Watch where you're walking!

Options
Okapi42
Okapi42 Posts: 495 Member
Jackson's hooves were quite overgrown (his owner always leaves it too long to get the farrier) but now they're neatly trimmed and re-shod, and he *still* trips on everything. During today's hack, he must have stumbled a dozen times.

I think it's because he daydreams and literally forgets to look where he puts his feet. He's also often spooked by things because he didn't notice them until we're right up beside them.

I've been trying to get his attention by adding in more half-halts and little tasks like leg yielding. But ideally, I'd like to be able to let him stretch on a long rein in a walk, especially uphill!

I've been working on it using trotting poles in the arena, but he simply trips over those as well. And it's not like he has trouble picking up his feet, he's jumped metre-plus all-clears...

Any ideas?

Replies

• galvestongal
    galvestongal Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    BUMP because Cinco does the same thing...although I think his is just pure laziness!
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Check his vision. My horse's paddock- mate is blind in one eye--doesn't like to turn sharply to that direction. Another older horse at our barn was already blind in one eye (had been since a young horse), and started losing vision in the other--one of his symptoms was sudden spooking because he didn't see something until it was RIGHT THERE.

Also, watch what he does with his feet when you lunge--does he drag his toes? Sometimes it's laziness, but could indicate a conformation or strength issue.
  • Okapi42
    Okapi42 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, that's a good point. His vision seems to be ok, but you never know.

I suspect it is laziness, he does eventually get the poles. And he doesn't trip in canter. He likes canter.
  • suzetteducrepe
    suzetteducrepe Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My other horse, Oreo, is Mr. Trip and Stumble on the trail. He is distracted by everything, all the time. And he is extremely lazy.

When my ex was around and used to ride Oreo, he used to tell him "rocks Oreo, rocks" every time we'd get to a rocky patch or something under foot that he should pay attention to. I made fun of my ex and told him it would never work, but of course that dumb horse figured it out and it totally works. I pony Oreo around a lot now, and I can tell him "rocks" and he will lower his head and look, every time. I almost hate that it works, but I certainly use it. He sometimes falls in line behind Nugget and just kind of dead heads along with his nose in Nugget's tail, and he really can't see what's coming up. I feel like since he has a command to look, it's nice to be able to give him fair warning.

It doesn't make him look all the time though, and does little to relieve the trip and stumble of the "non-rocks" part of the trail, and I have no advice on that at all! I don't know if I could take the time to teach it myself, and I still think it's a little bit ridiculous. But then, I ride Nugget, who just knows to look and doesn't need to be told to be careful... :laugh:
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    My horse drags his feet too. I read an article from a dressage trainer that suggested alternating 2 poles on the ground, one raised slightly (a few inches), 1 pole down, 2 poles up, and so on. Mix it up basically. Work them at a walk, trot, canter, etc. This is supposed to help them pick up their feet, work more off the rear, and pay better attention to where their feet are being placed. I have been doing this once or twice a week and it seems to be helping. He also stumbles and trips a lot when his feet are long.
  • Kathee1956
    Kathee1956 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi I have a tenn. walker that I have had since he was 2 is now almost 12 and has always been a very sweet, gentle, loving, KLUTZ. I talk to him all the time on trails like he is a toddler, explaining the trees, animals etc..... I guess some people may think it odd, but I wouldnt trade him for the world. :laugh:
  • BellehavenfarmDawn
    BellehavenfarmDawn Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    What do,his frogs look like? Is the center, the central sulcus, a thumb print or can you put you pick down a crevass? If you poke around does he flinch, check deep on both sides of the frog, the collateral grooves?

Horses trip because their toes are too long and/or because they can not land on the back of their foot because it hurts. In the latter they must land toes first,damaging the coffin bone, then the navicular bone, then inflaming the deep flexor. It is very common and easily rehabilitated by trimmer. Most farriers shoe, the add pads, then wedge, then have the nerve cut or put the horse down.

I ride with a women who has the later problem and even though I told her how we could fix her horse, I am a trimmer, she doesn't seem interested. Sadly, by ignoring the problem the horse will only get worse. he keeps saying the horse is clumsy. I,offered to sore her ...the owners heels...to see how it felt!

for what it's worth, most trimmers are glad to teach you to trim. it is not hard at all! I love tending my own horse.

dawn
  • BellehavenfarmDawn
    BellehavenfarmDawn Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    ABOVE is for OK and Jackson.Sorry I forgot to quote!