NSV; Horse related

Options
nolongerXXL
nolongerXXL Posts: 222 Member
I used to be a very active rider/shower (WP, halter, equitation and trail.) Along with just for fun stuff, such as obstacles and trail riding. I also trained my one horse to drive last year. Anyways, as the weight piled on, I backed away from riding. It isn't fair for my (very stocky) mare to carry my very stock *kitten*. I decided that when I lost the weight, back to where I was when I was riding regularly (or the same size) I would pick up riding again. Well, I've surpassed that weight and I'm easily in that size (roomy at that!) I WANT to ride (which I haven't in past 6-9 months.) I rode my mare bareback for about 10 minutes last weekend. It was nice!

Today, I decided to tack up and just do it. I really WANTED to ride. I also tacked up my old guy for my seven year old to ride. We rode around my property (he isn't ready to be set loose off the property yet.) I jogged my lovely mare a little while instructing son. My son decided he was done (he said his butt hurt!) My husband put up the old guy for me. I decided to do a little loping on my sweet girl. It was amazing. We didn't lope much as she is unfit, infact I think I maybe fitter than her!

It was a good day. :)

Please share your NSV's if you have them.

Replies

• xcga33i
    xcga33i Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Love it!!!!! Did you see how many caleries riding burns?!? Wow such a fun way to burn! I miss my horses dearly!!! I have rode since I was 3. I was getting my own pony ready by age 5 and trail riding with my parents. My mom couldn't pull me off my pony. We also had a mare we got when I was 4 and we had her till I was 20 she was 24. She was a blue roan quarter horse... I really miss her. A few years go my aunt bought me a standard gelding but I had only had a few month to heal from my second c- section so I wasn't ready to ride again. She sold the farm and all 5 horses when she got married a few months ago.

Hope your son falls in love with horses and riding. My 8 year old got his first pony when he was 2. She was great but we lost her when he was 5 and the new pony was weeeelllllll a PONY. She had a big additude and he couldn't stand to ride her. I miss my old mare and donkey I grew up with.

Enjoy your rides...your mare will love you for it.
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    no NSV for horses yet, I still have about 40lbs to loose before I would feel comfortable and not hurt the horses back to get in the saddle. That's why I haven't bought my own first horse yet :). Going to wait till I can jump on and gallop through the fields. I miss the feel of a horse under my legs *sighs* :) but so proud of your accomplishment!! ride a lap for me!!
  • nolongerXXL
    nolongerXXL Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Love the stories, XCGA! We all have those special horses and moments that we love. I love "farm" life, but it is daunting at times!

OMG, You'll be back in the saddle soon. It will be a wonderful feeling when you get back on. All things I love about riding came back to me.
  • BellehavenfarmDawn
    BellehavenfarmDawn Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I ride my OTTB almost every evening...it's so hot that I just give him a shower and a hand graze at noon. He has had it easy for the last two months....new farm and his first g-friend, Darby. It was pretty hard getting him tacked up without his beloved Darby! but today after his cool down hosing HE wanted to hand graze! finally he doesn't think he is a stallion anymore!!

But the other night we were out alone and I let him hand gallop around a hayfield! woooweee nothing like it.

It reminded me how much I love riding alone. We can do what we want, When we want. I don't mean to brag, but my boy is the best trail horse ever and barefoot too. Everyone wants to ride with us because he doesn't spook, always goes where I want, never acts up....any more and has speed when asked. That's 8 years of positive training I have put into him! And continue. I love horses. even if I could not ride from an injury or something, I'd be out there training tricks!

In the summer I have a sheepskin on my saddle and ride in nylon shorts and a light T shirt because the heat kills me. It's not as pretty as jophurs and half chaps but I feel good!

Dawn