new to the group

Options
hi new to the group but not new to back pain. i am 27 been told i have a bulging disk at L4L5 and spinal stenosis, and a "small" cyst on L4 vertebrata. been dealing with pain in my lower back since i was 16 but was almost 400lbs at the time so the doc said it was all related to my weight. lost weight and still had pain. than i was told i was too young to be having back pain. just within the past year and a half i had an mri that showed what was going on but the doctor said it was all minor thing that would not cause the pain i was reporting, so she sent me to pain management doctor. have done physical therapy and have had steroid injections, never blocks, radio frequency ablation and pain pills. pt made the pain worse, the injections didn't help/ made things worse and the pain pills just make me loop so i don't care that i hurt. so i am kind of at a lose of what to do now. i do yoga when i can. i feel like no one believes what i say.

lol sorry for a kind of ranting. just looking for ppl who understand and any suggestions on what to do would be helpful.

Replies

• viragoeap
    viragoeap Posts: 107
    Options
    Hi and I'm sorry I didn't see your post earlier. I too have back issues in the areas you mentioned. Mine is pretty stable at the moment thanks to a great Oesteopath I see once a quarter. The one thing that has stuck in my mind since I've been seeing him (3 years) is this quote: 'Mobility is your friend'! I've therefore been doing pilates everyday and it's now become part of my lifestyle. I also have a desk job so I make sure that I get out of the chair at least every 30 minutesI walk regularly and also run, but I have to be careful with the running as that can also had the adverse effect and bring on sciatica.

I congratulate you on your weight loss and wish you all the best!
  • ksmom4
    ksmom4 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am sorry to hear about your pain. I have been there, done that...most everything except the radio frequency ablation. I do have a TENS unit which I use but, eventually I am maxed on power with that and the pain returns.

Have you thought about a second opinion--sometimes it a good idea to get a new set of eyes on what is going on and that they may have a suggestion to help. What about aquatic therapy...like you PT was terrible for me...doing it in the pool was nicer--not to mention sitting in a hot tub felt great--I love having heat on my back for the most part.

As I said, I have done just about all you have and even major surgery--which I ended up with complications and it has not helped me. I know I am a bit older than you but, I have learned that I need to know my limits and watch them. I am learning how to ask for help and not to push it. I know that I will be on pills for the rest of my life and we have found a good mix when helps keep the pain under control for the most part. Small amounts of walking and moving about help some--too much though and I am in bed crying though.

I have also learned that I can tell when a storm is coming or when there is going to be some major weather changes (like drastic barometric changes)!--no need to check the weather channel for me anymore :wink:

I wish I could give you the magic recipe as to what to do to make pain go away forever but, I am still searching for it as well.
  • hippiebutterfly
    Options
    thank you both.

ksmom4- i have thought about a second opinion just not sure how to go about it bc of insurance coverage ( i have medicare and medicaid) and also i live in a small town so not many options for doctors. plus i am a little worried about doing it bc with my pain doctor now when i first started i was accused of drug seeking and so now i worry about speaking about how much pain i am in. i have had good luck with the nerve pain meds like lyrica but it messes with my depression and anxiety too much for me to continue taking it.
    i would love to do aquatic therapy but the close place is 1.5 hours away and my insurance doesn't cover it. and i cant afford to pay for it out of pocket.

i too can tell when a storm is coming. wake up in the morning and if i can barley turn over, than yup a storm is coming.

now i am having hip pain, which i read could be from the steroid injections. i have an appointment with my medical doctor soon so i am just going to lay out what is all going on she see what she says.
  • rmg8tc
    rmg8tc Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi--so sorry to hear about your ordeal. I, too, have to cope with chronic back pain, and I've tried everything that you named. I'm in my late 40's, and I injured my back almost 25 years ago. I have osteoarthritis, bone spurs, mild scoliosis, a bulging disc at L5/S1, and a pinched nerve at L4/5t that causes sciatica. Here's how I manage the pain:

I sleep on my left side, and I stretch gently every morning, before I get out of bed. Lying on my back, I pull my bent knees, and then one straightened leg, to my chest.

I try not to sit for more than an hour, especially at my desk at work. I stand for 5-10 minutes, or until I feel my back pain lessen.

I swim at least once a week. If I'm in the middle of a flare, then I'll simply walk the length of the pool for as long as possible. I also walk in general as much as I can, but I have issues with both knees that often interfere with my mobility. Sometimes I can only go for 10 minutes, but my doctor said that's a start.

I get regular massages to loosen tight muscles and occasional traction/chiropractic adjustments to lengthen and align my spine. I also use ice packs regularly (never heat) to get rid of inflammation.

I wear low-heeled, comfortable shoes regularly. I only wear heels higher than 2 inches on special occasions, and even then, for only a few hours.

Lastly, I only take narcotics (Norco, Percocet, Dilaudid) when I cannot stand the pain at all (8 out of 10). If my back is just sore, or mildly-moderately painful, I'll take Tylenol arthritis pills or a half a Flexeril/Baclofen (muscle relaxer). I avoid the strong stuff whenever possible, because I abused them a few years ago when my back and knees were flared up. I found that the pills made me think my pain was worse than it was. Many times, an ice pack did the trick.

I hope this isn't too long!..I hope some of this helps!
  • hippiebutterfly
    Options
    thanks rmg8tc i sleep on left side or right depending which hip is less painful with a round pillow between my knees. i am doing yoga 3 days a week with a small group all of us have back issues. i try to walk too but i also have knee issues too, never thought about walking in the pool though. i too will not take narcotics unless i cant stand the pain either. i hate the way they make my head feel, plus than the next day i feel so weird. so i just take Tylenol and my regular doctor suggested taking fish oil and b12 everyday and that has cut down on the flare ups.

i got a referral to a new pain management doctor which i will be seeing in a few days. going tomorrow to get a new mri done so she has an up to date one.