losing the weight before you go dress shopping??

Options
kts1988
kts1988 Posts: 108 Member
currently, i weigh about 16 pounds more than i would like to. i am excited to go dress shopping, but was planning on losing the weight before i go. however, i am curious about others' experiences.

for those who have gone dress shopping, did you try to reach your goal before you went? if not, are you just planning on having the dress altered?

i'm new to this, so i really don't have a good idea of how much a dress can be altered. i'm a size 6 now (i'm short) but would like to get back to a 2.

Replies

• jlo_gemini
    Options
    I currently weigh 200 lbs, but I am 6' 1", and back in December when i got engaged, I was my heaviest ever at 213 lbs.
    My goal is 185 lbs, but I started trying on dresses in May at about 205lbs. I did find that looking back on pictures only a few hours later made me think “do I really look like that?” but it encouraged me to try even more.

When I found the perfect dress I looked back loved the way I looked in it!!! I was only 10 lbs lighter and just that 10 lbs made me so much more confident to know that when I reach my goal, I will look AMZING!

Remember that we will judge ourselves the hardest! I was 30 lbs. lighter when I met my fiancé. At 170 lbs., I looked ill being so thin and I KNOW I did, but I still compare myself to that weight? even though i think i looked sick? why are women crazy like that?!!! lol
    Be confident that you will look amazing, it’s your day and your dress will be made to fit you… and compliment you.

Pick a dress that will compliment your body. the one thing i was told being so tall, was that my mermaid style dress was perfect for me to pull off, and a ball gown made me look massive! it was too much dress for my height. A frame was okay but took away from the length of my legs. Shorter women who like the look of a mermaid need to remember that it MAY make them look stout and shorter than they want, it removes legth from your legs and adds to your torso... with short legs already it can look uneven.

its all in the dress. have an idea of what you want, but let the profressionals show you other ideas too.

Just keep staring at that picture and you will get there! I’m working on mine every day!
  • Itsjustme86
    Itsjustme86 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I bought my dress in June only because I live abroad and was back home planning my wedding but I want a lose at least 50-60lbs before my wedding. I have no idea how much a dress can be altered and inside I am freaking out that if I actually lose the weight the dress wont fit and if I don't I will look terrible going down the aisle.

I would try to be as close as possible to your goal before dress shopping but also remember the time it takes to pick the perfect dress and also how long it takes to have the dress made and shipped to you!
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    ... I live abroad and was back home planning my wedding but I want a lose at least 50-60lbs before my wedding. I have no idea how much a dress can be altered and inside I am freaking out that if I actually lose the weight the dress wont fit and if I don't I will look terrible going down the aisle.

I could have written this!
    Personally I'm hoping to dress shop in November and hoping to be around 1/2 way to goal then. Hoping it will spur me on to keep going as well as make me pleased with what I've (hopefully) achieved so far..

(Getting Married Early May 2014)
  • mrsfurby14
    mrsfurby14 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I haven't gone dress shopping yet, i want to lose 40lbs before that day comes.
  • valisonbanks
    Options
    I can agree with @jlo_gemini about comparing ourselves to a weight we used to be. My wedding won't be until Halloween 2015, so I have a lot of time to lose the 25lbs goal I have, but I'm not sure if all this time is a good thing. If I don't reach my goal in 2 years I'll feel really disappointed, but if I reach it too soon, what if I get addicted to weight loss and become an unhealthy weight?

I'm starting at 150 and hope to reach 125-120 by the wedding (I'm a short one). I was 120 in high school, and for some reason I can't stop comparing myself to my HS weight. Then, I was a sprinter and jumper on the track team with a high metabolism and lean muscles. The image of my 18yr old body is burned into my head every time I look in the mirror.

I hope to be 130 by the time I dress shop, sometime next summer.
  • meganwnek
    meganwnek Posts: 6
    Options
    when do you go dress shopping? I plan on getting married in august. I have heard 8-9 months before but thats nov/dec which is when my fiancee's brother is expecting a baby and is a busy time of year. i went dress shopping with my best friend last january and it was crazy busy! is february too late?
  • julie_emma1
    julie_emma1 Posts: 146
    Options
    As long as you have enough time for the dress to come in (some stores need 6-8 months to order a dress), I'd say wait as long as you can! I ordered mine back in August 2012, for my August 3 2013 wedding, because I loved it and was just so excited. In retrospect, I could have ordered a size 4 or even a 2, instead of the 8 that I currently have, and saved tons of $$ in alterations (had to have it taken in 3 times).
  • meganwnek
    meganwnek Posts: 6
    Options
    from an 8 to a 2-4 ? congrats!! august 3rd is so soon!
  • julie_emma1
    julie_emma1 Posts: 146
    Options
    Thanks!! It took almost the full year but I did it -- I started my diet in the summer and then using MFP in the fall, and lost about 20 lbs total :-). Now I am just trying to maintain this weight for the next 3 weeks lol.
  • Bobo512
    Bobo512 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I haven't gone dress shopping yet, because I am truly unhappy with my weight. I have been on MFP for about a month now, and I hvae lost almost 20lbs. I ended up gaining a bunch of weight this year when I needed to go on a medication, and I just do not feel like myself. The wedding date is still not set in stone due to serious issues that I have been having with my jaw, but I really want to be at my goal weight before I go shopping. I just want to look in the mirror and feel confident. My fiance is wonderful and loves me how I am, but the photos and such, I want to look back at them for the rest of my life and be happy. I don't know if this comes off as being superficial, but it is how I feel. I am focused and determined to get to where I am comfortable with myself.