Hungry all the time !!

Options
ashb1216
ashb1216 Posts: 45 Member
So, I am HUNGRY all the time !!! I am exclusively pumping and I am ALWAYS HUNGRY !!! About a month ago, this uncontrollable hungry has set in. It seems as if I am never satisfied. I don't know what to do !! At first, I was eating whenever I was hungry, but I wasn't losing any of the baby weight, but rather GAINING weight. Is anyone else experiencing this and what do you do???

Replies

• crissygm
    crissygm Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I was like this too for a while when my son was smaller. I'm feeling it again lately and he is now 2 and only nurses a couple times a day! For me, I eat when I need to and then I focus on making sure I keep up with exercise to balance it out. I have read that breastfeeding burns an extra 300-500 calories a day. I believe this is true, because I've had my RMR tested and it came back very high. Make sure you're getting enough calories and just try to stick to healthy foods, especially lots of protein.
  • scottleigh
    scottleigh Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi, its nice to hear you also feel hungry all the time. I had my baby boy Archie in january and i am exclusively breast feeding also. Since having him i have gained weight also. Since joining this site it has really encouraged me. I have already lost 10lb. When i feel hungry i now reach for grapes, satsumas, pears, bananas etc instead of cakes. My midwife told me to drink full fat milk and mars bars when i first had Archie but i regret this, i find my milk supply is better and more healthy now i eating better. Hope this helps. Any time you need a chat i am here. All the best x Julie x
  • ks4e
    ks4e Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I went through the same thing for the first 3 months. My baby was a snacker (she would nurse every half hour for 15 minutes). I found that eating healthy, fatty foods really helped. For example, reaching for an avocado and some fruits would fill me up. I had to eliminate dairy, so my options were either fish (good source of DHA) with veggies or an avocado. I also drink a TON of water daily, even though my DD is almost 6 months and nursing less.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    My son is 2 weeks old today, and I want to eat all the time! (We are EBFing.) I started logging yesterday at 1900 cals/day (net 1400 when I deduct 500 for BFing). It's typically about 20 calories/oz burned but I am calling it 500 total because he is not eating anything else, and my dad (a pediatrician) estimates he eats 20-25 oz/day.

Protein- and fat-heavy foods are good (not fast food but healthy fats). I eat a lot of 2% Greek yogurt - much tastier than 0% - and have been drinking Premier Protein shakes, which are sold at Costco (160 cals and 30g of protein).

I'm hoping this helps me lose all this weight because I gained waaaaay too much (again)! Last time I lost 82 lbs in a year. I need to lose most of that again and am hoping to do it a little sooner than that with BFing hopefully helping and not forcing me to hold onto weight. I don't want to have to make the choice between BFing and being fat or weaning and losing weight. Formula is too damn expensive for that, but I also hate feeling like a cow, which I know is totally selfish!
  • mrsomeara
    mrsomeara Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I could have written this post myself! I am more hungry now then I ever was while pregnant. Soon after having the baby my weight started to drop (I think a lot of it was water weight) but quickly things changed and I started to gain weight. I feel like my "magic number" is 1800-2000 calories but nothing higher if I want to lose lbs. Unfortunately that means I am usually going to bed pretty hungry.
  • MermaidMY
    MermaidMY Posts: 8
    Options
    I was told if you are starving, first drink a glass of water and wait 10 minutes. If you are still starving, eat something high in protein and wait 10 minutes. Still starving, then eat what you are craving. It has worked wonders for me. I found I was not drinking nearly enough water. Now that I have upped my fluid intake, I am not starving ALL THE TIME. I still have my moments. But the scale stopped going up.
  • ashb1216
    ashb1216 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!!!!! The hunger is still there but not as bad!!!! My diet had to be switches greatly