New to groups

Options
Hi all. I am so tired of being fat and tired, I just want to be healthy! I have lost weight in the past on the Atkins diet but gained it all back and then some after stopping it. I know all the right things to do: eat less, exercise, drink water, get enough sleep, etc., but have had such a hard time staying motivated. I know this needs to be a lifestyle change. I joined MFP a few weeks ago and it has been a tremendous help with staying aware of how much I am eating, and I've even started drinking water (I've never been a water drinker), so I know I am on the right track. Now if I can just get motivated to move. I work out of my home and seem to spend most of the day sitting. Anyhow, I usually tend to be more of a reader with these kind of things rather than a participant, but I am hoping that by participating, it will keep me more accountable. I would love to lose around 50 pounds. Any encouragement would be greatly appreciated! :smile:

Replies

• Tooder
    Tooder Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I also just started MPF. Actually May 24th I think. I've lost 9 pounds so far realizing the first few were probably water. I also tried the Atkins diet. The problem with that one is you gain once you stop and it also no longer works for me. I am finding MFP helps me to be aware of what I am eating. With the tracker you realize that you could very easily overeat and not really understand you are doing it. I have also decided that Dunkin Donut munchkins are EVIL. LOL! 70 calories and too many fat grams per donut hole! LOL!!
  • mimisfat
    mimisfat Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Using Striiv play in conjunction with MFP has helped me tremendously. Just like being more aware of what I eat, being aware of how much I am moving has gotten me off the couch and onto the treadmill.
  • arizona2012
    arizona2012 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi all

I have just rejoined MFP and hope to be successful in loosing weight too! The older I get (now 57) the harder it is!

I have started to walk again on my treadmill which has helped me feel better as my job is mostly sedentary but I think I need to kick it up a notch.

I have three friends around my age that have recently lost weight. One went to Medi Weight loss which I have considered doing but hate taking pills! The other two took up running. They all lost between 12-17 lbs in 8 weeks.

I know it is calories in/calories out. My problem is I cannot seem loose if I eat the amount of calories MFP estimates for me (1200). It gets worse if I eat less calories (1000). I am only 5 ft tall. I currently weigh 133 lbs.

Does anyone have any advice for me?
  • Tooder
    Tooder Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I think it makes a difference on how much you need to lose. I am certainly not an expert here. I have lost 14 lbs in 6 weeks, the most lost in the first week or two. Now I am around 1.5 lbs per week. I know I will slow down the more I have lost. I started with at least 60 lbs to lose so take it from there. I track everything I put in my mouth. Well except for an occasional tic-tac at 2 calories each. I figure I can allow a few of those and not break my calorie budget! LOL
    My biggest trouble is eating on the fly. I now buy lean cuisine and healthy choice meals and keep them in the freezer for those days. I have the label to count calories etc and the mfp app in my phone. I love the scanner. You can scan EVERYTHING! Very rarely does it not come up with a food. I have even contributed one when I didn't find it.
    Don't underestimate what you eat. I was tempted one day to not put something in but knew I would be cheating myself if I didn't. I am the queen of failed diets so when I say this works believe me. As long as you track everything and get moving you will do fine. Eat your 1200 per day. If your goal weight is 120 lbs or higher you will lose weight. The less you have to lose, you will lose slower because your maintenance runs around 10 calories per pound of body weight so your deficit will be less the lower you go on the scale. There is 3500 calories in each pound so for example if your deficit is 300 per day it will take 12-13 days to lose a pound. You can also create a higher deficit with exercise and lose a bit faster. Good Luck!
  • arizona2012
    arizona2012 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this great advice!

I had not thought about the weight loss deficit. I have and will continue to track everything I put into my mouth and perhaps "making visible that which isn't" (all the items I have ate today), it will help me make better choices.

Hope you have a Happy 4th!
  • debloveswine
    debloveswine Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm having trouble also. Seem to cut my calories to the 1200 (most days) and I've only lost about 3 pounds in 1 month. I know I need to exercise more but even when I do it doesn't seem to help. I'll take any suggestions that anyone has. Help!
  • saxy2014
    Options
    If you are having trouble losing weight, consider this - when was the last time you had a physical with fasting blood work. Last year my doc put me on blood pressure meds. At first I was reluctant, but after my high blood pressure was controlled, I started to lose weight. This year, I have a high cholesterol problem, so I have 3 more months to try and get that down to normal levels. At first I was upset about this, but once I was honest with myself I realized there were some things I was eating that I should not have been eating and I could have exercised a lot more. Hope this helps. Things creep up as we get older, like high blood pressure and high cholesterol.