1st 10K

Options
rhall9058
rhall9058 Posts: 270 Member
So I'm graduating myself from the land of 5K's and on to the 10K's. This is the last week of training before the race on Sunday. I'm all ready to get up this morning (Monday after a long holiday weekend) and do an early run of 4-5 miles before the heat and humidity for the day kick in when.................ah crap................I got the sniffles and the congestion. So, rather than just skip it all together, I drank a crap load of water with Vitamin C, and went for a nice swim after work to hopefully clean out the sinuses. I'm hoping tomorrow will be better and the running will commence. OYE!!!! Here we go!

Replies

• schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Have a great race and time! Hope the sniffles stay away
  • LisaO85
    LisaO85 Posts: 152
    Options
    Good luck with your race. Listen to your body and walk if you need to, finishing is the most important part and no one will know how you crossed that line, just that you crossed it.
  • DucksandOranges
    DucksandOranges Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Good luck! Make sure you eat right the night before the race and morning of to avoid any tummy upset and keep your energy at its max!
  • barrpc
    barrpc Posts: 96
    Options
    First one....just finish. Get a feel for it. You will figure out how to improve over races. Have fun!
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I did my first 10K in May after getting ready for years. I stood there with the other runners and my mind was spinning what if this or what if that ? Was I to far toward the front or to far back should I run hard in the beginning etc etc Then the gun sounded people started to walk forward then jog a bit I started out and had a lump in my throat I was finally doing it.
    Then it happened I realize this isn't life or death some people are walking right from the start chatting some I pictured keeping up with were gone and I even passed some people in the first mile.
    I looked at pictures after and I have the biggest silliest smile and I am doing it. I am slow and I know it but in the excitement I finish 6 minutes faster than the best training 10K I ever did.
    I hope you feel better and have a great race, but most of all I hope you enjoy it, isn't that why we do it after all
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    When I ran my first 5k I was in the middle of an asthmatic episode caused by pollen. Don't worry, I don't run when the asthma is dangerous. Anyway, I put a little vicks under my nose, totally helps with congestion if it's too much of a problem.

Good luck with your race and remember, don't go out too fast.
  • rhall9058
    Options
    Thanks to everybody for the tips. I've been wondering this whole time how to approach this weekend. I've been reading the forums, and all the news articles. I'm glad to see that everybody went through the same apprehension and I'm not just losing my mind. I'm actually really excited for Sunday to get here, but at the same time, I keep asking "am I ready for this?" I guess we'll find out by about 10am on Sunday.

All of my training runs have been around 61-65 minutes, so by no means am I lighting the street on fire, but I'm hoping to get the actual race day result around 60 mins or less, but I'm not focusing on that so much. As long as I'm within my training runs for the first one, then I'll be completely happy and satisfied.

Again, thanks to all of you for the tips and inspiration!!
  • mjpTennis
    mjpTennis Posts: 6,165 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the decision and certainly enjoy. I also just ran my first 10k a few weeks ago. It was a fun time. I planned to run a fast start to see how I would react in a race atmosphere and learned a lot. Hope your sinuses clear for you and I do like the advice that this is something you are doing for yourself, run your race however it fits and have fun. The goodies are always better at the end of the 10k it seems!
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    My very first race I ever did was a 10k, it was a great experience. Just relax, have fun, and even though it's been said before it bears repeating, don't go out too fast!! You will feel amazing when it's over!!
  • rhall9058
    Options
    ......don't go out too fast!! You will feel amazing when it's over!!

I keep trying to remind myself of this, even during training. It's a 10K, so I can't just run my 5K times twice in a row (yet?). Trying to remember to come out slower and build up has been a challenge. Thanks for the reminder!!!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    ...so I can't just run my 5K times twice in a row (yet?).

If you run a 10K in the time it takes you to run two 5Ks, then you run 5K too slowly. :wink:
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I just did my first 10k a few weeks ago after having already done several half marathons as well as a full marathon. I found the length surprisingly challenging. I was doing the 10k for "fun" (work paid my entry fee) and I had run 11 miles the day before. My main mistake was starting out too fast. I know it's really hard not to, especially in a race environment, but definitely pace yourself and don't go out too quickly!

I hope you feel better. Running while feeling crummy is never fun. When I've got lung congestion, I just tell myself that maybe this is what it feels like to run somewhere with a higher altitude, like Denver :-).
  • reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    All good advice....take it slow starting out, cross that finish line (the feeling is awesome), walk if you have to..etc..

The best piece of advice I've ever gotten and I want to pass along to you is......HAVE FUN!

Good Luck on Sunday....
  • MartinaNYC
    MartinaNYC Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    ...so I can't just run my 5K times twice in a row (yet?).

If you run a 10K in the time it takes you to run two 5Ks, then you run 5K too slowly. :wink:

Agreed :wink:
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Very good advice here by others. Pacing on a new distance is always a challenge. Best to start yourself off slowly, even to the point that you feel that you're going slow, and gradually build up your speed. I always aim for negative splits, though depending on the course terrain, I often struggle to do.

Best of luck!