Has anyone used a midwife?

Options
Hi PPPers!

Has anyone seen a midwife for their pregnancy/birth? I am considering using one for my second, when the time comes, but have some reservations. Did you give birth at home or in the hospital? I think I want to stick with a hospital but am not sure if midwives can deliver in hospitals. What was your overall experience? Did anyone have an emergency type situation in which you had to end up with an ob/ csection?

Replies

• momRN2B
    momRN2B Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I used midwives for both my children both delivered in a hospital. The first group of midwives I used I was very unhappy with since they weren't really there for me during my labor and i ended up getting an epidural. So for my second child I switched to a smaller group of midwives which consists of 2 midwives one of them actually delivered my husband and most of my sister and brother in laws. Since its just 2 midwives they take on less patients and are able to spend more time with each patient. In the end the midwife who was supposed to be with me during the labor and delivery was sick with bronchitis so she sent a substitute midwife. I had never met her before but she was absolutely amazing. She was there for me the entire time and helped me have a completely natural, unmedicated hospital birth. I gave birth to a 8 lb 11 oz baby and I had no tearing at all. So yes if you find a good midwife you can have an amazing hospital birth. Just make sure you do your research about the midwife first. Good luck, i hope this helps
  • KariAnn_09
    KariAnn_09 Posts: 19
    Options
    Do you have any advice on how to properly research a particular midwife? I'm having trouble finding much info about the few in my area. Maybe I'm just in a non-midwife-friendly area?
  • momRN2B
    momRN2B Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Do u know anyone in your area who has used a midwife who u can personally ask. If not look them up online or call them and ask if you can speak to some of their previous patients.
  • ks4e
    ks4e Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I had a midwife with my second child and it was the best experience for me. First, call your insurance company and see if they will allow midwives. I had to have an OB for the billing code/name, and I did have to see the OB a few times when the midwife was unavailable, but it wasn't too big of a deal. Discuss with the insurance the options you have for a hospital/home birth. Some insurances will not cover a home birth, but there are also midwives who will allow you to set up a payment plan with them.

There are many different types of midwives and you will only find the right one when you set up appts and arm yourself with questions. For example, some midwives are more like OBs and others are more into holistic medicine and natural births. I had a midwife who was sort of in between the two.

Make sure you discuss exactly what type of birth you want with your midwife. Have a written birth plan set to review with your midwife and also to have with you at the hospital (if you choose to have a hospital birth).

Do your own research as well. Never blindly trust any doctor to understand your body fully. I was aiming for a natural birth so I read Ina May's "Guide to Childbirth", "The Bradley Method", and "Hypnobirthing." Those books better prepared me for what to expect and how to listen to my own body.

My daughter arrived right on her due date (the OB was urging me for an induction but I knew it wasn't necessary) and I had a hospital birth that was all natural. Because of the books, I listened to my body, and instead of rushing to the hospital right away, I walked around my house and timed my contractions. I had a fairly quick labor and an easy delivery. Very different from my very first delivery.

I think the best thing to do is to find a midwife you are comfortable with and can trust. Same with an OB.

Good luck!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    In England you just see a community midwife attached to your doctor's surgery when you're pregnant. You may not see the same one every time, and they will generally not be the midwife who delivers your baby. Babies are all delivered by midwives here, unless you get into difficulty. Maternity wards are mainly staffed by midwives, and we have some places called midwife-lead units.

We don't get that many appointments, especially in 2nd and subsequent pregnancies. We have scans at the hospital at 12 and 21 weeks.

You will only be induced early due to medical problems such as pre eclampsia and gestational diabetes. If you're overdue, most areas will leave you 12 days before induction.

You're encouraged not to come to hospital until you're properly in labour, and if you show up less than 4cm dilated you may be sent home.

My first baby was 10 days overdue and I didn't arrive at hospital until I was 10cm dilated! Nice and quick and easy, bit of gas and air. They don't encourage epidurals here, although you can ask for them. My midwife was amazing, and I didn't need stitches even.

My 2nd was 12 days late and induced. 4 hours 21 mins, just gas and air, no tears again. I was lucky again to have amazing midwives.

So I know the system is different in the US, but I've been impressed with my midwives.
  • rubybeach
    rubybeach Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I had a midwife team and it was AMAZING! Seriously, cannot say enough goods things.

My family was initially concerned as its not common in the US, however, once they say the care provided they were 100% in favor of midwives.

Background: I'm from the US living in Canada, so I don't know if this applies to US midwife system.

My pros...... (I had 2 midwives....only one was at delivery)

- midwife always available to me during labor and I had a long labor. She met us at the hospital on Thursday night for a "sleep cocktail" as I'd been in labor for 24 hours without progressing.

- met me on Friday to perform accupuncture on me.

- came to my house Friday at 4pm to labor at home, then went to the hospital and stayed with me until I delivered the next day.

- visited our home EVERYDAY for the first week to check on me and our baby.

- available via text/phone whenever I needed them. Cared for us for 6 weeks, but will still let me call and see them if I want.

- I delivered in the hospital.

Honestly, it was like having calm, medically educated and trained friends there with you.

I would have a midwife again without any question!

Good luck :)
  • smb0701
    smb0701 Posts: 234
    Options
    YES. i had the same midwife for all of my four pregnancies. she did see me all during my four pregnancies and she delivered three of them. my last daughter was a bit stubborn and did not want to turn in last 2 weeks of her time with me, so i had to end up having a c-section and she came at 42 weeks. just stubborn.
  • DragonSquatter
    DragonSquatter Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    Yes, and I HIGHLY recommend it.

I ended up having an emergency C-section, and my midwife stayed with me through the whole thing after 30 hours of labor. I cannot praise her enough. I doubt any doctor would've given me that level of care.
  • dinomomma
    dinomomma Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    YES, I had an OB with my first and it wasn't that she was awful but having a midwife with my second was amazing! She was so present during my hospital stay and so encouraging during birth, she respected me and my choices. I definitely plan to use a midwife for baby three as well. It looks like there are two midwives in your area, Danville?
  • danifo0811
    danifo0811 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I went to a practice where you could chose to see an OB or MW. The MW appointments were way longer than the OB and I preferred it.

I ended up with an OB because my daughter was born at 33 weeks because my water broke. I still had an unmedicated birth though.
  • KariAnn_09
    KariAnn_09 Posts: 19
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your experiences. This helps a lot. I haven't had a single person I've talked to in person or online say that they had a mediocre/bad experience with a midwife, which really impresses me.
  • 80lbslost
    80lbslost Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I had a midwife with my most recent delivery last year at age 40 and it was my best delivery yet! No pain medication, no complications and all was quiet and peaceful :) I was fortunate to have a midwife available in my OB's office and didn't need to find one on my own. I would highly recommend using one.
  • TheJamLady
    TheJamLady Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Yes, I had a midwife with all 3 of my deliveries- 2 in hospital and the last at the newly built Birth Centre. The support and postpartum follow up was wonderful. I recommend meeting the midwives. Here, we're just lucky enough to get in. The demand is much higher than the supply of trained midwives.