Just moved here

Options
blinkblink16
blinkblink16 Posts: 12 Member
Hi, folks!
I just got to ABQ about a month ago and I have a couple questions:

How safe are the trails in the foothills/Sandias? Is it the type of thing a young woman could do alone?
What about the bike paths?

Thanks!

Replies

• jstewart405
    Options
    Hey!

Welcome to ABQ!

Personally, I wouldn't recommend going alone. It would definitely be safer to take a buddy with you. :)

~Jenn
  • blinkblink16
    Options
    Hi Jenn,
    Thanks for the advice! I'm looking for hiking buddies...Are there any places you recommend for good hiking (for the out-of-shape and non-altitude adjusted folks like myself)?
  • 07JKGirl
    07JKGirl Posts: 45
    Options
    Elena Gallegos area has some nice trails that don't require you to climb to the top of the mountain. Also, I would never recommend hiking the foothills alone. We do have wild animals living up there that have been know to attack a human on rare occasions. The trails along the river are more suitable for venturing out alone, but I still take my dog at least.
  • torysresort
    torysresort Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I like the foothills.The bosque is nice too,and usually cooler (temp-wise). In fact I'm looking for others to join me in hiking once in awhile. As far as hiking anywhere alone.... best to have a buddy, wherever you choose to hike there is always the risk of snakes, coyotes, or the occasional bum. Even the bosque has reported recent over-confident coyotes. My favorite though is to get out of the city and go to the gila or the mountains up north when I can find a free weekend.
  • blinkblink16
    Options
    I like the foothills.The bosque is nice too,and usually cooler (temp-wise). In fact I'm looking for others to join me in hiking once in awhile. As far as hiking anywhere alone.... best to have a buddy, wherever you choose to hike there is always the risk of snakes, coyotes, or the occasional bum. Even the bosque has reported recent over-confident coyotes. My favorite though is to get out of the city and go to the gila or the mountains up north when I can find a free weekend.

Yeah, I'd love to get a group of MFP folks together for hiking! Anyone else interested?
  • Cerebrus189
    Cerebrus189 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I believe there is a meetup group specifically for hiking in the 505 area. I'm not much of a hiker myself but maybe in the fall it'll be a different story. I know a few hikers already, so I'm open to it.

Nice to meet you,
    Yvette
  • jstewart405
    Options
    I would LOVE to go hiking. I miss it SOOO much. I just have to go slow and cover up. I'm not supposed to be doing anything that raises my heart rate (Lyme disease). :( And I have to cover up, as I can't be out in the sun (antibiotics).

Kind of defeats the purpose of hiking. LOL but I suppose that's why I play Minecraft. :P I get to virtually hike. XD
  • mallisaunders
    Options
    I might be up fro some hiking. I used to go a lot but haven't been in a while. As for safety, I have gone by myself to some locations without problem. I usually take my dog though. The bosque also has some nice trails and is generally cooler (also lower in elevation) but there is an increase in mosquitos in the summer.