best movies I have ever seen!!!! and that is saying a lot...I am a movie, and book fiend!...I don't watch a lot of TV...but I keep my Amazon prime account on fire!

For years I worked with the Autistic population as well as Aspergers, and many others in the spectrum disorders group...This is the story of Temple...raised by a loving but exhausted Mom, at a time, (1950's), when her condition was considered to be the result of unemotional or cold parenting....when she feels she has done all she can do, her mother finally sends her to a relatives farm for the summer....during this time, Temple realizes the need to be confined to bring relief to the emotional and mental images and disturbances common to the disorder....she does this by putting her self in a bull/cow pen....it seems odd to some, and heartbreaking to those who love her....but it works...eventually she begins college, no small feat for someone suffering as she does....she takes her knowledge gained from her time spent on the farm and with the cattle, and brings it to the industry. Eventually graduating with her doctorate, and is one of the Top Scientists in our country today....she has also written numerous books on her experience with autism, and travels the country to give lectures....it is my hope that one day I will meet her.....

If you do not need a fast paced, edge of the seat thriller, and are in the mood for a heart-warming, and sometimes gut wrenching true story.....I cannot recommend Temple Grandin enough!!!

I bought it on Amazon prime...I believe it is also available on Netflix, and I have seen it in stores, such as wal-mart....Enjoy!
  • mudflatmabel
    mudflatmabel Posts: 138 Member
    One of my favorite movies is: "I Love You to Death" with some of my favorite actors, including, Kevin Kline, Tracy Ullman, River Phoenix, William Hurt, Keenau Reeves, Joan Plowright, and Victoria Jackson (and many other familiar faces!). It is also based on a true story for my neck of the woods, Tacoma, Washington.
    This movie starts out with Joey (Kevin Kline) in confession, confessing as to how many women he has slept with the previous week. He gets confused as to the number of women he has been with and the number of times he has been with each one - but he seems satisfied with his final confession. He goes to work in in pizza parlor and also has an apartment building that he has to visit frequently to work on the 'plumbing' of his female tenants.
    His wife, Rosalie (Tracy Ullman) is in wedded bliss with their two young children and has no idea that he is unfaithful - that is until she catches him in the library with another woman. She is devastated and is contemplating suicide - that is until her mother (Joan Plowright) and her devise a plan to murder him for his unfaithfulness. This is when it gets good and is quirky.
    They have lots of help with people wanting to help murder him, including Rosalie and her mother, Devo (River Phoenix) who works at the pizza parlor and has a crush on Rosalie, Harlan and Marlon (William Hurt and Kenau Reeves) - a couple of drug addicts her mother hires on word of an old friend.
    I just enjoy watching this movie and watch it at least once a year. I would recommend it to anyone who wants to watch a movie that is just entertaining and likes that cast.
  • dmdegrassi
    dmdegrassi Posts: 151
    I watched a movie on TV with hubby last night. I had seen it years ago, but got caught up in it once again. It's not my typical movie choice as I usually lean towards romantic comedies. But I have seen countless action films because that is hubby's favorite.

Con Air stars Nicholas Cage, John Cusack, and a few other stars whose names I can't remember. It's about a bunch of convicts who end up on a plane, some being transferred and one, Nicholas Cage, who is on his way back to his family after a release.

Without giving too much away, the plane falls under the control of some of the convicts and the movie is about the struggle with power and the eventual bringing of justice.

I highly recommend this flick for Nicholas Cage fans, fans of action films, and it's a good one if you need to share a film with an action lover.

I'm sure it will be on TV again, I know it's out on DVD, and I'm sure it's available on Netflix.

Happy viewing!
  • futurefitgirl3
    futurefitgirl3 Posts: 13 Member
    My husband and I watched Jack the Giant Slayer yesterday. It is a spin on the children's fairytale Jack and the Beanstalk. It is great movie full of adventure. I loved the ending, which I will not ruin for anyone that is planning on watching it. It will truly make you smile :)
  • PrajnaFaux
    PrajnaFaux Posts: 45
    Last week the kids and I went to see "Monsters University" for my son's 16th birthday. It has the voices of John Goodman and Billy Crystal, and is an animated children's movie.

This movie is a prequel to "Monsters Inc." and we find out how Sully, Mike, and Randall met. I really enjoyed it, and since it's rated G it is appropriate for just about everyone. I don't usually go for "2" movies, but this one had a great plot, good characters, and was well worth it! I will definitely be buying it when it comes out on DVD.
  • ImprovingEla
    ImprovingEla Posts: 396 Member
    One of my all time "I can never get enough re -watching the end" is Dirty Dancing with Patrick Swayze!!!

Oh how I loved the movie since I was like 5 years old... back then I did not get much of the plot, but how I loved to see them dance!!!
    I still love the end scenes the best and I can watch them over and over and over again!!!!
    How Johnny storms in and just grabs her hand: "No one put my Baby in a corner!" - makes me melting all the time!!!

I am not saying it is the best movie ever, but like Grease every time the rumor comes up that Hollywood plans on a remake I pray that they leave it alone! Not because the actors were so great, but some things are just good the way that they are and this is one of them!!!
  • Super_Mama
    Super_Mama Posts: 99 Member
    Last night I watched Just Like Heaven with Reese Witherspoon. Such a cute chick flick. Throw reality out the window and embrace falling in love from a new angle. She is trapped as a "spirit" while in a coma and only the guy who rents her apartment can see and communicate with her. As they work together to help her figure out who she is and why she is separate from her body, they fall in love. Loved it :)
  • Prephred
    Ok so I couldn't decide which movie to be a critic of. This week has been such a rollor coaster that I ended up watching both of these, Ghost and Die Hard.

Ghost is a total chick flick.
    Ghost is a 1990 American romantic fantasy film starring Patrick Swayze, Demi Moore, Tony Goldwyn, and Whoopi Goldberg. It was written by Bruce Joel Rubin and directed by Jerry Zucker.[2] The film follows Sam Wheat (Swayze), a murdered man who, after becoming a ghost, teams up with a psychic (Goldberg) in an effort to avenge his death and resolve matters with his fiance.

Die Hard is a beat-em-up, shoot-em-up good guys win flick.
    Die Hard is a 1988 American action film directed by John McTiernan and written by Steve de Souza and Jeb Stuart, based on the 1979 novel Nothing Lasts Forever by Roderick Thorp. Die Hard follows off-duty New York City Police Department officer John McClane (Bruce Willis) as he takes on a group of highly organized criminals led by Hans Gruber (Alan Rickman), who perform a heist in a Los Angeles skyscraper under the guise of a terrorist attack using hostages, including McClane's wife Holly (Bonnie Bedelia), to keep the police at bay.
  • missability
    missability Posts: 223
    I did not know you could watch a movie you have already seen for this challenge...when I figured it out from others reviews I decided on Burlesque...
    This was super hard for me, as I am a Broadway shoe musical fanatic......but of all the ones I own, and I own them all! I chose this one because of one particular song in it that is sung by Cher.....it is called, "You haven't Seen The Last Of Me".....

This song is actually my top motivator tune on my MP3 for exercising....anyone who cares to here it, copy and past the link...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6l5VE1SC8I

The movie is about a small town singer (Christina Aguilera) who moves to the big city for her chance at stardom when she discovers Burlesque, a glamorous nightclub packed with dancers, sizzling musical numbers, and an owner (Cher) in need of a star.

If you love the night-life, glitz, heart pounding musical numbers, a nice love story for the back-drop,....you will love this!
  • Prephred
    Oh that was a really cool movie. I saw it quite a while ago. I will have to look it up again =)
  • traynorj82
    traynorj82 Posts: 234 Member
    Man of Steel
    Trailer - Photos - IMDb
    ‎2hr 23min‎‎ - Rated PG-13‎‎ - Action/Adventure/Scifi/Fantasy/Drama‎
    Director: Zack Snyder - Cast: Henry Cavill, Diane Lane, Amy Adams, Russell Crowe, Michael Shannon
    A young boy learns that he has extraordinary powers and is not of this Earth. As a young man, he journeys to discover where he came from and what he was sent here to do. But the hero in him must emerge if he is to save the world from annihilation and become the symbol of hope for all mankind.

My hubby and I watched this last night for our date night. I am glad the popcorn was good because in my opinion the movie sucked. the only parts I truly enjoyed were the parts where superman did not have his shirt on.
  • Pumpitusa
    Pumpitusa Posts: 169 Member
    Ironman 3 with Robert Downy Jr.
    The movie had as usual, a lot of new special effects. Putting them aside it was worth seeing once. It doesn't even come close to the first Ironman. I read that R.D,Jr is not going to do a fourth movie...good choice. I did hear that he will return to do the avengers movies, that decision requires a non sarcastic "good choice".
  • PrajnaFaux
    PrajnaFaux Posts: 45
    Last Wednesday I took six boys to see "Despicable Me 2" for my son's 10th birthday. It is rated PG for mild crude humor.

We went to our local discount theatre, and while I can say it was well worth the $3 per person I shelled out, I was very glad we hadn't paid full price to see it. Of course, being a sequel, it wasn't as good as the first one. It was enjoyable, especially the first 15 minutes or so. But after that it just lacked the cleverness the first movie had. The plot was thin and predictable. My kids loved it, but I don't think it's one I'll be buying when it comes out on DVD. A sign of the lack of memorable-ness of this movie was that on the drive home the boys talked about Minecraft the whole way and never once mentioned the movie.