How do I stop the weight piling on...

Options
ljma84
ljma84 Posts: 12 Member
Hi Guys,

I've been on this site a year and a half, I had lost 42 lbs but in January I was diagnosed with type 1 (I'm 28). Since then I've put on 16 lbs.

How do I get myself back on track and stop throwing away all my hard work, any tips? I'm really not taking the diagnosis well, quite a lot of comfort eating and sad days :cry:

Replies

• k_winder
    k_winder Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately some of the weight you lost earlier was not due to TRYING to lose weight, but due to your body beginning its process of not producing insulin and thus you not being able to properly use carbohydrates. Many people lose a lot of weight before diagnosis. (I was 6 when diagnosed and lost 10 lbs.......for a 6 year old that's quite significant!)

The gain of 16lbs is your body getting used to being able to properly use carbohydrates again.

Your body is in a stage where it probably doesn't even know where its 'equilibrium' is.

One thing some Type 1s have found is that by eating lower carb and thus using less insulin, they are more successful. This is because insulin has an anabolic effect and so using insulin can lead to added weight. If you want to cut out some insulin each day you have to be very careful though to still use what you need for what you eat (don't deprive yourself of insulin just to lose weight). For example, with my ratios, if I cut down my carbohydrate intake by only 54g/day, I cut out 6 units of insulin, which is about 12.5% of my daily insulin. Over time this lowering of my insulin needs can help me to lose weight. Granted, I don't lose as fast as non-diabetics, but I find its the key factor for me. Everyone is different though. Some people use very low-carb diets, others don't. (I don't - I still consume about 120-150g of carbs a day).

As a person with Type 1 you should be able to talk to a dietician who is trained to work with diabetics - they may be able to give you some other suggestions.
  • Sweetie1429
    Sweetie1429 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    First I agree with k_ winder that some of the weight you lost earlier was because your pancreas quit on you. I was diagnosed when I was 13 years old ( my first year of high school) I lost 16 lbs in 3 months. I lost 15 % of my body weight in a very short time. It was very sudden. When my bg was gradually coming to more normal I gained almost all of it back. Then a few years later I gained 10 lbs in college that was ok to me because I was not overweight at that point. My a1c during my teens and early 20s was always between 6.5-8.5. most of the time 7-7.5%. not bad control but not good either. I moved to pump when i was 23 and ever since then my a1c has always been below 7. But I started gaining weight after that and I blame it on insulin therapy.

Second k_ winder is again right that our bodies when we are first diagnosed are not in equilibrium so the first advise that I received from doctors is to get sugars under control and I'm sure your doctor said the same thing. Are you on pump or shots? If not on pump you should ask your doc about pump. From my experience its the best way to get back on track.

Third coming back to your question how do you stop piling weight and throwing away all your hard work? According to me your are not throwing away your hard work. In fact you are working hard and in right direction to get your health back in balance.

Things that have helped me in past.
    1. Seeing a nurse educator for learning how to adjust your insulin dosage. I have diabetes for 16- 17 years now and I still find it helpful to see my nurse educator. My doc is great but can't spend more time with me. Set reasonable goals with her/ him. One thing that ever one will tell you is to cut back on carbs so you use less bolus insulin to cover your meals and that will help you lose weight that is so true. Also maintaining bolus to basal ratio 50-50.

2. Avoiding lows. This is big one. You must have experienced extreme hunger after you get low. If you get low follow your doc instructions they usually give it to you in written how to treat low. Generally take x amount of glucose if your bg is y. I find glucose tables and OJ very effective. Once the sugar is back up to normal you still feel extreme hungry and that the point when I feel like binging like most of t1 diabetics do. I have been there and I have done it but not anymore. After the bg is back to normal I generally fix my self a nice protein shake or egg and cheese. Figure out your fav protein snack that will fill you up. It's is extremely difficult to control hunger at point nut not impossible.

3. I strongly believe that my personal attitude and state of mind plays a huge role in my diabetes management and therefore I don't hesitate to see a good psychologist who has experience with type 1 diabetes. I have had 3 therapist in past and 2 of them very good.

4. Pick your doc/nurses/dietician/therapist. Look at there reviews online. Feel free to change them if you feel they are not encouraging you enough. Encouragement and support from doc and family is what keeps me going on those frustrated days.

Best wishes,
    Niti
  • ljma84
    ljma84 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you both so, so much for putting all that effort into your replies.

Logically I know you're right about some of the gain being from the time before diagnosis. But eugh, it's so hard to see the scale go up and my body change. I'd reached my goal, I need to get my head round it somehow.

I'm in the UK, so we have the NHS which as good as it is can be very hit and miss. I'm trying to get to see a psychologist but they won't have experience with type 1, I've asked the diabetes team and they don't offer any psychological support. At the moment there's lots of waiting and no support beyond the basics because the centre in my area is geared to type 2 and you don't get to pick and choose.

The bolus to basal ratio 50-50 tip is brilliant, I've just looked at my notes and the days that I've managed that have been really good days.
    I'm taking shots, I keep reading all these great comments about pumps but what is it that makes it so much better? As far as I can tell you are doing the same thing - working out doses and taking them but you have something stuck to you all day. What am I missing?

My control is hit and miss, I keep getting caught out with hypos and they freak me out. I find I'm restricting myself just in case, so I'm making a conscious effort to push myself a bit more. And yes! When it happens I feel like I could eat a house! That hunger is powerful, I'll have a think about what kind of protein based snack I could have with me.
    I've also had massive nasty highs from overeating which are horrible and even though I know they are dangerous in the long term sometimes my head just isn't in the right place. Which is another reason why I should see I psychologist, I hope they find me one soon.

Thanks again for your replies, lots to think about there.
  • EchoDelta1013
    EchoDelta1013 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Do you keep a food diary on MFP? What's your daily carb intake? Which foods are you getting your carbs from?