Great Blog Post - "Friction"

Options
therejohn
therejohn Posts: 59 Member
I read this on a blog by CrossFit and just had to share! I know we can all relate!!

“Friction”

Injuries, setbacks, frustrations, nay-sayers, inner voices. . . “Friction.”

Friction is that resistance that always pushes against you when you are working toward your goals. Friction will always be there. The faster you try to go, the more friction will try to hold you back. As soon as you think things are going great, a new source of friction will show up to put the brakes on.

The key is to realize that you will always have to cope with friction, and that is a good thing.

Friction can be used as a tool to make you better. While some friction will always be around, the amount it can hold you back will vary greatly. Just like taking off that weight vest can make you feel lighter than air, pulling big weights can make daily objects feel like toys, and parenting can make your productivity superhuman when the kids are with Grandma and Grandpa; Friction will force you to adapt and become better. Understand that when you are experiencing great amounts of resistance, you will blast forward when that resistance is removed.

You do not need to seek out friction, but embrace it when it cannot be avoided.

Do not let it bring you down. Do not let it break you. Training around an injury, staying fit while terribly busy with work, making gains while planning a wedding or dealing with the death of a loved one. . . These times have the same feeling as that 5th rep on the 5th set of a terribly heavy 5 sets of 5 squat workout. Nobody looks forward to it.

Nobody enjoys that feeling. Nobody enjoys that type of grind.

But we can appreciate that it makes us better.

We can choose to endure it if we know that it will enable us to handle more next time.

Friction can make you better if you can learn from it.

Replies

• 2bawallaby
    2bawallaby Posts: 17
    Options
    Thanks for that. I am feeling 'friction' at the moment in many ways. Sometimes I feel I am self-sabotaging myself with it all too. Time to stop off to the pysch for a little chat I think.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Good post! Something we all need to hear and remember.