Any Success TD1 and Paleo?

Options
wicklc
wicklc Posts: 70 Member
Anyone have success lowering A1Cs from doing the paleo diet? I'm having a hard time with my glucose levels and am looking into this.

Replies

• EchoDelta1013
    EchoDelta1013 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm a type 1 diabetic and have been eating Paleo for about a year. I've had a great deal of success with a Paleo food plan. My A1C was at 7.5 and has dropped to 6.1 while on Paleo. I used to take 150 units of fast acting insulin a day but now I take 20 to 30 units. My long lasting went from 70 units to 35 units. Please feel free to ask any questions as I've already decided to stay on Paleo for good.
  • wicklc
    Options
    Did you have a hard time with low blood glucose at first?
  • EchoDelta1013
    Options
    No, not at first. For the first few months, I was in the 80's to 110s. When I joined MFP in February, I began exercising to prepare for a foot operation I need. So with the exercises, my blood sugars have dropped lower now. As a result, I continually deal with hypoglycemia. Most times, I don't even take my morning fast acting insulin shot because my insulin resistance is very low. For my breakfast meal, I juice all veggies. The vegetables are low on the glycemic index scale so even with the juice drink having 31 carbs, my blood sugar never spikes.

I'm not sure if you exercise but if you do, then watch your blood sugars for hypoglycemia. But also adjust your insulin as well. I didn't exercise for the first 5 months on Paleo and my A1C lowered significantly.
  • wicklc
    Options
    I'm doing Insanity right now, I have an insulin pump and I take that off when exercising. Right now I have no idea what my A1c is I go in to the doctor in August but my glucose levels are all over the place- I'm constantly having huge swings from low to high and all over, I'm tired of feeling sick and exhausted that's why I am seriously wanting to do this, from what I have read it seems like a lot of people have success- I just want to make sure it's not a fad that I am falling into. Thanks for your feed back!
  • EchoDelta1013
    Options
    I've had so much success from eating Paleo that I'll remain on it for life that I don't see why there's more Type 1 diabetics who adopt the food plan. See, I don't refer to it as a diet. A diet means "temporary" :-) I try to keep my carb intake at about 100 grams a day. The 30 units of fast-acting insulin covers it fine. Last year & prior to Paleo, I was taking 150 units of fast-acting insulin and it still wasn't enough. Within the first week of eating Paleo (August 2012), my daily insulin requirement went down to half (75 units) and my glucose numbers stabilized.

I looked at your diary and I do see areas where eating Paleo could improve your glucose numbers. You could replace buttermilk pancakes with coconut flour or almond meal/flour pancakes. They're lower in carbs but taste great. Instead of a Subway sandwich, try a chopped salad. Not all Paleo-ites give up dairy (cheese). I gave it up but it's an option not to.

If I may suggest a book, "It Starts With Food" by Dan & Melissa Hartwig. It's based on the Whole 30 Challenge. If you're interested in the Whole 30 Challenge, go here: http://whole9life.com/itstartswithfood/ . It's very strict but people swear by it. Don't be intimidated though. I recently completed a 7-week Whole 30 challenge. That's when the amount of insulin I needed lowered again.

The book itself gives information on the foods that we normally eat (wheat, grains, legumes, processed foods, etc) can have detrimental effects to our health without us realizing it. Then it details what we could be eating (grass-fed meats, wild-caught fish, organic veggies & fruits, healthy oils, & tree nuts). Testimonials are provided for people who've had success on the Whole 30. I'm only suggesting the book because it's one of the better ones that provide easy to read information on Paleo eating.

I'm a member of an active Paleo support group on MFP: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/54-primal-paleo-support-group.

Good luck :)