new here...to diabetes and this lifestyle

Options
Hi guys

I am new around here, have been diagnosed with Diabetes 2 about 9 days ago and have my bg all over the place between 140 when I do HARD sports to 390 after breakfast.

The diet the doctors gave me are a bit of a joke, because loads of things are measured in cups...

Brothers and sisters out there. That measure is a massive problem. Stuff should be measured in scientific measures, may it be ounces or grams. Would you trust your Doc, if he would tell you you he needs to remove a tumor in you with a size of a cup? Even if that measure has a 20-30% +/- ????

I have a hard time finding good lists for the calculations, but I am getting there.

As an Ex-Chef, I do love my food and love good food. And yes, I overeat. It takes time to get that habbit changed.
One is used to that for 40+ years, you dont change that from one day to the other.

About my medication, I take 500 mg of Metformin 500mg ER once per night. The effect is very limited if at all measurable yet.
But I am only 8 days in.

I am reacting somewhat odd to my food intake. For example, half a cup (see what stupid measure that is?) with half a cup of 1% Milk and half a Banana and a small 1/4 apple *all this measures make no sense, plus an espresso with a spoon of coco sugar drives me after breakfast up to 390+. Tough my dietitian said it shouldnt.....

My lunch and dinner numbers are better tough, even if they are far from good.

My morning fasting BG is around 200, which is far to high, I am aware of that.

So, now I gave you all I know....

Have a good low BG day

Karsten

p.s.: yes Karsten is a middle European male middle name, Kerstin, Kirsten, Kristen are gals....

Replies

• dbacksfan46
    Options
    Well I just got the news 2 days ago my doctor put me on a 2000 caloire diet for now...if any of you can help out I would apprieate it I'm a CDL driver and need to get it under control my A1C was 9.5 and glucose was 135 whatever those mean
  • sshimeall
    sshimeall Posts: 16
    Options
    Greetings gentlemen -

I was diagnosed in February, with an A1C of 9.9, and fasting BG of 280. At the time I weighed 340 lbs. I don't know about you, but the Dr did not tell me much in that first appointment other than my A1c was dangerously high, and to set up an appointment with a dietitian. I will say up front that I have done some reading since then to try to make sense of things, and I recommend highly that you have a talk with someone who has CDE (as in Certified Diabetes Educator after their name).

I still consider myself a newbie, and like dbacksfan46, I travel for a living. Not a trucker, but I spend 50-70% of my time on the road eating at restaurants, with an extremely high-stress job. Not a good thing for a diabetic, but it is 30 years too late to change things now...

The good news is that I am starting to figure things out for me. In June, my A1c was 6.2, and my BG was 135.

dbacksfan46: FWIW, your blood glucose is a measure of the amount of sugar in your blood at the time the reading was taken. It is useful to you in making decisions about eating and exercise, but only gives you a general feeling for how you are doing long term. The A1c is a long-term measure of your health overall - more or less an average. It gives you a much better picture of how you are doing overall, and what your prospects are for what the doctors call "long term complications".

I have other terms of those "complications" that I won't use here, but we are talking about things like going blind, losing a foot or a leg, being on dialysis, heart attack and stroke. In other words, not a pretty picture. The good news is that it usually takes a while for the "complications" to show up after you have been a diabetic. The bad news is that clock usually starts long before you are diagnosed (in my case, quite likely I was more than 5 years into the clock when I was diagnosed).

So a fasting BG of 135 is not good (that would be more like 80, if I understand it correctly), but not awful either. My fasting BG tends to run between 140-170, personally. However the A1c of 9.5 is the real bad news.

Basically, an A1C reading over 7.0 means that you are looking at "complications", and you cannot be sure when the clock started on you diabetes, so you need to figure out how to stop it. The really god news is that it can be done, and if you caught it soon enough it can be done without insulin.
  • ericscheck68
    Options
    A1C level Estimated average blood sugar level
    5 percent 97 mg/dL (5.4 mmol/L)
    6 percent 126 mg/dL (7 mmol/L)
    7 percent 154 mg/dL (8.5 mmol/L)
    8 percent 183 mg/dL (10.2 mmol/L)
    9 percent. 212 mg/dL (11.8 mmol/L)
    10 percent 240 mg/dL (13.3 mmol/L)
    11 percent 269 mg/dL (14.9 mmol/L)
    12 percent 298 mg/dL (16.5 mmol/L)
    13 percent 326 mg/dL (18.1 mmol/L)
    14 percent 355 mg/dL (19.7 mmol/L)

This is a simple scale used to give your doctor a good idea of where your blood sugars have been over the last 3 months or so. Ideally, you want your A1C to be 6% or less... But that is hard to do if you have never really though about food in a different way.

I've been on insulin since I was 15 (Im a late type 1 diabetic) and I'm 44 now with no real complications to speak of, other than some lower leg neuropathy.

As far as controlling blood sugar, consider everything you put in your mouth (besides water) a means of raising your blood sugar. 1 sugar packet doesn't seem like much, does it? A few peanuts, not a big deal. A sugar free food? Big whoop! The truth is, everything that has a carbohydrate can raise your blood sugar. 1% milk, seems like a healthy choice, right? Well, all it has is less fat. Still high in carbs/calories. Pick up a carton of whole milk and a carton of 1/2% and you'll see what I mean.

As far as measuring goes, measurement in cups is just the way it is. It's a way to realize that portion sizes are greatly exaggerated in our minds. Think about portion sizes, visit the American diabetic associations website for details, and then evaluate how much you are eating on a daily basis.

Good luck!
  • somethingnewjc
    Options
    my blood sugars are largely under control and i attribute this largely to my exercising, which has helped me tremendously despite struggling to eat the right things (hence my joining MFP).... i'm not quite sure how it works, but for me the exercise seems to have a similar effect to constant use of a blood sugar regulating medication, and exercise has not only brought my sugar levels down, but has also stabilized my sugars from going as high or as low as they would sometimes get in the past....
  • scooterhaz
    scooterhaz Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I agree , exercise is the best thing you can do. Start with just a short walk and progress to longer walks. Very soon after walking and watching my food intake I felt much better and was sleeping great.