I want to be on speed!

Options
KansasRider
KansasRider Posts: 76 Member
Ok, been riding since 2009, I'm really tired of being a slow spoke... for a while, I did average 14 mph, but that was before the cross country move and then injury.. and no, sorry I'm not looking to be a 14mph rider when I'm really going.. I don't mind going 10-12 mph on social rides, but I want to be faster... a lot faster. I'm willing to work hard and do what it takes, I just need to know what I need to do and have a plan.
I know sprints help, and I do those.. A lot of my riding is windy rides... (it's Kansas afterall)
Any other suggestions?

Thanks guys

Snow

Replies

• FatDadSlim
    FatDadSlim Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    "Ride lots." -- Eddy Merckx
  • cpaman87
    cpaman87 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I am a slow poke as well. My problem is that I don't try to ride everyday, twice a week is about average. I have been told that riding with someone who is better than I am would help but I don't want to be the guy who slows everyone down.
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Find a group that is faster and hang on until they drop you then come back the next week and do it again. It's tricky to find the right group, not so fast that you can't hang on, but fsat enough that you have to work. I also use strava to race against myself. I even have a few private segments that are just for me. On Cyclinks advice I picked a stretch that takes me 8min to complete on a good day. Go easy out hit it hard on that stretch then cool down and repeat. He said eventually you try to get it down closer to 5 minutes. I'm not there yet, but I do see improvement.
  • KansasRider
    Options
    having a horrible time finding any group in my area. but still looking.. thanks Nikki.. I will try that. I've got a stretch like that I can do.
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    One year ago I was lucky to hang on to a group that was averaging 16 mph. Today I lead a group ride in the morning and we averaged over 22 mph. You have to push yourself beyond your limits every day. The more you do that, the faster you get each day. It just takes time.
  • TDSeest
    TDSeest Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Ride downhill with a huge tailwind; add on 80 pounds in the packs. It's the only thing that works for me.:laugh:
  • uboom
    uboom Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    What does your week look like now? Add structure to your rides.

Here is a basic structure and I can go into more details of what to do, but need to know what you do now.

Monday - Recover
    Tuesday - Sprints
    Wed - Long Endurance
    Thur - Intervals/Hills
    Friday - recover
    Sat - Group ride that you can stay with for most of the ride, but usually get dropped by the end.
    Sun- Endurance pace group ride.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    lots of good advice already - main one I can recommend is this

Don't just get on your bike and ride... Make sure every ride has a deliberate purpose. That doesn't mean go out and hammer yourself insensible every time - I've pretty much raised my average speed from around 18kph (11mph) to nearer 25kph (15.5) over the last 2 years mainly by riding 80% of my mileage in zone 3 or below (if you don't know what I'm on about read this - http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/article/heart-rate-monitor-training-for-cyclists-28838/ )

Probably 60% of the time's actually in zone 2 believe it or not, going up to z3 for the hills.

That 80% builds the strength, endurance and aerobic system to support the harder stuff..

The other rides are more focussed, harder and more painful - interval sessions - either find a hill that takes arouund 5 minutes to climb and ride it repeatedly (almost impossible for me around here - only couple of candidates are a bit too far away to ride back from after 8-9 repeats!) - or - just do sessions where you ride 5 minutes almost flat out, then 5 minutes spinning and gasping for breath and repeat (usually ad-nauseum - literally!)

But the important thing is to know what you're going to do before you go out for a session - otherwise, you'll just end up doing neither one thing nor another.

(I should also add, that this side of the pond, this thread title has an entirely different connotation, especially when it comes to cycling - conjuring up images of Tom Simpson on M.Ventoux (or in my case, the way I spent the last month of my degree course frantically completing my thesis/dissertation! :laugh:))
  • KansasRider
    Options
    I'm looking for a group ride in my area... I could do a schedule like Uboom suggested.
  • ksavvy
    ksavvy Posts: 52
    Options
    I love reading all your suggestions, serious or not (I'm looking at you TDSeest :-). Good luck, Snow!
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I'm slowly increasing mileage ... of course last week killed my training a bit with being sick. However this is what my normal week looks like

Monday - Rest
    Tuesday - Easy Recovery ride
    Wednesday - Short length Brisk (as hard as I can go) Wednesday evening Spin workout
    Thursday - Medium length - Pace
    Friday - Easy Recovery ride
    Saturday - Medium length - Pace
    Sunday - Long length

I am finding that I'm increasing a little on speed, although that isn't necessarily what I'm concentrating on.
  • katozdad
    katozdad Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I also want to increase my velocity. I have been given advice from colleagues and agree that joining a group is probably the best way to achieve this. I have also been advised that timing regarding joining a group is also important. February and March is best in the UK as many are still on the turbo trainers in the garage at that stage and others are just starting to build up there speed following the winter break. If you leave it much longer than this the average speed of the group will have built up and that could have a negative affect on your motivation.

I haven't shared this advice with anyone on this group before, but the logic appears sound. That said, others may disagree.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I've always been relatively fast but with poor endurance. Over the winter I followed a heart rate zone training plan using a Spinning bike and it made a huge difference when spring came around.

This is worth a read http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/article/heart-rate-monitor-training-for-cyclists-28838/

The low zone training is deadly dull but really pays benefits in being able to maintain speed at a lower heart rate.

The other big factor was losing weight! Bit pointless buying an expensive light weight bike when you are carrying 20+ pounds of fat. :laugh:
  • matsprt1984
    matsprt1984 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I would be interested in hearing what you mean by fast.

Fast as in a long steady pace at XXX MPH, or fast as in Sprinting, or fast as in being able to hold on to local club rides ??
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    I also want to increase my velocity. I have been given advice from colleagues and agree that joining a group is probably the best way to achieve this. I have also been advised that timing regarding joining a group is also important. February and March is best in the UK as many are still on the turbo trainers in the garage at that stage and others are just starting to build up there speed following the winter break. If you leave it much longer than this the average speed of the group will have built up and that could have a negative affect on your motivation.

I haven't shared this advice with anyone on this group before, but the logic appears sound. That said, others may disagree.

Sounds pretty much spot on in terms of when to start - if you look on the local teams websites, they'll probably have a calendar of club rides - what you want to be doing is joining before what they sometimes refer to as "reliability runs" - which are probably the last of the long steady distance rides, before the quick lads start trying to rip each others legs off... Sadly, around here, most of the clubs bar one seem to be heavily into the racing side of things and the concept of "no man left behind" rides is completely alien to them - hence why I seem to be stuck in "billy-no-mates land" - I can do 70-80 mile rides at around 16mph, provided it's not too hilly a terrain, but anything longer on my own and I get slightly concerned in case I have an off, or a major mechanical and find myself stranded 60-70 miles from home. I know I've got my credit card and a phone, but a 70mile taxi-ride isn't going to come cheap... And 16mph is probably slow enough to see me dropped fairly unceremoniously...
  • jhalsey205
    jhalsey205 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    ... Add structure to your rides.

Here is a basic structure and I can go into more details of what to do, but need to know what you do now.

Monday - Recover
    Tuesday - Sprints
    Wed - Long Endurance
    Thur - Intervals/Hills
    Friday - recover
    Sat - Group ride that you can stay with for most of the ride, but usually get dropped by the end.
    Sun- Endurance pace group ride.

This is golden advice. On a related note, something that helped me a lot was not trying to "kill it" each ride. I tried to ride consecutive days, with a "fast/hard" ride (sometimes, but not every ride) followed by slower "recover" ride. I really tried to ride 6 days with 1 day to rest and start again.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    ...something that helped me a lot was not trying to "kill it" each ride. I tried to ride consecutive days, with a "fast/hard" ride (sometimes, but not every ride) followed by slower "recover" ride. I really tried to ride 6 days with 1 day to rest and start again.

Yep - it took me a while to work it out, and it's partly what works for the individual, but if I do anything more than 3 consecutive days of "training" then i'm usually into "junk miles" territory...

Best thing I did was get hold of a power meter (albeit one of those Powercal "pseudo meter" belts) and start taking notice of the TSS (training stress score) figures from my ride. After about a year of use, I now realise that, no longer being a young "racing snake" I take a while to recover - and basically I can "absorb" a TSS of about 0.6 per day... I keep a running total of the TSS from each ride and as soon as I hit 2.0 I have a day off the bike - each day off the bike counts as a TSS of -2.5 (again, this has pretty much been worked out using trial and error)

Works a bit like this

2/9 - 30 miles Z2-3 (Steady riding) - TSS 0.75
    3/9 - 32 miles Z3-4 (Tempo, Windy) - TSS 1.15 Running Total - 1.30 (0.75 + 1.15 - 0.6) (the 0.6 being overnight recovery 2/9 to 3/9)
    4/9 - 34 miles z2-3 with hilly section z4-5 - TSS 2.25 Running Total - 1.8 (1.30+1.55 - 0.6) - time for a day off
    5/9 - day off - running total 0.0 (2.25 - 2.5) - nb counter doesn't go -ve :wink:
    6/9 - 18 miles z2-3 (mtb, raining) - TSS 0.54
    7/9 - 26 miles z2-3 Steady ride - TSS 0.68 Running Total - 0.62 (0.54+0.68 - 0.6 )
    8/9 - 79 miles z3-4 (Tempo, Long Flat ride) - TSS 2.64 Running total 2.66 (2.64+0.62-0.6) - rest day time again
    9/9 day off - running total 0.14 (2.64-2.5)

and so on... okay, it's a bit obsessive (allright - a LOT obsessive) but it works for me!

Another little trick is to take your resting pulse on waking. Any unexplained rise in the RHR can be an indication of overtraining - if not sure, take an easier session and see if it improves next morning.