Best Shakes/Protein Suppliments for pre/post diet

Options
:drinker: Well since we are all on the pre or post diet, I thought maybe we could discuss some of the shakes/ supplements we are trying. Maybe even discuss vitamins?

I've been adding protein to my water as well. .Elite Liquid Protein (25 grams) or the New Whey Liquid Protein (I only use half a day but it has 42 grams). I've been adding them to my bit water cup, and then adding a little Crystal Light or those Mio type flavorings (I usually get the Walmart brand) and honestly it doesn't taste bad at all! Just like drinking Gatorade or Crystal Light. They don't have sugar or carbs but they do have 80 calories so as I said I've just been slipping it into my water once a day.

As for shakes, I've tried so far:

GNC Total Lean Shake 25 in Vanilla (pretty good!) and Strawberry (also not bad!) and Orange Dream (OMG WAY too sweet. 2 scoops is the serving size so next time I may just do one scoop of Orange and one scoop of Vanilla and see how it goes.) I just mixed with water, or tried the ready made kind (Vanilla)

Costco's Premier Protein in Vanilla. These are pre made. Not bad. It's better VERY cold. Kinda chalky, but again, it's not bad.

GNC Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60 in Chocolate. This is pricey HOWEVER, the serving size is 3 scoops but it's 60 grams of protein. So if you get 6oz of water and add 1 scoop, this goes a long way so in the long run, it's cheaper than most for the protein content. I personally don't like it with just water so I added a tablespoon of powdered milk with it.

Same with the SUPER ADVANCED WHEY PROTEIN in Peanut Butter/Chocolate. I had to add a tablespoon of powdered milk to it when I just mixed it with water. You can get this at Walmart for like $16.

That's what I've tried so far. I also wanted to mention that GNC will refund your money if you do not like any product as long as you have the receipt. So if you absolutely hate the Orange Dream, you can return it and either swap it out for another flavor, or get your money back. They also have a Gold membership club where you get huge discounts every day now, not once a month like it used to be.

I'd love to hear what you have tried!

Oh! Also, http://www.mealreplacementshakereviews.com/ is a pretty good resource for meal replacement shakes (not protein shakes). :)

Replies

• HRHCaragh
    HRHCaragh Posts: 39
    Options
    PS. I guess I should have re checked my spelling. Sorry for the spelling of Supplements!
  • gwen6971
    gwen6971 Posts: 49
    Options
    The only one I have tried so far is GNC's unflavored. I find it gross. Nothing seems to mask the protein taste.
  • kevm1967
    kevm1967 Posts: 17
    Options
    I use Optislim but think its only available in Aus, NZ and UK.
  • HRHCaragh
    Options
    I tried Pure Protein in mint chocolate chip today, and it was horrible! I couldn't drink but half! It tasted like pepto bismal and water! That is too bad about the Unflavored kind... Those Whey shots(like watermelon or fruit punch) from gnc are pretty good if you toss them in some water
  • gwen6971
    gwen6971 Posts: 49
    Options
    I tried Pure Protein in mint chocolate chip today, and it was horrible! I couldn't drink but half! It tasted like pepto bismal and water! That is too bad about the Unflavored kind... Those Whey shots(like watermelon or fruit punch) from gnc are pretty good if you toss them in some water

I just ordered 3 individual tubes to sample...............grape, watermelon, and fruit punch. I figured after surgery I could add to my water to up my protein.
  • HRHCaragh
    Options
    I have a big 16 oz glass i fill with water. I just dump a half of the tube in, and add some crystal light powder or some mio drops or something, and drink it .. when its gone.. i do the same thing with the rest of the tube. I can't taste the protein that way at all. :)
  • HRHCaragh
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003FKJLPM/ref=s9_simh_gw_p121_d0_i3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0F8C8M4G9FBAPZTK8K0B&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846

or

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0030FW00A/ref=s9_simh_gw_p121_d0_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0F8C8M4G9FBAPZTK8K0B&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846

are the little protein shots I am talking about. The Dymatize ones you can just toss the whole thing in a water bottle. The new Whey I split in half . Yesterday I drank the entire thing in a glass of water and the after taste was just too much so I just split them up. :)
  • mynewyou
    mynewyou Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have tried several protein suppliments but the only one I truly like is Unjury. You can buy it on line. I bought the choc and strawberry. Mixed with 8oz of fat free milk it tastes like chocolate or strawberry nesquick. I put it in a blender to make it smooth.
  • HRHCaragh
    Options
    Thank you! I'm going to find this Unjury today! I'm having a hard time keeping shakes down :(
  • nickdemarco
    nickdemarco Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    (Almost) every morning since my surgery (Nov. 2011), I've had a Premier Protein chocolate shake, blended almost always with a teaspoon of peanut butter and occasionally bananas, blueberries, strawberries, and/or almond extract, and ice. Here are the numbers for the prepackaged shake itself: 160 calories, 30g protein(!), 3g fat, 1 g sugar. Tastes like a chocolate malted, but with the peanut butter, reminds me of a liquid Reeses. Stays with me for a long time in the mornings, and you can't beat 30 grams per 160 calories. The prepackaged 11 ounce packages are sold 18 boxes for about $25 at CostCo (I understand that Sams Club has them too, but don't know if you can find them outside the bulk stores). That's about $1.33 for a tasty shake. I tried the vanilla, and although I usually like the taste of vanilla, I didn't care for it, BUT, your mileage may vary. Company is Premier Nutrition, premiernutrition.com. Enjoy!
  • nickdemarco
    nickdemarco Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    If you're having a hard time with shakes, check out Ostrim high protein sticks. Think healthy SlimJims. I won't get into details on how they make them, but they're 96% fat free. Here are the numbers for a Natural Flavor stick: 80 calories, 14 g protein, 1.5 g fat, 2 g carbs. They make several flavors. They're upwards of $2 each a la carte at places like The Vitamin Shoppe, but you can get them 10 to a pack for about $17 there. Looks like the company is Protos, Inc.
  • HRHCaragh
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions! I will try these today!
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,706 Member
    Options
    I'm allergic to dairy; and all the suggestions were whey/(dairy)-based. So I called GNC and a nice fellow found seven egg/(albumin) and soy-based protein shakes. I ordered one of each and also bought a soy powder at the local health food store. Didn't like any of the soy drinks (especially unflavored), but some egg-bases were good.

My favorite is "Rich Chocolate Gold Standard 100% Egg" by Optimum Nutrition 120Cal 1gFat 4gCarb 24gProtein - that has become my staple. I also got more Jay Robb "Egg White Protein Vanilla" 120Cal 0Fat 4gCarb 24gProtein. The vanilla is okay; but the chocolate is great.

Some post-op bariatric patients develop lactose intolerance. If you're not processing the whey powders well, the egg/albumin or soy shakes might help.

If you do try non-dairy, there are a lot of alternative products. I substitute Almond Breeze original unsweetened almond milk instead of cow's milk; but there are lots of other nut milks and soy milks options. And some good imitation cream cheeses and sour creams are made from tofu (for example Tofuti). And ice creams - lemon rice milk is yummy.
  • Charmingirl
    Options
    HI All, I'm doing my pre surgery diet now. So I'm new to the shakes & protein bars. I have tried a few that were ughhh "hard to swallow". I finally found one that I like. It's Syntrax Matrix.
  • sastexan4u
    sastexan4u Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have try some many Protein and taking back to store so this is my protein I take in a day.Dymatize Elite isolate 24g Gourment vanilla
    mix with rice or almond milk or water and add some fruit and ice blend get online or health food store about $25.00 or online. For on the go or snack pure protein protein bars 20g I love chocolate peanut butter..I get it a Walmart and CVS pharmacy Vanilla 26g about $19.00
    I love Syntrax Nectar great flavors 23g with with water and pour over ice put in big mug and I sip on it all day love crystal sky and road house ice tea it's a nice refreshing fruit juice flavor it's about $40.00 get online or health food store's they do have sample you can try..
    I have found GNC is $ to high for me...I like my protein bars cold I don't know why maybe it's so hot ...