Veterans...

gdunican
gdunican Posts: 20 Member
Hey all you Veterans out there - I am a 100% disabled Vet. If I can do this MFP, tracking my intake of calories/getting great advice/doing whatever I can physically... You all can too.

I started this Discussion board to try to pull some Veterans together. But Military Vet or not, please jump in!

Greg
Maine

Replies

• janluke
    janluke Posts: 15 Member
    Andy from the UK here, 46 below knee amputation right leg needing to lose 80lbs this year.

I've lost weight loads of times before and understand how diet and fitness works but I always tried to do it alone and always fell by the wayside.

I'm now using MFP as a support network and my head feels in a much better place
  • gdunican
    Welcome aboard Andy! Fell free to post here anytime!
  • pheagles01
    pheagles01 Posts: 3 Member
    Hi Greg and Andy. I just recently joined MFP and am sad to see that there aren't any veteran's groups. I am only 20% disabled. I am currently taking the MOVE class through the VA and found this website because we are required to keep a food diary each week, which I have found to be really helpful. Well I hope we get more Vets to sign up. Thank you for your service.

Dana
  • janluke
    janluke Posts: 15 Member
    Hi Dana

welcome to the site

feel free to add me as a buddy if you're needing some friends to encourage you

Andy
  • gdunican
    Well, after 3 months I am back. Foot has healed up nicely. Putting one foot in front of the other again...

God Bless our Vets!
  • dcleone
    dcleone Posts: 3 Member
    Hi all. I'm also in the MOVE program and just learned about MFP today. I'm service connected 70/30, 53 years old and in a wheelchair for the past 7. I have arm crutches to use for when I am out of wheelchair a few minutes at a time. Most exercises must be strength ones only for me. Sooo glad to find a vets group here.
  • Muriyan
    Muriyan Posts: 1
    Hi Everyone! My friend suggested I use MFP to help with diet. Gained 45 lbs since I was injured overseas. Operations and injuries make it difficult to exercise and I enjoy food too much! Thought if I post I am not anonomous and saw disabled vet group. Cheers, Muriyan
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    New here... just 20% service connected myself (knee), but it does impact what exercises I can do. I want to get a bike, but need to wait a month or so for the funds. I'll look forward to seeing what you are all doing to win this battle!
  • proudnana
    proudnana Posts: 5 Member
    Just had my latest, and hopefully last, surgery - # 4 since my 2008 Iraq deployment. Now 70% service-connected with permanent and total disability, social security disability, and civil service disability retirement but was a very long struggle, especially considering I wanted to work and my job could not "accomodate" due to undue hardship on them. I'm not bitter and I don't blame them, but the anxiety and depression during all that process did not help in recovery from surgeries (each foot, gallbladder, and as of 5 days ago a paraesophageal hiatal hernia repair which means I'm on a liquid diet for the next month for sure and not sure about any exercise). I have gained over 50 lbs. since my return. I did quit smoking on 11/18/2011, and it helped a lot once I got past the first months after finishing up the patches. I hope to give and find support here as well as through the Move program at my local VA and the daily health-buddy program. It doesn't hurt to get all the support you can get.
    Proud Nana (of 4 incredibly smart and beautiful children ages 2 through 8 - the 2-year-old is the only granddaughter and is getting horribly spoiled (ha ha).):smile:
  • sailor1966
    sailor1966 Posts: 1 Member
    Good Morning All,
    Glad to see a Disabled Veteran Group. Starting this today, I have to do something to get my weight down. 100% service connected and struggling to loose my weight.

US Navy 1985-1993

Thanks to all who served!